Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are crazy times my friends. I just got offered right at 5K more for my Pro4x than I paid for it 2 months ago by the toyo dealer. Their lot was almost empty. Left with a 2021 Tundra limited crewmax 4x4 with off road package. I liked the Pro4x better. I like the looks better, the options and seat layout. But the toyo resale and reliability reputation and the last of the v8 tundras made me pull the trigger. Good luck with your titans.. I'm going to miss mine!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
hopefully you don't get that engine knock that the 5.7 tundras are getting in the number 7 cylinder. that would be a bummer to leave a truck with a 5 year 100k warranty to go to one that is supposedly more reliable and than you have to get the engine swapped at 35k miles and you are out of warranty.

i never knew Toyota had the same issues with the engines as Nissan. i just happened to find out because a buddy has a 2019 or 2020 tundra and was looking up something about it

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was cross shopping the Tundra and I gotta say the Limited seats were unbearable. I agree on the looks, reliability and resale but I just couldn't with the seats. If I did Tundra I would spring for the extra and get the Platinum seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same just happened to me. Bought a 19 platinum reserve about 15 months ago for 36k. Traded it last week for a new SL XD. Got 45k back for it, plus 11k discount on the new one. My payment went down $10/mo! I don't see how anyone could complain about resale value on a Titan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same just happened to me. Bought a 19 platinum reserve about 15 months ago for 36k. Traded it last week for a new SL XD. Got 45k back for it, plus 11k discount on the new one. My payment went down $10/mo! I don't see how anyone could complain about resale value on a Titan. View attachment 551981
You guys buying Toyota’s will be back, wait and see, in fact you are probably already wondering why you did that.🤔

·
Registered
820 Posts
Originally it was called Toyoda, meaning rice field, then the son switched D to a T because it only required 8 brush stokes and the number 8 is sacred in Japan...just watched the history of automobiles on history Channel and indulged in a few beers and felt the need to share lol. Good luck with your rice field truck, see you in a cpl years. 😋

·
Registered
202 Posts
Left with a 2021 Tundra limited crewmax 4x4 with off road package. ...the toyo resale and reliability reputation and the last of the v8 tundras made me pull the trigger
I liked the Pro4x better. I like the looks better, the options and seat layout. ...I'm going to miss mine!

This is a very different strategy of car buying than I use... I buy the rig I think I'm going to like driving around the most. Different strokes and all that I suppose.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
This is a very different strategy of car buying than I use... I buy the rig I think I'm going to like driving around the most. Different strokes and all that I suppose.

Best of luck.
I have a 9 year old SRT8 Challenger I bought new, it has only 10,000 miles on it and still looks like the day I bought it. Today I was talking with my sons friend who said that car is so amazing and my reply was yes it is but I still prefer to drive my Titan as it rides like I’m sitting in my favorite chair at home.
I wouldn’t part with it unless it was for another one, this is Titan #3 currently.
The interesting thing is the car was $53,000 in 2012 and the Titan was $53,000 in 2020.

Clint

Reactions: Aegis467

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
947 Posts
You guys buying Toyota’s will be back, wait and see, in fact you are probably already wondering why you did that.🤔
Does Toyota use the same trim naming convention as Nissan? I thought the guy you quoted said he bought an SL XD, meaning he got a bit of a lesser trim, but still a Nissan? I actually may also follow suit, no not a Toyota. I'm considering getting into a Titan with the ventilated seats. I thought it wasn't going to be that big a deal for me, but the more I drive the Titan in the miserable heat, the more I think I could've driven my other car with ventilated seats, which is more comfortable for long drives in the 90-100 degree weather. We shall see. Would be hilarious, as it would make it my 3rd Titan in less than a year...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does Toyota use the same trim naming convention as Nissan? I thought the guy you quoted said he bought an SL XD, meaning he got a bit of a lesser trim, but still a Nissan? I actually may also follow suit, no not a Toyota. I'm considering getting into a Titan with the ventilated seats. I thought it wasn't going to be that big a deal for me, but the more I drive the Titan in the miserable heat, the more I think I could've driven my other car with ventilated seats, which is more comfortable for long drives in the 90-100 degree weather. We shall see. Would be hilarious, as it would make it my 3rd Titan in less than a year...
The SL probably compares to the Tundra limited trim. The Platinum I traded had the ventilated seats but I rarely used them. The SL has leather, memory seats, remote start, etc. The only features I've found my SL doesn't have that the Platinum had is the ventilated front seats and heated rear seats.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Best of luck.
I have found that vehicles with higher resale values also have higher initial acquisition costs…

I've shopped Tundra a few times and they tend to be priced several thousand higher when u can find them equipped same as Titan.. Throw in an extended warranty and the higher fuel costs and the Tundra really gets expensive… Yes, the Tundra is more reliable but then again do you really save any money?? The Tundra pro off road was going to cost me approx. $10k more and have less features and add the extra fuel costs of $3000 plus over 100k miles….

So $13,000 more to have a truck thats more reliable and 5 to 10years down the road will get me maybe $3000 more in resale compared to a Titan…

·
Registered
821 Posts
Why do you think they'll be back, what's wrong with the Tundra besides 13MPG? I think the Tundra is quite fine save for the supposedly engine leak I read about when I was looking for one. Will be fixed under warranty just like our engine knock that's plagued ours since its inception in 2004.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
ours haven't knocked since 04. that's a 17-20 deal. the tundras have the same engine knock issue on the same cylinder. i never knew that but i knew about all the other tundra issues for such a reliable truck. the cost was to high on a tundra to me. for such a basic truck, they were pricing them like a high end truck and just running on the name Toyota built in the 80s and 90s. they have all kinds of problems, just like all the other manufacturers. if you could have so many problems, i would rather have a good warranty

·
Registered
62 Posts
It’s not that they are a bad truck, go read their forum, engine tics , trans issues, leaks. It’s all what you want. I think the Tundra is ugly and overpriced, but each to his own. You will be back😃

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,797 Posts
no trucks are bad trucks (except dodge, ha ha ha). it is exactly what you said, what you want. and what you are willing to live with. i agree

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
947 Posts
As dated as the exterior looks, the interior also looks rather dated on the Tundra.

And as much as people say that the column shifter is dated, I do like the fact that it's not right in the middle of the center stack. I've seen on the Fords and Dodge that they tuck into the center stack, but how long before the mechanism gets stuck and doesn't let you pull it out to shift into gear?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'm liking the info coming out about the new 22’ Tundra..

I hope Nissan has some tricks left in the bag because a new Tundra that lives up to the hype will really put a hurtin’ on the Titan…

1 - 20 of 67 Posts