Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A toolchest... not like a toolbox that mounts on the bed rails. One that's entirely in the bed of your truck (so you can't see it from a distance).

Like this: Northern Tool + Equipment Slim Line Flush Mount Truck Box — 60in.L | Truck Chests | Northern Tool + Equipment

How would you mount that? Drill right in to the bed? Or just not mount it at all?

That's exactly what I want. A buddy has a similar one and literally just has it sitting in his bed. He says if someone wanted to steal it, being drilled wouldn't stop them.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
For 300 clams, you might be able to find a utilitrak box.
Do you have utilitrak?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Do you have the utiltrac system? There are 2 tracks that mount to the floor of bed--I'd mount it to that. You would have the ability to mount it in one place from the inside of the toolbox and have the ability to slide it the full range of the bed from front to back or vice versa by loosing the mounting hardware from the inside of the toolbox. By doin this way it would be relatively hard to remove from the bed unless someone had access to the interior of the toolbox.

just the way I'd do it....my .02:teeth:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
hat's exactly what I want. A buddy has a similar one and literally just has it sitting in his bed. He says if someone wanted to steal it, being drilled wouldn't stop them.
Well it would be hard to steal if it was bolted down, using locknuts so it would take 2 people to remove them AFTER getting into the box...

Think about it...you can't just "sit it in the bed"....the first corner you take and .....ZOOM there it goes....:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no utilitrac for me.

And the guys says he sat it on a rubber mat and with weight in it, no sliding around at all. I'm more worried about the box itself being stolen than anything in it. I don't have expensive tools or anything... more sporting equipment than anything would go in it.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Things that walk away are things that can easily be picked up.
So maybe try going with your gut and putting a couple of sandbags in the bottom of it?
Don't spend too much, and then it won't hurt so bad if it does walk away.
Dirtbags are everywhere, and they will try it if they see it.
If it is too hard to lift out, they will leave it there.
They want the quick boost.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have mine bolted to the bed floor. I have some pics on my computer at home I'll try and remember to post when I get home. I was only able to access one of the holes I had drilled in the box from when it was in my Dodge, so I used one bolt and a piece of small angle iron in the bottom of the box to hold it down. I'll get a pic of that too.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
drill a hole from the inside of the box through the truck bed and use a bolt with rubber washers to prevent a leak. if someone did try to steal it which i doubt, they wouldnt be able to budge it and would leave. they wouldnt know how it's bolted down and wouldnt waste time trying to figure it out. you are safe to roll with that box.

post pics once you get it installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts