Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that the Northeast has been hammered this year with winter storms, but I live in Texas! We usually see a few flurries, maybe an inch sometimes. We just had 7.5" over the last couple of days. It finally started melting off today, but now they are forecasting for more snow starting tomorrow night and even more coming in on Wednesday. I like to see the snow, but driving in it with the other fools around here who have never driven in it before is what scares the hell out of me. I lived in NJ and Va. So I have learned how to drive in snow and ice, but here in DFW, most people have no idea and end up causing unnecessary wrecks. I drove home from work the other morning and saw countless wrecks. I almost got taken out by some idiot driving a Cadillac who was doing 50 mph and decided he wanted to exit at the last second, from two lanes over. Funny thing was, the snow was high enough that you could not see where the curb started after the exit ramp, he thought he was going onto the ramp, but actually the ramp had ended and he hit the hidden curb that started after the ramp and went airborne onto the access road. Just another reason I hate driving in the snow around here. I don't think I would be as nervous if I were living somewhere were people saw snow on a regular basis and knew how to navigate through it. Just my little rant for the week.:bangit:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Same down here in Tyler. I don't mind the snow at all, but watching what some people attempt makes me very nervous! I didn't realize Dallas got that much, we had about 3 inches here and that was enough to send cars everywhere. I did hear that y'all had a lot more ice on the roads than we did though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same down here in Tyler. I don't mind the snow at all, but watching what some people attempt makes me very nervous! I didn't realize Dallas got that much, we had about 3 inches here and that was enough to send cars everywhere. I did hear that y'all had a lot more ice on the roads than we did though.
You have no idea, we had about 3 inches of sleet come down about two days before the snow, it all froze that night and all of the roads were literally covered in two to three inches of solid ice, it was a nightmare. They don't use salt here, just sand, which did little to melt the ice. The side roads were horrible, but the highways were somewhat navigational, just had to be real careful going through over/underpasses. Next the 7" of snow came, which just hid all of the ice on the roads, so now were were driving on heavily packed snow, which is fine until you hit the thick ruts of ice hidden beneath, that made it extremely hazardous. You could not see any of the lane dividing markers, so people were just making up their own lanes, i would try to stay in the tracks of the vehicle in front of me, but when they would change lanes (the imaginary lanes), it would try to pull my truck in their ruts, so I would have to easily force my truck to stay straight and find some other ruts to fall in and follow, but it would make the truck real squirrelly trying to get into new ruts to follow. people were fishtailing to the left and right of me, I was worried one of them might fishtail into the side of my truck, it took me over an hour to get home, which usually takes about 15 min.

·
Registered
722 Posts
We got 1 inch in Austin, and you would have thought that it was the Apocalypse. EVERYTHING closed down and all of the snow had melted by noon. Us Texans...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got 1 inch in Austin, and you would have thought that it was the Apocalypse. EVERYTHING closed down and all of the snow had melted by noon. Us Texans...
LOL, yea SA had a dusting and they closed the city down. My mother lives in SA and she called me and said they told her not to bother coming in the whole day because the roads were too bad.....welcome to Texas!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Bunch of wooses!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
173 Posts
. I don't think I would be as nervous if I were living somewhere were people saw snow on a regular basis and knew how to navigate through it. Just my little rant for the week.:bangit:
here in CO we get snow pretty regular, when the forcast says "snow" people
start sliding in the ditches and the roads are still dry, it only gets worse when it actually snows!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here in CO we get snow pretty regular, when the forcast says "snow" people
start sliding in the ditches and the roads are still dry, it only gets worse when it actually snows!

LOL, well, in that case, I guess we are doing OK here in Texas then. Glad we are not the only ones who can't drive in snow.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few pics of the snow in front of my house, even the dogs were getting bored being stuck in the house for four days, LOL

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
you guys are lucky lol i want it to snow over here in Socal...lol there hasn't been any snow here in Big Bear so snowboarding suck ha ha. it need to snow over here and not the East coast.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you guys are lucky lol i want it to snow over here in Socal...lol there hasn't been any snow here in Big Bear so snowboarding suck ha ha. it need to snow over here and not the East coast.
be careful what you wish for. I wanted it to snow here, and it finally did. I loved it until I had to drive to work in it. Your whole perspective on it changes when you have to be out on the roads in it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, Looks like we are in for another round of snow next Tuesday/Wednesday.......geeze, this is getting old.

...SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER POSSIBLE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...

A STRONG ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS NORTH TEXAS LATE
TUESDAY EVENING. GUSTY NORTH WINDS...MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES...
AND GOOD CHANCES FOR WINTER PRECIPITATION WILL SPREAD ACROSS NORTH
TEXAS OVERNIGHT TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

A STRONG UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHERN ROCKIES
ON TUESDAY AND MOVE EAST ACROSS OKLAHOMA AND TEXAS ON WEDNESDAY.
WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION WILL AFFECT MUCH OF NORTH TEXAS TUESDAY
NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. THE PRECIPITATION MAY START AS LIQUID
RAIN...BUT CHANGEOVER QUICKLY TO FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW BY
WEDNESDAY MORNING. SIGNIFICANT ICE...SLEET AND SNOW ACCUMULATIONS
WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THIS SYSTEM. IF CURRENT FORECAST TRENDS
CONTINUE TO SUGGEST THIS POSSIBILITY...WINTER STORM WATCHES WILL
LIKELY BE REQUIRED ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH TEXAS IN THE COMING DAYS.

THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD TRAVEL IMPACTS
ACROSS NORTH TEXAS BEGINNING TUESDAY NIGHT. IF YOU ARE PLANNING
TRAVEL ACROSS NORTH TEXAS OR SURROUNDING AREAS ON WEDNESDAY...
CHECK THE LATEST FORECASTS BEFORE DEPARTING.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
While I do appreciate the gripe, tough crap. I'm about to go outside and roof rake for the third time this year. I now have about 32 inches of snow on my entire roof with about a 9 inch ice dam at the edge. We also have a little over 36 inches in the yard that I need to try to walk through to even get to the back of the house. So while I feel your pain, you will most likely have no snow remaining in a month while we will have potentially more on top of what we have.

FWIW, it doesn't matter what state you live in and what the driving conditions are, there are always idiots. :)

Reactions: Titan-ization

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
I don't think the in-ability to drive in the snow is centralized. I think over the years the general population has lost some intelligence and overall common sense. I lived in Washington, north of Seattle...People couldn't even figure out how to properly make use of the highways. It was occasionally faster to take side roads. If it started to rain, beware! Moved from there to Rhode Island...Wouldn't you know it, people understood the speed limit, but again, once it snowed...Done for. I grew up in Northeast Ohio, learned how to drive in the snow via a crash course in an s-10 with no weight in the bed and bald tires.(I know it sounds like all the other stories, but for some reason dad didn't find the idea of weight in the bed to be useful) Even there, still can't drive. And finally our latest location, Southwest Ohio...Down here people can't drive in general and also don't believe in the concept of clearing their car off all the way...It's too cold for them. I was almost hit 3 times the last couple of storms. They turn on the wipers and take off. Can't see you or anything else around them. I feel everybody's pain when it comes to snow! Hope it gets better down south though!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I just re-roofed my house this fall and put that sticky bituminous 36" wide ice guard stuff along the drip edges with metal drip edge flashing. My house didn't have either of those previously. Just had the first major snow last night. I have a sweet Honda snow blower for the first season ever, so I don't mind. My mom gave it to me as FEMA now rakes her roof and clears her driveway. FEMA = Find Every Mexican Available. (not my joke, a Hispanic Titan Talk member posted that the other day with pictures of FEMA in action).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Well, Looks like we are in for another round of snow next Tuesday/Wednesday.......geeze, this is getting old.

...SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER POSSIBLE TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...

A STRONG ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS NORTH TEXAS LATE
TUESDAY EVENING. GUSTY NORTH WINDS...MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES...
AND GOOD CHANCES FOR WINTER PRECIPITATION WILL SPREAD ACROSS NORTH
TEXAS OVERNIGHT TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY.

A STRONG UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHERN ROCKIES
ON TUESDAY AND MOVE EAST ACROSS OKLAHOMA AND TEXAS ON WEDNESDAY.
WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION WILL AFFECT MUCH OF NORTH TEXAS TUESDAY
NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. THE PRECIPITATION MAY START AS LIQUID
RAIN...BUT CHANGEOVER QUICKLY TO FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW BY
WEDNESDAY MORNING. SIGNIFICANT ICE...SLEET AND SNOW ACCUMULATIONS
WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THIS SYSTEM. IF CURRENT FORECAST TRENDS
CONTINUE TO SUGGEST THIS POSSIBILITY...WINTER STORM WATCHES WILL
LIKELY BE REQUIRED ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH TEXAS IN THE COMING DAYS.

THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD TRAVEL IMPACTS
ACROSS NORTH TEXAS BEGINNING TUESDAY NIGHT. IF YOU ARE PLANNING
TRAVEL ACROSS NORTH TEXAS OR SURROUNDING AREAS ON WEDNESDAY...
CHECK THE LATEST FORECASTS BEFORE DEPARTING.
Where at in DFW are you? I have family that lives in Mesquite and they got it pretty bad. They live on a very slight incline and my brother in law sent me a picture of at least 15 cars stuck on the hill. People don't understand that when they see a car stuck on a hill, it's probably a better choice to find an alternate route. Instead they just try to blast right up it and either slide into the person that's already stuck, or completely gum up the road for people who know what they're doing.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where at in DFW are you? I have family that lives in Mesquite and they got it pretty bad. They live on a very slight incline and my brother in law sent me a picture of at least 15 cars stuck on the hill. People don't understand that when they see a car stuck on a hill, it's probably a better choice to find an alternate route. Instead they just try to blast right up it and either slide into the person that's already stuck, or completely gum up the road for people who know what they're doing.
I am in Allen, about 15 Min. north of Dallas proper.And yes, you are right, mesquite got it pretty good, i think they got about 8", we got about 7.5". It was bad no matter where you went in the DFW area. Hope this week isn't as bad as last week, but the weather people have no idea as of right now, all they are saying is snow likely......last week they said we might get 1/2" and it would be cleared by afternoon, how wrong they were on that one...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts