Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a mildew smell problem coming from their A/C unit? I often change out the in-cabin filter about once/twice a year, but the smell always seem to come back. Has anyone done a deodorizer service with the Nissan dealership? Do they even provide this service?

I tried doing some of the home remedies (lysol spray) as suggested by Titan Talk members, but it doesn't seem to last. It only takes out the smell for a month or so.

Titan Talk - please help!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any suggestion?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Okay I've got a few tips that should help you...

1. Make sure that the AC drain tube is clear and draining outside the truck properly. The problem still exists in newer Ttitans. Even if you don't have any water on your floorboard you still want to do this mod. Check it out...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...those-c-drain-leaks-into-passenger-floor.html

2. Go to the dealer and pick up some BG Frigi Fresh and Frigi Clean. Most Nissan dealers should carry the stuff since they carry the BG line of car maintenance products. The stuff isn't cheap but it works! Follow the directions on the cans. I didn't drill any holes into the air box as I didn't see the need. Instead I shot the foam into the evaporator from the drain tube. ***You may want to cover your seats in plastic as the foam will get everywhere and will likely cause stains on the fabric seats.***We all know how easily the Titan's seats stain.

3. Preventative maintenance-
Turn your AC off about 10-15 minutes from your destination, but keep the fan going to dry out the evaporator and parking it for the night. Especially important if you park on an incline since the condensation can't drain properly and ends up sitting in the evaporator and inviting mold and mildew.

4. Follow up with Frigi Fresh every 3-4 months by spraying it into the vent and running the heater for 20-30 minutes. Use the fresh air function as much as possible instead of recirculate.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Make sure that the AC drain tube is clear and draining outside the truck properly. The problem still exists in newer Ttitans. Even if you don't have any water on your floorboard you still want to do this mod. Check it out...
Where is the AC drain tube you speak of? Is it underneath the truck? In the meantime, I'll look in the manual.

4. Follow up with Frigi Fresh every 3-4 months by spraying it into the vent and running the heater for 20-30 minutes. Use the fresh air function as much as possible instead of recirculate.
The vent you are talking about is the fresh air vent or cowl vent?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try as you say. I often use recirculate. I've been doing so since I've bought it. And the humidity in Houston does not help either. It was ok in the winter, but now that the heat is back, it funks for the first few minutes you turn it on.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Where is the AC drain tube you speak of? Is it underneath the truck? In the meantime, I'll look in the manual.

The vent you are talking about is the fresh air vent or cowl vent?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try as you say. I often use recirculate. I've been doing so since I've bought it. And the humidity in Houston does not help either. It was ok in the winter, but now that the heat is back, it funks for the first few minutes you turn it on.
You can the drain tube via the engine compartment. There's a photo in the link I provided.

Yes, using the recirculate button all the time will eventually cause the odor, especially in high humidity areas like TX and FL. Once you use the "BG Frigi Clean Foam" it'll kill all the bacteria causing the odors. Here's a video... BG Findashop - Search for an authorized BG service center near you!

If your Nissan dealer doesn't have it call around to other dealers or order it on-line.

I've never used the BG conditioner for the compressor.

Yes, you'll need to spray the "Frigi Clean" into the vent like you probably did with Lysol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts