Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got to work this morning and when I backed into the spot, transmission fluid started pouring out. So I looked under and thought one of the hose clamps failed.

I went up to the store and got new clamps and hose, replaced the sections, started the truck and transmission fluid started pouring from the bottom of the radiator. There must be a crack...FML.

My question is this. Will it be ok clamping off the hose that runs the fluid through the radiator and trying to drive home (40 minutes, mostly highway) and watching the tranny temperature gauge? I don't know how else to get the truck home at this point...does the transmission fluid need to be cooled or is that more to keep the temp down under heavy loads?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
New radiator + tow truck = $200

New tranny = $4000

Definitely not worth trying to drive it home.

Reactions: bills1974

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If you can buy hose & clamps, I think you can bypass the ATF around the loop in the radiator, so it just goes to the separate OEM tranny cooler and then back to the tranny.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...ooler-sr4588-install-radiator-bypass-mod.html

Just make sure it is the radiator leaking tranny fluid and not the tranny cooler leaking tranny fluid if you decide to do the bypass.

Pic of OEM tranny cooler on front of radiator:

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, well, I went out to do another visual inspection...the "small hidden hose" that runs down the passenger side of the radiator had a small visible split in it.

Well, it's been an eventful 1000 miles, two hoses and a radiator...but all is good now, needed to add about 2 quarts back. I now have two extra quarts, about 4 ft of hose and clamps that I'm keeping in the truck at all time. This is bullsh**

Thanks BAC, I think the next mod is going to be an external cooler, I'm sick of dealing with this already.

·
Premium Member
58,296 Posts
So does this mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the original radiator?

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So does this mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the original radiator?
No, the original radiator was cracked leaking antifreeze...

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Is it just me or does something just sound plain wrong when a guy called the crossdesser whore posts about tranny fluid everywhere?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts