Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 35,100 miles on my '05 and am currently in service for a problem that the master technician and the nissan corporate engineers in California have no idea what it is. There are no engine lights or codes and everything timing and electrical is within specs. Every morning when I start the truck it idles up to 1500 rpm and then jumps down to like 300 and almost stalls out. This happens all within a 2 second period. The crazy thing is, it goes away about a minute later. During that minute it runs pretty rough and sputters a little and has a lack of power. The other crazy thing is, the truck has to sit like 8 hours before it will do it again. Any ideas or has anyone experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually had read that but could not find that post today. They do seem like similar symptoms. My fuel pump was replaced last week and didn't help anything. That post doesn't help much because they never really figured out what caused it. My truck is in service now and if and when they fix it I will be sure to post it if others have the same issue down the road.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can't say that I know what your problem is exactly, but my father had an old Ford that exhibited the same symptoms. When it happened he would put 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and it seemed to fix the problem. About 5000 miles later, it would come back. He would repeat the fuel injector treatment and it would go away for another 5000 miles or so.

So, you might try having the dealer clean the fuel injectors thoroughly and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bay, the dealer is doing that now as far as I know. I am contacting Nissan consumer affairs to possibly buy back the truck also. If problems continue to persist than I might push them to buy it back and get me something different or newer.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
jnicolmya said:
Thanks Bay, the dealer is doing that now as far as I know. I am contacting Nissan consumer affairs to possibly buy back the truck also. If problems continue to persist than I might push them to buy it back and get me something different or newer.
Most lemon laws and buybacks have a limit on time/mileage, meaning the buybacks have to be for a factory defect that they've been unable to remedy within a reasonable amount of time or after a reasonable number of attempts, but usually (Varies by state) only on problems within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles. Check your warranty/lemon law guide that's in your manual folder, it specifies the conditions and limits.

Since this is not a factory defect (The problem hasn't existed since new or near-new) I wouldn't expect Nissan to even consider buying it back, but you never know. Miracles have happened. :D

Good luck and hopefully they'll get it licked soon! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
any modifications done to the truck? Intake, exhaust, throttlebody spacer, timing advance??? Cold weather? After putting the 90mm throttle body on my truck if will do that in the morning if its cold especially. Just has to learn all the extra air going through. Takes a few seconds and its done. I dont start driving till it warms up anyway so i dont mind it. Sounds cool to lol

have them spray some CRC MAF cleaner on the mass air flow sensor as well, or better yet do it yourself, should by cleaned by now anyways

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem this morning... any of the 07 guys have this happen? Could it be from running e85? I've been running it the last 1k miles or so, and though it could be from that... I do have the flexfuel engine but thought it might be something to do with that...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a flexfuel engine as well and have never once ran e85. The dealer flushed the fuel system and well as cleaned the injectors. They checked everything electrical all the way down to the relays. Told me it was fixed Friday, got it home, Saturday morning after sitting all night and it did the same thing. It happens every morning and every night.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Did they change or test the spark plugs? I would think a bad or fouled plug would provide rough idling all of the time, but I don't know if the ECU could adjust the air/fuel mixture after a while to correct the idling issue.

If you had a distributor and/or rotor, I would guess one of those is bad and sensitive to moisture (the reason it takes a while to repeat as moisture build up is a slow process). Can you put it in an indoor garage somewhere for a while and see if that matters? Maybe something in the ignition system is getting moist/wet and causing the rough idle for a while.

Another thing I can think of is a bad ground. But again, I would think a bad ground would provide those symptoms all of the time and not just at starting.

I suppose you could have a bad ECU as well that resets each time rather than storing the info. I know that on my old Mitsu truck if I disconnected the battery, the truck would idle at really low RPM's (300-500) for a few days and then would magically correct itself back to the proper idle after a few hundred miles of driving.

I also wonder about the battery. Maybe the battery isn't providing enough juice to keep the ECU from resetting. I would think a weak battery would not allow you to start the truck though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Latest news.

3 weeks ago the North American Nissan Technician came out to look at my truck. He authorized the dealer to replace the crank sensor, cam shaft sensor and the IPDM computer (secondary computer). A week later, as I am picking up the truck, same problems. Now they are replacing all 8 fuel injectors. My truck has been at the dealership for 3 weeks now.

At least I am getting free parts.......

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had a 91 hard body that did the same thing, I would put injector cleaner in it every couple of months, and she was good as new. I hope the stealership fixes the problem once, and for all, hang in there.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Have they checked the fuel pressure regulator? It really sounds like a fuel delivery issue.... The pressure is probably bleeding off while the truck sits...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hope they get it fixed for you. I remember reading this when you posted it. Its been awhile. Good luck and let us know what they find in the end.

·
Registered
222 Posts
sounds like a sticking throttle chamber.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Jared said:
sounds like a sticking throttle chamber.
A sticking throttle body sounds right to this old wrench. I bet it's got just enough goop in it that when everything contracts and it's cold, it sticks. The engine has a system to warm the throttle body and once it's warm it'll stay warm for hours.

Second thing to look at is the ECU. It's running in open-loop mode during that time, and somehow it's not learning/storing something correctly. Some manufacturers used to program their ECUs to not store codes during open-loop operation since it's so short.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, after a tank and half of gas through the old girl, the fuel injections seemed to fix the problem. Or it delayed and masked the problem?!? At this point everything is ok. We will see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 06 w/ 68K miles(Titan) at the dealer that has this same issue..
Runs great one minute and a real clunker the next..
The dealer cannot get any codes, so they are scratching their collective heads.. They want to start by replacing the Mass-flow air sensor.. to the tune of $550 (out of warranty.. of course).. but they will not guarantee this to fix the problem..
Sounds like this thread is saying injectors..
Someone who has fixed this issue please help..
thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts