Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have this problem?

At a dead stop, I can push hard on the brake pedal and it will keep going until it gets pretty close to the floor, or I run out of patience.

The truck stops okay, it's just that the pedal has no 'hardness' to it. It's 'kinda like stepping on a plum', to paraphrase C.J. McCall.
:eek2:

I mean, I've driven stuff with air brakes and it has this kind of feel - where the vehicle stops, (wow does it stop!) but you don't have anything 'pushing back' on your foot.

If this were not a vehicle with antilock brakes, I'd have it right in to the dealer for a safety defect. But with this one, I dunno.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steamguy

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I have the "mushy" brake problem also. I am old enough to remember driving full size cars without power brakes and this is exactly what my Titan brakes feel like. Besides being "mushy" it takes a considerable amount of pedal force to bring my Titan to a halt. I will probably go to a Nissan dealership soon for a Titan test drive to see if every Titan brakes like mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry guys, mine brakes are fine.

Haven't noted any brake problems, SE CC 2wd. I couldn't belive the stopping power of my truck in comparison to the Tundra. WOW! Toyota has had alot of complaints about their brakes yet still kept the drum brakes on the back. I bet they change nest year.

You should check you brake levels and make sure it is full. If it is not then it is likely that what you are sensing with you foot is a small, small leak. I believe that there is a sensor to warn you of low brake level but it wouldn't hurt to check. The only other reason for a fading brake pedal are: air or water in the lines, both of which are easy to compress. (I would like to see how the bleed the brakes and lines at the factory, I bet it is neat). Good luck to you both.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My brakes have felt "mushy" also. I also had some vibration in the steering wheel from the brakes. See the "Brake/steering wheel vibration" thread. I took the Titan in yesterday and they found "warped pads and rotors" on the front. They replaced the pads and turned the rotors. The "mushy" feeling is gone and the brakes do feel more firm and solid. Actually feels better than when it was new. Wait and see........

·
Registered
138 Posts
My brakes are smooth and firm. Of course I'm comparing the Titan's to a Silverado............ :jester:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine are smooth and firm too. Lots of stopping power. It used to be a workout to get my old Ford to stop.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:cheers: :cheers:
Steamguy said:

At a dead stop, I can push hard on the brake pedal and it will keep going until it gets pretty close to the floor, or I run out of patience.

The truck stops okay, it's just that the pedal has no 'hardness' to it. It's 'kinda like stepping on a plum', to paraphrase C.J. McCall.

I mean, I've driven stuff with air brakes and it has this kind of feel - where the vehicle stops, (wow does it stop!) but you don't have anything 'pushing back' on your foot.

If this were not a vehicle with antilock brakes, I'd have it right in to the dealer for a safety defect. But with this one, I dunno.

Steamguy
:cheers: Nice and firm,,,so far,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Austin said:
If your brakes are mushy, bleed the system.
Has anyone tried this yet and, if so, did it help? Mine are not firm either and it does feel like air in the lines.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this may sound strange, but if you have mushy brakes try this:

Turn the ignition off. Press the brake pedal as hard and as far as it will go at least a half dozen times. The manual states that with 110 lbs of force, the pedal should be within 3" of the floor. Start the truck and check the brakes. They should feel normal.

I tried this on mine and it cleared up the mushy brake problem. Now they feel normal. The Titan has self adjusting brakes...I think this might have something to do with it.

I would drive my truck with the mushy brakes, then drive my wife's car and almost throw everyone through the windshield because of the difference in stopping power.

·
Registered
497 Posts
no mushy brakes here. they work with almost no effort and will whip heads if pressed just a bit to far, it stops with little effort like my ol 2000lb sports car lol. not as fast but with as much ease. unlike my pissy s-10 where i have to stomp on it get it to stop lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Straight from the service manual

Has anybody experience "mushy" brakes tried this:

BRAKE BURNISHING PROCEDURE
Burnish brake contact surface according to the following procedure after refinishing or replacing rotors, after
replacing pads, or if a soft pedal occurs at very low mileage.
CAUTION:
Only perform this procedure under safe road and traffic conditions. Use extreme caution.
1. Drive the vehicle on a straight smooth road at 50 km/h (31 MPH).
2. Use medium brake pedal/foot effort to bring the vehicle to a complete stop from 50 km/h (31 MPH). Adjust
brake pedal/foot pressure such that vehicle stopping time equals 3 to 5 seconds.
3. To cool brake system, drive the vehicle at 50 km/h (31 MPH) for 1 minute without stopping.
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3, 10 times or more to complete the burnishing procedure.

·
Registered
470 Posts
MZ3Cosmo said:
Haven't noted any brake problems, SE CC 2wd. I couldn't belive the stopping power of my truck in comparison to the Tundra. WOW! Toyota has had alot of complaints about their brakes yet still kept the drum brakes on the back. I bet they change nest year.
Amen on the Tundra. Brakes were a major reason I am now in the Titan. I had the brake system replaced three times under warranty and had to have the rear drums adjusted every time I did an oil change.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bg478 said:
Has anybody experience "mushy" brakes tried this:

BRAKE BURNISHING PROCEDURE
Burnish brake contact surface according to the following procedure after refinishing or replacing rotors, after
replacing pads, or if a soft pedal occurs at very low mileage.
<SNIP>
This is for new parts break-in. New brakes should always be broken in by the shop, never the Customer unless you have a particularly knowledgeable customer.

The conditions we're describing here indicate air in the system, or possibly a bad booster.

The post about bleeding the power from the booster and then allowing it to come back has a lot of merit. Come to think of it, I had a Hydra-Vac (GM) booster that I recovered this way. Was just a stuck valve, came unstuck once recovered.

Will let you know,

Steamguy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Steamguy said:
This is for new parts break-in. New brakes should always be broken in by the shop, never the Customer unless you have a particularly knowledgeable customer.

The conditions we're describing here indicate air in the system, or possibly a bad booster.

The post about bleeding the power from the booster and then allowing it to come back has a lot of merit. Come to think of it, I had a Hydra-Vac (GM) booster that I recovered this way. Was just a stuck valve, came unstuck once recovered.

Will let you know,

Steamguy
If we only lived in a perfect world, all services tech would do all steps required in service manuals. If the shop does break-in the brakes wouldnt they have also bled the system? I did have mushy brakes. I followed the steps to burnish the brakes and now they are as good as my wife's honda accord.

·
Registered
495 Posts
alw said:
I know this may sound strange, but if you have mushy brakes try this:

Turn the ignition off. Press the brake pedal as hard and as far as it will go at least a half dozen times. The manual states that with 110 lbs of force, the pedal should be within 3" of the floor. Start the truck and check the brakes. They should feel normal.

I tried this on mine and it cleared up the mushy brake problem. Now they feel normal. The Titan has self adjusting brakes...I think this might have something to do with it.

I would drive my truck with the mushy brakes, then drive my wife's car and almost throw everyone through the windshield because of the difference in stopping power.
ALW, I don't know if it's "strange" :jester: but I tried your method and it's much firmer for 2 days now. Actually I can hear the sound of released air from somewhere down by the brake pedal right after the first pump. Good tip, thanks.

I have a feeling if you do mainly streets driving with lots of light brakings (my case), it'll go mushy. But I know how to "adjust" it now :cheers:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Steamguy said:

Steamguy

Steamguy,

Any luck with this problem? I seem to have the same condition. Truck stops fine but at a stop it feels like I can bottom out the pedal if I keep pushing harder. I did notice that on hard braking on the freeway I really had to put my foot into it. I may get it checked out soon.

Alan

·
Registered
489 Posts
Read this post guys!! http://www.titantalk.com/showthread.php?t=10535

When i first read it i figured a isolated insident because all breaking systems are designed the same way on all vehicles. after reading your post's i would definantly have this checked out. It could be a design problem. Sounds like not large enough master cylinder for size of vehicle. Or if its computerized it needs a flow adjustment. dont take it lightly. Get it fixed...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
amati5 said:
ALW, I don't know if it's "strange" :jester: but I tried your method and it's much firmer for 2 days now. Actually I can hear the sound of released air from somewhere down by the brake pedal right after the first pump. Good tip, thanks.

I have a feeling if you do mainly streets driving with lots of light brakings (my case), it'll go mushy. But I know how to "adjust" it now :cheers:
i also tried this procedure and there was a difference. not sure what happened but that sure goes with the adjustable brake theory

1 - 20 of 57 Posts