Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
73,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, here we go....

I was at my dad's this past weekend and he asked how much my truck can tow. I said probably around 9,000 lbs or so because I've heard that number out there.. I have an 04 but it's not B.T. and i do not yet have a hitch. He's got a 26' Welcraft with an 11' beam, twin 260 merc cruisers. I can't begin to guess the weight.

There are a few issues I can see right away, 1 being his huge *** boat with an uncertain weight (i'm pretty sure we can get this firgured out) the second being, can my truck even handle this? as of now he doesn't have a trailer for it, but was considering getting one, i guess his first piece of research was to firgure out whether or not i could tow it... thoughts? since it's got an 11' beam will it be a permit trailer?

the purpose behind the trailer is for him to be able to take his boat from the marina an possibley bring it to the house to work on and store over the winter.

needless to say, if this happens i think i'll ask pop to spring for some big tow mirrors and a hitch.... or free boat rides/rentals :cheers:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
DeadRiver said:
alright guys, here we go....

I was at my dad's this past weekend and he asked how much my truck can tow. I said probably around 9,000 lbs or so because I've heard that number out there.. I have an 04 but it's not B.T. and i do not yet have a hitch. He's got a 26' Welcraft with an 11' beam, twin 260 merc cruisers. I can't begin to guess the weight.

There are a few issues I can see right away, 1 being his huge *** boat with an uncertain weight (i'm pretty sure we can get this firgured out) the second being, can my truck even handle this? as of now he doesn't have a trailer for it, but was considering getting one, i guess his first piece of research was to firgure out whether or not i could tow it... thoughts? since it's got an 11' beam will it be a permit trailer?

the purpose behind the trailer is for him to be able to take his boat from the marina an possibley bring it to the house to work on and store over the winter.

needless to say, if this happens i think i'll ask pop to spring for some big tow mirrors and a hitch.... or free boat rides/rentals :cheers:

1st... weight with fuel on a tandem axle ought to be in the 8500lbs range. A bit more than you "SHOULD" tow.

2nd... not sure about PA, but in Texas that would require a permit. However, the Texas DPS seems to be a wee bit flexible with outboard engine types. Even though you would be hogging a lane and a half, they might let you slide long enough to get to the house. Just don't make it a habit.

3rd... You might want to have the marina use the tractor to pull it out and then hook up to it. Last thing you want to do is lose traction on the ramp and sink your truck. If the ramp is not too steep you could be ok. Better safe than sorry though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am almost positive you need a permit for anything over 8.5' of beam in PA.

Also, I think you are going to exceed your tow rating substantially. A tow package equipped Titan can tow 9400-9500 lbs. Without the tow package, that number drops to 7400 mainly because of the different gears in the rear end.

·
Premium Member
73,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick responces guys..

i think we'd use the marina's crane to set it on the trailer, all i'd have to do is pull. the worst case scenario is that we use one of our 18 wheelers to pull the boat, but it'll be a ***** backing that and a boat down my dad's narrow driveway between 2 houses.

i'd wouldn't have to hit any highways which is the good news and the house is no more then 6 miles away from the marina.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Need permit for that beam. Question are you sure it has an 11 foot beam?

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Use the 18 wheeler to get it home.
Use the Titan to get it into the side yard.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
DeadRiver said:
thanks for the quick responces guys..

i think we'd use the marina's crane to set it on the trailer, all i'd have to do is pull. the worst case scenario is that we use one of our 18 wheelers to pull the boat, but it'll be a ***** backing that and a boat down my dad's narrow driveway between 2 houses.

i'd wouldn't have to hit any highways which is the good news and the house is no more then 6 miles away from the marina.
This sounds exactly what another member did a while ago...I think he towed a 12,000 pound boat/trailer for about 5 miles. Let me see if I can dig around and find the thread.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You are only rated for 7,600lbs w/out big tow...I didn't think trailered boats could be that wide (11' ft) You could always swap for a big tow (3.36) ring and pinion....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Going six miles twice a year at low speeds, I wouldn't worry so much about tow rating, especially BT vs non-BT; it's not really relevant. What I would worry about is getting the boat balanced on a random trailer so that you don't massively overload the tongue and hitch and either break the hitch or a spring. If there are hills, I'd worry about brake settings as well. If you have access to a big rig to tow it, that's what I'd use; if the boat is 11' wide, the size of the truck isn't going to be the issue backing it in.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
you should definitly get the factory tow hitch for your truck, i think its like 100-150 bucks. your bumper will get screwed without it.

·
Premium Member
73,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cool more input... keep it coming..

i'd definitely get a hitch put on to do this job. the trailer is something he'd have to find or borrow, we know of one guy that has one we could potentially use.

the 11' beam boats really aren't meant to be trailered, which is why it's always been at the marina. the boat is an 88 or so and he really wants to go over and redo the interior, a project more easlily done at home with easy access to the boat, tools, and supplies. we've rebuilt both motors & outdrives and the only thing the boat needs to really bring it back up to par is an interior overhaul.

i don't know if any of you have ever tried working on your boat @ a marina, but there is no short supply of "help" and those handy "opinions" to hinder your progress... one more reason to relocate.

if we do go for it i'll definitely be taking a lot of pics! you're gonna wanna see this.. i kinda do, just not with my truck :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Now having updated information I WOULD NOT, I repeat, NOT tow that thing with your truck. PERIOD>........

Find a friend with a 3/4 or 1 ton dsl. They are made for that type of weight. Backing with one of these will be a bit easier than with a big truck also, inot a long driveway anyway. Hope all this helped. I never understood why a boat company would make something so short so wide.

·
Registered
162 Posts
DeadRiver said:
cool more input... keep it coming..

i'd definitely get a hitch put on to do this job. the trailer is something he'd have to find or borrow, we know of one guy that has one we could potentially use.

the 11' beam boats really aren't meant to be trailered, which is why it's always been at the marina. the boat is an 88 or so and he really wants to go over and redo the interior, a project more easlily done at home with easy access to the boat, tools, and supplies. we've rebuilt both motors & outdrives and the only thing the boat needs to really bring it back up to par is an interior overhaul.

i don't know if any of you have ever tried working on your boat @ a marina, but there is no short supply of "help" and those handy "opinions" to hinder your progress... one more reason to relocate.

if we do go for it i'll definitely be taking a lot of pics! you're gonna wanna see this.. i kinda do, just not with my truck :)
I am really suprised on the beam on this boat. I have a 1990 25ft Carver which I have found to have one of the largest beams around, and that is only a 9 foot 6 in beam. My boat dry weighs about 6500. So with gear and fuel its about 7500, and dont forget trailer thats about another 1200 or so... My boat only has a single 350 cid. I tow that, but I have BT without any trouble. If it was me, I would do it, but I bet you will need a permit.
I am supposed to have a permit, but I have never had a problem, but there is a large difference between 9foot 6 and 11 feet. Whenever I tow my boat to the marina, 2x a year, my buddy follows me in his truck and doesnt let anyone past on multiple lane highways.
Just take it slow... and I am not sure who was talking about sinking your truck???? I have been around boats since I was a child and I have only seen that on 2wd cars. If you are not a moron and go slowly down the ramp, the boat isnt going to pull you in, at least any ramp that I have been on.:rockon

·
Registered
4 Posts
The question should be, can i haul this boat safely? NO!!!!!!!!
Try stopping it in an emergency situation, won't happen. At minamum truck should be a 3/4 ton. And I am probably drastically under estimating it at 3/4.

·
Registered
162 Posts
seecuyer said:
The question should be, can i haul this boat safely? NO!!!!!!!!
Try stopping it in an emergency situation, won't happen. At minamum truck should be a 3/4 ton. And I am probably drastically under estimating it at 3/4.
You see i would have to disagree. My trailer has surge brakes as with most boat trailers do. When you have a trailer with those when you first appply the brakes apply them firmly and the boat trailer will do about 80 percent of the stopping. A buddy of mine has a 32 foot baja tri axle with all axles having brakes and tells me that when he goes to hit the brakes it stops him and the truck faster than the truck would alone.

·
Premium Member
73,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry to say, the boat is probably going to be put in the water soon. we might try to sand the bottom and paint it, then drop her in.. i'll keep you posted if things change, if not tune in come fall...

feel free to keep this debate going :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts