Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04' Titan 4wd with a PRG mini lift and Nitto terra grapplers 32060R18s a magna flow and Nismo Cold air intake. I average 12-13 mpg. all around. I went from 15-16mpg down to 12-13 with the wider heavier tires! Does this seem normal??? I have a heavy right foot and 153K on her but have had this set up for years. Anyone getting better mileage with similar setup??? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,312 Posts
Ditch the lift and big tires. Those are heavy draws on MPG.

·
Super Moderator
161,865 Posts
Yes, it's normal. Lots of rotational mass in a heavier tire.

·
Premium Member
58,750 Posts
Titans don't get great mileage. Lifted Titans with big tires get bad gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
161,865 Posts
A mini lift wouldn't have affected mileage all that much. At least it didn't for me. But there's no way around a drop from heavier tires.

·
Premium Member
58,750 Posts
Even going from the OEM Goodyears to stock size Duelers cost me more than a mile per gallon.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yeah, just about everyone who upgraded tires lost MPG. Look for member Norcal's post about tires, very informative.

·
Super Moderator
161,865 Posts
To have gotten rid of those stock Crapyear SRAs was worth the drop. Those things were horrible. In every way.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I'm on my second set of Goodyear SRA's. I happen to think it's a good all weather tire that only weighs 40#.
#.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
^worst tire ever made, and terribly over priced IMO... they wear like hell, awful wet traction, and look like buttcrack. again, this is my opinion not bashing anyone.

but yea with the 325 60 18 nittos Im seeing about 12mpg pretty aggressive driving style. and the nittos now have about 20k on them and are half done, vs the goodyears which my dad drove on (like an old lady) and had to be replaced at 28k...

·
Premium Member
58,750 Posts
I'm on my second set of Goodyear SRA's. I happen to think it's a good all weather tire that only weighs 40#.
#.
The wet traction with the Goodyears is scary and my city gets more rain than any other place in the continental U.S.

·
Super Moderator
161,865 Posts
Yup. The two worst things about those SRAs: Wear, but more importantly, wet weather traction. I still had quite a bit of tread left when I replaced mine. They scared the schit out of me in the rain.

·
Premium Member
21,312 Posts
With regard to wet weather traction I feel the same way about my BFG AT KO tires. The OEM BFG Rugged Trail tires on the other hand are pretty good in wet conditions. But I'm not likely to pay what they want for them.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I was gettin 10 to 11 mpg with 285/70/17 nitto terra grapplers (32" tire) with my 4x4 se cc with about 50k miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
^worst tire ever made, and terribly over priced IMO... they wear like hell, awful wet traction, and look like buttcrack. again, this is my opinion not bashing anyone.

but yea with the 325 60 18 nittos Im seeing about 12mpg pretty aggressive driving style. and the nittos now have about 20k on them and are half done, vs the goodyears which my dad drove on (like an old lady) and had to be replaced at 28k...
so true! I agree 100%

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Yeah, just about everyone who upgraded tires lost MPG. Look for member Norcal's post about tires, very informative.
Basically I lost 1 mpg for each 15 pound of tire increase, (per corner).
Stock size LT285/70R17 BFG A/T KO's were 58 pounds and I lost 1 mpg, 73 pound Toyo M/T's in the slightly larger LT295/70R17 and lost another 1 mpg, (2 mpg compared to the stock 43 pound P285/70R17). These were all run on the stock Off Road rims.

With regard to wet weather traction I feel the same way about my BFG AT KO tires. The OEM BFG Rugged Trail tires on the other hand are pretty good in wet conditions. But I'm not likely to pay what they want for them.
My KO's were great until about 33K miles, and they still had almost 1/4 the tread, but got super slick in the rain.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Badyears got 14.5 MPG hauling azz everywhere.

Nittos that I had for 38 days got 12 if I babied them on the highway.

Michelin LTs are getting 15.5 but I'm still in baby mode after the Nittos.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a brand new set of Cooper Discovery on my truck. I don't know about the Goodyears but I'm getting 12 - 13 MPG and I baby the crap out of my truck. I can count on one hand how many times I've floored the thing and put it over 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
368 Posts
my little input would be when you by a v8 truck, you buy it cause it looks awesome and can be used for multiple things. Good for everything but good MPG. The strength, size and style of a titan makes up for the mpg. I personally would take a stylish torque filled truck like the titan over a car with good mpg any day! Obviously most the people on this site must some what agree lol!

Reactions: Dave Da Kyd

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
RWD Re: Mpg???

my little input would be when you by a v8 truck, you buy it cause it looks awesome and can be used for multiple things. Good for everything but good MPG. The strength, size and style of a titan makes up for the mpg. I personally would take a stylish torque filled truck like the titan over a car with good mpg any day! Obviously most the people on this site must some what agree lol!
Yep, I agree with this sentiment as well. Nowadays, trucks like ours are what muscle cars (ie; old midsized and full sized cars with big fast engines) were in the old days. I never liked FWD cars. The driving experience feels too numb and very disconnected to me. It's like the engine and drivetrain are not attached to the chassis or something.

Reactions: kcw989
1 - 20 of 31 Posts