Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who know, I have been a salesman at a Nissan dealer for quite some time now. Today is my last day at this dealership, I have decided to sell Chebby's since I am in the middle of "Big 3" country. I still stand firm that Nissan offers a much better product, but I have to follow the paychecks... I will still be able to help you find vehicles, it might just take a little bit longer, since I will have to make a few phone calls to get it done. So if you need anything, just let me know, however, have a little patience, because I will have to wait for the info now myself. Maybe one day the idiots in Michigan will get off their Union horse, and I will be able to return to Nissan... Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
R U sure folks are really still buying alot of Chebbys? Around here USED to be Chevy country - but now the Toyota and Nissan dealers are the hopping places for sales. They just can't keep some of the high gas milage vehicles in stock - but the chevy lots (and Ford lots) are full with big discount signs on everything (except Corvettes)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, 95% of people here get an employee discount, and in this area, it is a HUGE lease market! With the employee discount, and the regional programs they have you can get a domestic car substantially cheaper than a Nissan. A CC 4X4 SE Titan would have run me about 460 a month through Nissan with my discount, I got a Ford F-150, made them pay my upfronts, and my insurance start-ups, 24 months, for like 375. Had I done that on a Nissan it would have put me over 500/month. Thats about a 125/month difference, and I will be done with the ford a year and 3 months sooner. It was just somewhere to start establishing credit, so all I wanted was a 24 month lease. I get bored with cars quickly. I'm only 22 and I have had 2 Mustangs, a Probe, Chrysler convertible, Blazer, 2 Hyundai's, a Park Avenue, a Grand Am, and my F-150. I needed a truck, and that was all I could get into really, my other cars were financed through my fathers name, or I paid cash for them. Even though I had good credit, I had no car credit, so Nissan more than likely wouldn't have approved me on a lease anyway. Back to the point tho, from a payment stand point, since 80% of our cars are leased, we can't really compete with the domestics. Even a basic 2.5S Altima starts around 280 unless you get one with the replaced engine, which has an extra 1000 rebate, bring you to around 250ish. I could have gotten a V6 Fusion with leather for that using the discount, and that would only be a 24 month, not a 39. There is a strong appeal to these people to get a new car every 24-27 months.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Cool - I did not know that. I always pay cash for vehicles because paying interest on a rapidly depreciating asset makes no sense financially. However - you have done good research on your market and have discovered where the numbers are going - I applaud your efforts. I was concerned that you were not looking before you take the leap - but I can see from your response that this is in fact not the case. I stand corrected! Best of luck in your new position!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
royr said:
Cool - I did not know that. I always pay cash for vehicles because paying interest on a rapidly depreciating asset makes no sense financially. However - you have done good research on your market and have discovered where the numbers are going - I applaud your efforts. I was concerned that you were not looking before you take the leap - but I can see from your response that this is in fact not the case. I stand corrected! Best of luck in your new position!:thumbsup:
Thank you very much! The store I am relocating to is managed by the first manager I had, but at a different Chevy dealership. It is in a growing area in Michigan, lots of new houses popping up in the area, and not a whole lot of other Chevy stores around. This is not a plan for a permanent fixture, just to get me buy until Nissan picks up in this market, which will happen. Nissan is currently gaining market share here in Michigan, and I have full intention of returning once sales pick up. So you can all look forward to me returning as a Nissan salesman in the future, but until then, I have to ACT like I like Chevys... Grrrr. Unless someone wants to hook me up with a place to stay somewhere out east while I get established at a dealership out there! LOL

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Good luck, hope chebby and ferd are around long enough. This used to be big 3 country too, but Toyota and Nissan are replacing alot of those. There are a bunch of Nissans used for work trucks, including mine. I've had four friends convert, 2 from chebby and two from ferd, to Titans and they swear they will never go back. I never thought this area would be over run with nissans and Toys with some of the redneck attitudes around here. My wife drives a Honda Odyssey and the town is absolutely over run with those. I litterally see a dozen a day besides my wifes.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Best of luck, Rob. I sold Chevrolet trucks back in the 80's. It was an easy market back then. Truck buyers were truck buyers. No Soccer Moms. The image buyers wanted 'Vetts. I still have and REALLY like my '89 K1500 that I bought new, along with my Titan. If I lose my mind and want one of those new Chevies, I'll call and have you drop ship one to me. Meanwhile...Bury 'Em deep. Hold your gross. Trade small+get a big back end. Stop by here often.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Rob, not to dis you or anything but should you be selling cars at all? Looking at your previous wheels there is not one Nissan listed and not one car that revs my motor - Seriously man a Park Avenue and a Probe! :evillaugh

Now you have a Ford F150 and work for Chebby. :idea:

Good luck but if cars are not your thing you're selling your soul just to make a living. We all do it to some extent so I hope GM gives you some joy. Looking at their current line-up there's not much happiness there.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
nissan_rob said:
For those of you who know, I have been a salesman at a Nissan dealer for quite some time now. Today is my last day at this dealership, I have decided to sell Chebby's since I am in the middle of "Big 3" country. I still stand firm that Nissan offers a much better product, but I have to follow the paychecks... I will still be able to help you find vehicles, it might just take a little bit longer, since I will have to make a few phone calls to get it done. So if you need anything, just let me know, however, have a little patience, because I will have to wait for the info now myself. Maybe one day the idiots in Michigan will get off their Union horse, and I will be able to return to Nissan... Wish me luck!
One thing I hope never changes...your excellent customer rapport.

Selling GM a bit different than Nissan....good luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TitanIam said:
Rob, not to dis you or anything but should you be selling cars at all? Looking at your previous wheels there is not one Nissan listed and not one car that revs my motor - Seriously man a Park Avenue and a Probe! :evillaugh

Now you have a Ford F150 and work for Chebby. :idea:

Good luck but if cars are not your thing you're selling your soul just to make a living. We all do it to some extent so I hope GM gives you some joy. Looking at their current line-up there's not much happiness there.

Not to "dis" you man, but you don't know anything about me. I love cars, it's the whole reason I got into the business. I'm 23, have paid for all my cars myself. Had 2 brand new mustang (under my dads name, but I payed for them), the first a basic 99 LX, the second was well equipped 00 GT Convertible. Then at the ripe young age of 17 I had a kid, split with his mom, and spent about 50 grand in 4 years on lawyers, to get full custody. I had temporary full custody through the courts but that was only instituted after my son's mom had a breakdown. So on top of lawyers, I was solely responsible for daycare, food, diapers, he was on a special formula (don't remember which one), but it was almost twice the price of most. I could not get any state assistance not food stamps, n0 help for daycare, NOTHING. So no, at the time, I wasn't in the most financial well off position, had no credit, and couldn't finance a car. I paid cash for all my cars. I am sorry that making sure that my son had all his perscriptions, food, clothes, necessities, was more important to man than a "nice" ride. I always had reliable transportation, that was all that mattered at the time. Honestly, I'm a Nissan guy, I would rather have the Titan, but at the same time, it wasn't in my budget. I found something that suited my needs, and fit my budget. In the future, unless you have something productive to add, mind you own businees. You don't know me, you don't know anything about me. There are not many guys that at 17 will push a pregnant girlfriend to have the baby, then step p to the plate when need be, and take sole custody. I am not a c0cky person, but this is my circumstance. I have earned everything I have ever had, and I am proud of it. I might not have had all the nicest cars, but I handled mine. How about you take a step back, look at what I have been through, then rethink your comment, remove your foot from your mouth, apologize, then go away... I didn't have credit cards to pay for anything, I worked 100+ hours a week for several years just to get where I am today. I am very insulted by you to trying to pass judgement on me and what my "thing" is.

:fu:

To the well wishers out there, thank you! It has been a nice change of pace switching to Chevy, it's been a lot smoother, most people are GMS, and there is no negotiating. Real low pressure here too! Love the environment, just wish it was a Nissan store!!!!! Lol.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rob,

What dealership did you work for? Where are you going to work?

I am moving back up to Lansing in about 2 weeks.

In a year or so I was planning to come and find you! Gotta upgrade...

Colin

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My wife and I love cars too, list has included such vehicles as a 65 Chevelle, 70 GTO 455HO, 70 Impala coupe dynoing 490hp at the rears, 87 Accord LXi tuned, 94 Integra GSR tuned..........then kids, now my beloved Titan and a Honda Odyssey, also pleasant to drive. But at least you have your priorities straight, the kid comes first. Your situation wasn't ideal, we waited nine years to have kids so being DINKS for that much time lent itself to toys. Keep putting the kid first.

·
Registered
463 Posts
nissan_rob said:
Not to "dis" you man, but you don't know anything about me. I love cars, it's the whole reason I got into the business. I'm 23, have paid for all my cars myself. Had 2 brand new mustang (under my dads name, but I payed for them), the first a basic 99 LX, the second was well equipped 00 GT Convertible. Then at the ripe young age of 17 I had a kid, split with his mom, and spent about 50 grand in 4 years on lawyers, to get full custody. I had temporary full custody through the courts but that was only instituted after my son's mom had a breakdown. So on top of lawyers, I was solely responsible for daycare, food, diapers, he was on a special formula (don't remember which one), but it was almost twice the price of most. I could not get any state assistance not food stamps, n0 help for daycare, NOTHING. So no, at the time, I wasn't in the most financial well off position, had no credit, and couldn't finance a car. I paid cash for all my cars. I am sorry that making sure that my son had all his perscriptions, food, clothes, necessities, was more important to man than a "nice" ride. I always had reliable transportation, that was all that mattered at the time. Honestly, I'm a Nissan guy, I would rather have the Titan, but at the same time, it wasn't in my budget. I found something that suited my needs, and fit my budget. In the future, unless you have something productive to add, mind you own businees. You don't know me, you don't know anything about me. There are not many guys that at 17 will push a pregnant girlfriend to have the baby, then step p to the plate when need be, and take sole custody. I am not a c0cky person, but this is my circumstance. I have earned everything I have ever had, and I am proud of it. I might not have had all the nicest cars, but I handled mine. How about you take a step back, look at what I have been through, then rethink your comment, remove your foot from your mouth, apologize, then go away... I didn't have credit cards to pay for anything, I worked 100+ hours a week for several years just to get where I am today. I am very insulted by you to trying to pass judgement on me and what my "thing" is.

:fu:
Rob , it was toungue-in-cheek. But now I see you as a 23 year old @SS who did not use a condom. :flame:

How about me: Seven years ago all I had was $400, an 18 month old kid and a pregnant wife. I have had to work as hard as you for those last 7 years. I now have 3 kids, one on the way and have just celebrated my 11th wedding aniversary. My two vehicles are paid off and I have 13 years left on my mortgage. Life is tough. So what? :deathsent

Good luck with Chebby - You're going to need it. You're just the type of salesperson they need. :evillaugh

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Well if Nissan and GM merge, it'll all be the same company anyway.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TIGHTIN said:
Rob,

What dealership did you work for? Where are you going to work?

I am moving back up to Lansing in about 2 weeks.

In a year or so I was planning to come and find you! Gotta upgrade...

Colin

I worked at Nissan of Sterling Heights, and I have now moved to Liberty Chevrolet, which is in the New Hudson area. It is a beautiful store, about 14 months old, huge lot, great service department, would make an excellent location for a Nissan dealership, hahaha... I still have a couple guys around town that will take care of you.

TitanIam said:
But now I see you as a 23 year old @SS who did not use a condom.

How about me: Seven years ago all I had was $400, an 18 month old kid and a pregnant wife. I have had to work as hard as you for those last 7 years. I now have 3 kids, one on the way and have just celebrated my 11th wedding aniversary. My two vehicles are paid off and I have 13 years left on my mortgage. Life is tough. So what?

Good luck with Chebby - You're going to need it. You're just the type of salesperson they need.
I WAS a 17 year old @SS who did not use a condom.... I was young, I made a bad call, it happens. Ok, so you had a wife? As in someone to help, if nothing more than watch the kids? I on the other hand was spending as much per month on legal bills as you were on your mortgage. I don't want to sit here and make this a personal thing, but you want to come off like you know me and my "thing" as you put it. I have an excellent rapport with almost every one of my customers, the few people that I have interacted with on here will pretty much tell you the same. But when you go sticking you 2 cents where it isnt needed, yeah, I'm gonna get upset. The point of my explanation to to illustrate that while you may think you know me, or something about me, just by looking at what I have owned, you are wrong... I have made the most of my situation, and I am doing pretty damn good if I do say so myself. There is enough crap to get someone down, that I don't need you coming on here telling my that I am selling my soul. The only thing wrong is that I am selling Chevys, and would rather be selling Nissans. As I stated before, I don't need you negativity, unluss you have something positive or constructive to say, pi$$ off. I have never held a grudge against anyone, and in 3 days this will all be old news. Yeah, I probably made a bit bigger of a deal out of it than necessary, and I apologize for that, but don't assume you know something about someone just because you have seen a list of cars they have owned. And just for future reference, I know of maybe 5 salesman that drive something they sell, not counting demos, their is no loyalty...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts