Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the February 2004 issue of Motor Trend magazine the F-150 is proclaimed the "Truck of the Year". Two of the trucks that were in competition against the Titan for this award were the $45,000 SRT-10 Ram and the $41,000 Chevrolet SSR. The Titan starts at only $22,000. Somebody needs to explain the concept of comparing apples to apples to Motor Trend. In the comparison chart the Titan wins in almost every category. It won in the all important 1/4 mile test and the braking test against the F-150. So, the Titan wins objectively but Motor Trend picks the F-150 subjectively. Motor Trend usually uses a competitive graph to show visually what the differences are in the competing vehicles in terms of torque and horsepower. The graphs were mysteriously missing in this competiton. I wonder why!

In Motor Trend's very next issue (March 2004) there is a full page Ford add proclaiming their F-150 as winning "The 2004 Motor Trend Truck of the Year Award" There was not a single Ford truck advertisement in the previous month's issue in which they won that award. I wonder why! Could it be that Motor Trend did not want its readers to think that advertising had anything to do with the award? And in the March issue the graphs show up comparing sports cars! It shows the Nissan "Z" having more torque at idle than the others do at maximum RPM.

It seems to me that there is a lot of money made from the game of paid advertising of trucks and Motor Trend is very good at playing this game.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
In the February 2004 issue of Motor Trend magazine the F-150 is proclaimed the "Truck of the Year". Two of the trucks that were in competition against the Titan for this award were the $45,000 SRT-10 Ram and the $41,000 Chevrolet SSR. The Titan starts at only $22,000. Somebody needs to explain the concept of comparing apples to apples to Motor Trend. In the comparison chart the Titan wins in almost every category. It won in the all important 1/4 mile test and the braking test against the F-150. So, the Titan wins objectively but Motor Trend picks the F-150 subjectively Motor Trend usually uses a competitive graph to show visually what the differences are in the competing vehicles in terms of torque and horsepower. The graphs were mysteriously missing in this competiton. I wonder why!

In Motor Trend's very next issue (March 2004) there is a full page Ford add proclaiming their F-150 as winning "The 2004 Motor Trend Truck of the Year Award" There was not a single Ford truck advertisement in the previous month's issue in which they won that award. I wonder why! Could it be that Motor Trend did not want its readers to think that advertising had anything to do with the award? And in the March issue the graphs show up comparing sports cars! It shows the Nissan "Z" having more torque at idle than the others do at maximum RPM.

It seems to me that there is a lot of money made from the game of paid advertising of trucks and Motor Trend is very good at playing this game.
i agree robert nissan did deserve that award! motortrend :readclose :futwice: :gotrice:

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah i havent seen that yet but i will say i have read the petersons4wheel and 4wheeler reviews of the titan. Only complaints Petersons has about it is its not a plush interior and it looks goofy to them. Nothing but good in my eyes (a truck dosnt need a "plush" cab, and diferent looking is good)

·
Registered
155 Posts
How amazing. HMMMM wonder who sponsered this award and maybe future advertising???? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
static101 said:
How amazing. HMMMM wonder who sponsered this award and maybe future advertising???? :rolleyes:
probably that company that made that shity truck that made me make a bad decision...............FORD :futwice: AND furthermore, is that a word, they should put that money in thier underpowered tank, :jester: did i say that :upsidedow

·
Registered
74 Posts
A salesman told me that even though the Titan was "up" for the award they couldn't officially win it because a vehicle has to have been in production for 60 days for it to win. I've never heard of that one before. Do you think that could be true?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
COHawk said:
A salesman told me that even though the Titan was "up" for the award they couldn't officially win it because a vehicle has to have been in production for 60 days for it to win. I've never heard of that one before. Do you think that could be true?
i think thats a line of bs but who knows :computern

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bayou Titan said:
In the February 2004 issue of Motor Trend magazine the F-150 is proclaimed the Bayou

Motor trend has always been biased and liked to standout. Every other head to head ive found including four wheeler mag, car and driver, etc etc the titan has won. And in tradition of motor trend being ford bias and wanting to stand out they damn the titan. If you check out all the other head to heads that the titan won the same thing is said about the ford from one company or mag to the other. And the fact that the nissan knocked the best selling truck out of the box on its first try on every other head to head is pretty impressive. We have nothing to fret from motortrend. :futwice:

But then again when it comes down to it motortrend makes alot of money on car company advertisments. Could it be that ford saw they lost every other mags head to head they PAID motortrend for the award. Could explain the typical charts are missing that are part of every head to head they do. I say screw motortrend its not gunna sto me from picking up my titan. Least my titan wont be Found On Road Dead.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but when I read mags for info, I don't consider opinion of the mag writers. I look for solid data what's mention, that's hard dispute but what they like or feel is subjective as everyone has different taste.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Motor Trend "Sham of the year award"

I see in the news today on MSN that the CIAS [ Canadian International Auto Show[ has picked the Mazda3 and the Ford F-150 as car and truck of the year! Guess who is paying who for their bragging rights! Nissan titan was not even mentioned! What up with that? And oh yeah, my Titan King Cab - LE -Smoke - 4X4 - loaded will be here Monday!!!!!! Yeah!

Campsmoke :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK get this, Car and Driver last month rated the Titan as truck of the year. Then in the very same magazine the following month (latest issue), they rate the top five of the year and rate the F-150 as the best in the truck category (not the Nissan). In another article in the same magazine they even refer to the Nissan as winning truck of the year yet make absolutely no mention of it in the 5 best article other than it is Nissans new big hitter. I think some serious money is changing hands here!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
ricqik said:
I don't know about you guys, but when I read mags for info, I don't consider opinion of the mag writers. I look for solid data what's mention, that's hard dispute but what they like or feel is subjective as everyone has different taste.
Can't agree more. If you read the article again you'll notice all the negative comments (actually only 3 that I know of) were from individual testers, not the majority. But they have to quote those in to justify not giving the Titan the award.

1. All were impressed with the interior layout, except one said it feels cheap.
2. All were impressed with the ride, except one said it could be bouncy cruising on the freeway. (this maybe due to the fact that the tires were overflated like most others mentioned on the other thread)
3. All like the sporty sound, except one said it can be instrusive.

I agree that the interior of the f150 is a bit better in fit and finish, the ride is stiffer than the F150 and the engine sound is louder. But most people like the ride and the sound that way, this is a truck. So basically, they give the award to the f150 just because it has better fit and finish interior.

Motor Trend is too scared to put down the best selling truck for 21 year.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think if Yugo started making trucks they should start out with paying mega bucks for full page ads in magazines that rates trucks. Then they would be chosen "truck of the year".

·
Super Moderator
35,629 Posts
Truck of the Year

While it would have been nice for the Titan to win, who really cares?

We know what we got and we like it! :haveredfl

If someone buys a truck because MoronTrend picked it, they miss out. :lol:

I drove both. I'll take this package anyday! :gunz:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts