Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 cc that has a ticking noise coming from the motor that is driveing me crazy!!! I know the 5.6 has an ohc so it has no lifters so i am useing this for description only ,it sounds like a lifter tick. I've been to the dealer twice. The first time they said this was the way the motor was susposed to sound. I disagree and it did not start until i had 4,000 on the truck. The second time the tech said he heard it and we compared it to a new titan. The new one did not make the sound. They told me there were no bullitens or recalls concerning this. They also told me they took off the timeing chain cover and checked all the valve clearances and that there was nothing wrong in either of these areas. It seems to get worse the hotter it gets but it does not do it all the time. Yeah the motor is under warranty but the dam ticking is driveing me crazy. Anyone have any suggestions

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i have an 06 and was wondering the same till i heard my friends 05 and it has the same ticking sound. its more obvious when the hood is open though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Crazy???:jester: :jester: :jester: . Not good Hopefully not the Cat problem.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Exhaust leak?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I doubt it's an exhaust leak, it's a ticking on top of the motor. I heard about 15 VK 56 motors at my home, and some of them tick and some don't. All of them were running strong before and after a timing advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tech thought it sounded like an exhaust leak when he first heard it, i'ts not.Sometimes you can barely hear it other times it is so loud you can hear it from inside the cab if you are stopped at a light or something. Someone tell me what is the cat problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard the same noise in my 07 and thought it was some type of valvetrain issue. Dealer diagnosed it as a bad wristpin and a new short block was installed. This was at 6K miles! Have them listen from underneath with a stethascope.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great info bshort. Thanks soooo much. I can't believe they want me to accept the explanation, "Thats just how these motors sound." Thats b-sht

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 06 SE with about 22K miles and mine has been making this noise since about 10k miles. In fact it is searching for the cause of it that lead me to TT. I have had it to the dealer a few times and only once were they able to hear it for themselves. It only does it when its hot and even then it doesn't always do it.

The last time I took it in it was making the noise the entire drive there. When I got to the dealership I shut the truck off as usual. When the tech took it in the back of course it wasn't making the noise anymore. They called me in the back to tell me the noise they we hearing was normal valve train noise (it was a very faiint ticking that could really only be heard with the hood up standing in front of the truck). I told them that I knew it was normal but the noise I was talking about was many times louder and could sometimes be heard over the radio. So the tech and I went for a drive and it took about 10 miles for it to come back. When we get back to the shop they plugged it into the diagnostic computer and the head tech came over to listen. He said that it definitely was not valve train noise but more likely an injector. Just as they were about to start turning injectors off to try and find the source the noise went away. Then they asked me to leave the truck there for a few days so they could try and find the cause. Since they told me it wasn't a big deal I said I can live with it. Actually I don't even notice it anymore.

I was hoping that someone on hear would post the real cause and then I will take mine back to get it fixed.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
If the noise is underneath, I think it may be more common than we would like to think and I believe I have heard it before as well. More of a knock than a ticking or tapping. I have heard it on two other trucks but not mine. Would you all describe the noise you hear as more of a lower end knock instead of an upper engine tick or tap?

·
Registered
779 Posts
someone mentioned a purge valve as the ticking noise, anyone have any info?
I hear it on my truck sometimes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 04 xe non bt and mine makes a ticking noise that sounds like lifter noise coming from the valve covers that just started here recently. It is coming from both heads but doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. Any ideas? I can take it to the dealer but I hope they know what they are doing because I have only 6000 miles left on my extended warranty. My truck has 86000 miles on it and I need it to last a long time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine did it when I only had 6.5 quarts and when my truck was on a slant it was worse. topped it off at 7 and do not hear it.

Just my .02

·
Registered
978 Posts
some guys have noticed more valve trane noise when they switched to M1 synthetic. I run M1 and the only ticking noise that i hear is from the injectors. I have 50K on mine and have been running M1 for 48K.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have had it since my truck had like 4k as well, it now has 48k. Sounds like it is coming form the top of the engine. I installed a ground kit which seemed to help for a while, but now the noise is back....Sometimes, esp after a long drive. I took it to the dealer and of course it stopped ticking, or did not make the noise for them...

It's pretty common, I guess. Almost sounds like a Diesel huh, but not quite as deep or loud and seems a bit fasterand more of a tick than a knock?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I got some noise too, been meaning to take it in but i never have the time. My engine has begun running a little rough too, dont know if its a coincidence, the truck starts to vibrate enough where i can feel it in the seats, it feels like something is "off balance". This is along with the pretty loud diesel type noise i hear which wasnt there before,
48k on an 04

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is not a knock in the lower end. It is definetly a ticking noise in the top end. I also think it has something to do with the injectors. I told the tech that and while he had it hooked up to the computer he shut down each cylinder one at a time. There was no one cylinder that made a difference, we heard the ticking noise the whole time.It is driveing me f-ing crazy but i can't keep going to the dealer. I have been there 3 times and have been without my truck for a total of a week so far. It is a major inconvience to keep doing this especially since the dealer is allmost an hour away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts