Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few comments here about the mud flaps. When I was in Phoenix looking at the Titan the mud flaps were screwed in but know on this site I am hearing they are taped in. Could it be factory install versus the dealership? I will have to go make my 100th trip down tomorrow and check it out. I ordered mine with the truck.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The word from Nissan is that they can only be installed at the factory. Unless they are aftermarket, they were factory installed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Splash gurards on front have a slight flaw. A screw and tape are used to mount them. The tape however is not thick enougt to "grab" the frame and they will pop loose. The screw will keep them on but this "tape" is too thin and me and Nissan Tech at dealership have caught this on several that we have looked at.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I would like to see a pic of the mud gaurds on the Titan, if anyone has one please post it here or send it to me in e-mail because I'm considering putting them on mine. I just don't want to screw up the way it looks if they are huge and clumsy looking.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I picked up the fog light kit today for the Titan (piece of cake by the way) from my friends at the Nissan parts dept nearby and we were talking about the mud flaps...they showed me the parts guide and it noted that the mud flaps are not recommended for installation on models produced prior to Dec. What's up with that? They were going to order me a pair anyway and see how it goes.

I saw several new Titan's that they just received in with the mud flaps and they looked great. I didn't see any problem with how they fit or the way they were mounted.

They also showed me a chromed version of the 5 spoke rim that you can order...very nice.

Karl

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I went down to the dealer and looked at the mud flaps that came installed. There was no tape that I saw and they were securely screwed in. I also looked that the tailgate hinge pin that was mentioned in this site being crooked. Yes it was on the passenger’s side and there was a bigger space between the tailgate and the back tail light lens. I will show this to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
mudflaps

You guys have me wooried! Are you saying that the manufacturers are using double sided tape to hold on mudflaps? Do they use it anywhere else? My titan is not in yet, but it looks like I have a lot of things to watch out for. Concerned

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Mudflaps are held in with screws and tape. The problem noticed is the back edge of the flap where it connects to the body panel...when the tape doesn't stick, the flap has a gap between it and the body.

Chris

·
Registered
330 Posts
The tape is too thin. Dealer applying thicker tape will solve this problem. The factory has probably been notified by now. I've only noticed this on the front flaps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Karl, is there anyway you can get post a picture of the 5 spoke rim you mentioned? I'd love to see it. Or, do you know if a pic is available on the Nissan site (I didn't find it).

Thanks!
Barrett

karlconnell said:
I picked up the fog light kit today for the Titan (piece of cake by the way) from my friends at the Nissan parts dept nearby and we were talking about the mud flaps...they showed me the parts guide and it noted that the mud flaps are not recommended for installation on models produced prior to Dec. What's up with that? They were going to order me a pair anyway and see how it goes.

I saw several new Titan's that they just received in with the mud flaps and they looked great. I didn't see any problem with how they fit or the way they were mounted.

They also showed me a chromed version of the 5 spoke rim that you can order...very nice.

Karl

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
When I washed my Titan this afternoon I looked at my mud flaps very closely and this is what I noticed:

1) Screws are used to hold the mudflaps in place on the inside of the wheelwells

2) Tape is used to secure the part of the mudflaps outside of the wheelwells

3) The tape that is used outside the wheel wells is very thin, comes loose and causes a noticeable gap between the mudflap and the body panel

4) It looks like the mudflaps are secured enough to keep from falling off by the use of screws but the weak tape is not strong enough to close the gap and hold the mudflaps tight against the truck so it looks good.

Is this what everyone else sees?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
karlconnell said:

Karl
Karl,
Tell me about your fog light kit. How much did it cost? How long did it take you to install them? Is the Titan already prewired for it? Is there a knockout for the switch on the dash? Just wondering?

·
Registered
294 Posts
5 Spoke Rim/ Fog Light Kit

Barrett, I bet one of your local Nissan parts departments has a set. They seem to have them at several dealers here in Phx.

Robert, JD1973 mentioned in a previous post how easy the kit was to install so I thought I would try it myself (the Titan's are prewired for them). What a piece of cake...took me 15 min's like it did JD. The kit is $199 through Nissan parts (I got 10% off). It's as easy as pulling out the rubber covers that are currently on, snapping the lights in to each side while also using a 5mm nut on each side to make sure they stay, and plugging in the connectors that are prewired to the lights...then there are 3 screws on the steering column that you take out, pull off the top cover, unplug the turn signal lever and install the new one and you're done. The new turn signal lever has the fog light switch in the middle that turns them on and off...Piece of cake!

Karl

·
Registered
84 Posts
just noticed the tape

yup-

the tape does not securely hold the top of the mud flap against the fender. Two of my flaps are already opened up where the tape is. Looks like I'll have to reinstall with thicker tape. Seems like a crappy design, since this area is literally drenched with water routinely.......

·
Registered
68 Posts
Barrett,

I ordered chrome 5-spoke from MSP Wheels last week and had them installed on Friday at the dealer. I do not know why Nissan doesn't offer chrome from the factory... they look great (my truck is Radiant Silver). MSP Wheels works on an exchange basis. They send you factory chrome plated wheels and then you send them back your painted wheels. My cost with shipping in one direction was $450 + $132.27 = $582.27. In addition I paid a $450 core charge of which I will get back when they receive my wheels. I will go run down an take some pics of the wheels.

*update* pics are here... http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22360

Tim

Bmosbacker said:
Karl, is there anyway you can get post a picture of the 5 spoke rim you mentioned? I'd love to see it. Or, do you know if a pic is available on the Nissan site (I didn't find it).

Thanks!
Barrett

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just re-taped my front ones today. They were "hanging" there. The tape used from the factory was crap. Thin. It broke free, and subsequent water and dirt helped them reach their "hung" status. I used some heavy duty 3M stuff I used on a bug shield for a 99 Durango. Damned stuff held up through many-a blizzard. They're on their snug now, factory tape is in the trash.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Holy zombies Batman!!! Talk about bringing a thread back to life.

I just ripped my mudflaps off. Screws on the inside on both front and rear. Rear has a screw on the outside into the quarter panel. Both have tape on the outside.

·
Registered
91 Posts
rjspitz said:
Holy zombies Batman!!! Talk about bringing a thread back to life.
I did the flap job this afternoon, then searched the forum to see if any other "quality control" issues regarding mudflaps slipped by Nissan. I was surprised (well... not really...) to see I wasn't alone. ------

The rear ones, by the way, looked fine. Fronts must have been done on a Friday...

Be good man / Jim

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
JimB said:
I did the flap job this afternoon, then searched the forum to see if any other "quality control" issues regarding mudflaps slipped by Nissan. I was surprised (well... not really...) to see I wasn't alone. ------

The rear ones, by the way, looked fine. Fronts must have been done on a Friday...

Be good man / Jim
Just a little humor, didn't mean to offend. Just not used to people searching, usually they just post away.
I had the same problem. My fix was to just remove them, didn't like the look.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts