Nissan Titan Forum banner

Mod after Mod and still missing that Umphf!

5K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  blk04titan 
#1 ·
Ive done a lot of research through this site before deciding on modifications on my Titan. What I ended up deciding on was a Volant CAI Powercore with scoop, Stillen HP radiator, JEB stainless steel headers (shorties) Billy Boat catback exhaust (dual in/one out) and the Superchip flashpaq. Given the amount of add ons that were put in I can't help it to feel like I'm not getting the full potential from these mods. Any advice? I'm averaging 13MPG. I had mid 14 before anything was put on. I'm not expecting to fly the space shuttle either, but maybe someone out there can see what I may have not done right.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

#3 · (Edited)
I custom tune via UpRev would be able to get you the most out of your truck but it's on the expensive side.
:imwithstu

With headers, a custom tune is nearly a must.

What part of the performance are you not happy with? Is it performance off the line? Mid range power? Top End? Passing power? All?

As far as your mileage, I suspect your foot got heavier in testing the mods. :D

#6 ·
You need to run it at a 1/4 mile track and get some numbers. Without knowing your 1/4 track mile time, you have no idea if you are missing anything.

#14 ·
Now you will feel the umphf. Just hope who ever is doing the tune has done one before. Keep us posted and we want to see some numbers! :redblob"

#10 ·
just curious on your exhaust pipe size BEFORE the muffler. it wouldn't be 3" pipe ? if it is, theres your problem.

#15 ·
I looked at the Uprev webiste and called one of their certified tuners in North Carolina, National Speed Inc. Called them, and explained my situation. They def. agree that due to the headers my best choice would be an Uprev tune. My shift point may be a bit off as well as my A/F ratio. Ill post what I come up with Saturday afternoon.

#18 ·
Well, the dyno is what makes some unhappy. Some people just don't know how to tune the Titan...Plus I feel like a good street tune will outperform a dyno tune all day.....High HP on the dyno doesn't mean a fast truck

#19 ·
The place where I'm getting my tune from explained the options to me. I simply want a fast street truck. Trying to remember this as best as I can, the dyno they are using has a load bearing ability that can be applied to the truck. So if tuned in that manner I get get the most out of my truck in a realistic sort of way. That was sort of icing on the already sweet cake. Im hoping that works in my favor. They're also going to add a switch for two different tune modes, I think that what he called it. So I can have a real aggressive tune and a more toned down one. Cant wait until Saturday.

#20 ·
Some one getting an early Christmas

#23 ·
That's a big NO NO!.. that thing is way to expensive not worth anyones money, besides there are cheaper tuners out there that can do the same if not more than the vk pro.

#25 ·
Cash not an issue Uprev all the way no questions asked!! Best bang for buck besides would be BDPP, Superchips or Hypertech.

Reactions: O-FiveCC
#28 ·
One thing to consider before investing in a UpRev Tune at a Shop vs Buying the Software yourself, is what do you end up owning?

Is it just a 2 MAP Tune and no Cipher Software or Osiris Software for your own laptop? What happens when you make further changes - cost wise for updates. Or what if a dealer flashes your ECU and you need to reflash to get your Tunes? Or do you get Dyno Tuned and the Cipher and Osiris Software, so you can get low cost updates and use Cipher to DataLog your truck as much as you like, and read OBDII Codes as well?

I have Osiris Tuner and 5 MAPS, but someday would like to get the shop in NC to do a Dyno on mine.

#30 ·
#31 ·
The VK Pro does not elimintae the Throttle restriction....Uprev is by the far superior to anything on the market for tuning the Titan. The only reason people get the handhelds is 1: it is cheaper and 2: they don't want all the power, just a nice jump in power ( for 1/2 the price of Uprev), Oh, and you have to use a laptop with Uprev, which some can't do.....Uprev is the only company that does custom tuning for a Titan. And we all know,, a custom is better than a Generic one size fits all tune that the handhelds give..Uprev is just twice as expensive. You can get 5 maps with the Uprev Software. I have stock, economy (better gas mileage), a track tune, a track tune with WOT at 10 MPH, and a street tune. All can be switched in less than 5 seconds inside your vehicle

#32 · (Edited)
Uprev can also datalog every little thing going on in your truck, and logs 0-60 and clears trouble codes..Also check Dragtimes.com and around the Titan forums...Check out what every low 14 and 13 second Titan has for tuning, and the one or two 12 second Titans too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.