Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would i see or loose power/TQ without a muffler on my 07? i was thinkin about taking the muffler off and putting 2 pieces of stainless steel pipe out behind the back wheel. is this a good or bad idea? i want it loud sooo im thinkin this is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
NOT! You loose scavenging ability due to how the valves timing affects exhaust IIRC. So, no muffler will cost power on a Titan. I think it has been done on a dyno. Another danger I've always heard is that without any back pressure, an engines valves get hotter. True or not, I'm sure a few opinions will come our way for having said it...

Not bad thinking on your part though, keep the ideas coming. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks blue, im gonna do alittle more research. see if i can find a dynoed titan without a muffler and compair it to a similer titan.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just be carefull, power is not everything. With the new motors being so sensitive with all the sensors and electronics, for the most parts things are there for a reason. That big a change is flow and preasure not be good for the motor. Check on it and let us know.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
On an N/A motor, running with no muffler isn't always going to give you the best hp. Keep in mind, you are in a heavy truck and need back pressure for torque. Now if you were in say, a honda civic then back pressure wouldn't really matter because they got no torque or don't need much torque at all. But since your in a heavy truck, torque is your best friend.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aight sounds good, i guess ill do it without a muffler. see how it goes, if i dont like it ill put the 18" magnaflow on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Doesnt the stock titan muffler clamp on?? If so, then just unbolt it and drive around for a few days and see how you like it. If it slows you down, then put the Magnaflow on like you said.

I have been trying for months to get toomanymods to try removing his muffler, but he wont do it. I know the hemi and titan are much different, but removing the muffler on the hemi trucks has proven to make big power gains and no tuning problems either.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
The OEM Titan muffler is sort of welded in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
sudden urge said:
The OEM Titan muffler is sort of welded in.
Gotcha. Toomanymods told me his was clamped on.

But I think he also had the banks muffler though...sorry about that.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
wouldnt matter anyway in my case matt, after headers my exhaust piping is much too large.. i've ordered 2.25" dynatech powercats and new jba exhaust which is 2.25" before the y pipe and 3" after the y.. the banks is overkill once you add headers, that is why my damn tq/hp is like 30hptq less than people who don't have headers.. should be able to hit some 13's NA soon as my exhaust comes in in 2 weeks its on backorder atm..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts