Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving down the highway today about 60 mph and all of a sudden engine started knocking hard and I mean hard. Pull over and driving about 30 mph in neutral and it’s quite. Put it back in drive and go just a few seconds at 30. It’s shaking like a sick hooker in church and then it died.

2 hrs to get on the hook & to the dealer. They said they’d update me tomorrow. 36,000 miles since purchase Aug 2018. Has been a really good truck up to this point. Anyone else have issues with this 5.0 Cummins?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m told it’s a broken crank shaft & they are in the process of getting a new long block now. All covered under warranty. Maybe this will work out ok? We shall see. Anyone else heard of crankshaft failure in the 5.0 Cummins?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New long block is being shipped to the dealer.

None of you have had any issues with your 5.0 Cummins engines? What little research I’ve done is exposing a potential issue with the crank shafts. As a matter of fact, I’m now discovering multiple issues with the Cummins engine. Might be why Nissan is discontinuing this engine in the Titan?

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are the unfortunate failures as yours has experienced.... Are you on the other forum too? Titanxdforum.com? They have a few threads on that... at least it's being covered by the warranty but sucks you're out of your truck for the time being... hope they gave you a loaner at the very least or a rental...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I joined this forum a while back and I joint XD forum recently since they had a lot more info & owners with this type of issue. I’m just trying to find out the scale of this and other issues. I bought the truck for the 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty so we shall see how the repair goes.

Dealership has been great so far. I’m driving a loaner until the new long block swap is complete. Can’t ask for more at this point.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah.. there have been a few horror stories but then again, ALL manufacturers have problems.... I haven't had anything go seriously wrong on my 19 yet... the radiator just got replaced due to a bad bleeder valve on the top.... You can search my posts over there about that fiasco .. LOL... I just hit 7700 miles this morning...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m told it’s a broken crank shaft & they are in the process of getting a new long block now. All covered under warranty. Maybe this will work out ok? We shall see. Anyone else heard of crankshaft failure in the 5.0 Cummins?
Yep at 18,840 I had a brand new engine put in.
At 64,000 current situation. Engine harness, injector number 8 and full exhaust.
I I haven't seen it since the first weekend in April.
Getting parts is the worst part. And then getting complete kits is another. Seeing as they had to tear the top off the engine to replace a simple engine harness. Learned in the process of that if it would have been the turbo it could have been 6 more months. And I would have been like #200 on the backorder list.

Engine is back operating exhaust that's another issue. As soon as they get it to me I'm testing the pos in. Good news is I don't owe much and all the dealerships are ready to trade. Even Nissan. lol ib told James the general manager "not even if it was new and 50% off" he looked puzzled like this is all Normal

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,683 Posts
the dealer here where i live said they have done 6 or 8 cummins titans for crankshaft issues. mine was the first gas one they did, and it seems like the only one so far

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know some folks have had great luck with the Cummins, but I’m sure glad I went with the gas motor.

It was close for awhile and I ALMOST pulled the trigger for a white P4X diesel. Seeing all the issues popping up lately I’m glad logic won out over desire. I just couldn’t really justify a diesel with my toy hauler size/ weight.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,683 Posts
i know if the truck had been my choice, and not the wife's, i would have gotten the blue/silver two tone 4x4 xd with diesel. she hated the leather interior though so we got the gas regular truck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know some folks have had great luck with the Cummins, but I’m sure glad I went with the gas motor.

It was close for awhile and I ALMOST pulled the trigger for a white P4X diesel. Seeing all the issues popping up lately I’m glad logic won out over desire. I just couldn’t really justify a diesel with my toy hauler size/ weight.
Understand it's not the Cummings part.
Nissan changed things from what the woman at Cummins said.
Then she said if I have anymore questions about it call 1-800- nissan lol or whatever she said.
But they have washed their hands of it.
Nissan didn't buy the 5,000 units a year they said they would do they stopped the engine or stopped it from going to nissan. It's still being put on busses from what I understand. And I really liked my truck up until now. I always wondered what the cap people were doing to cause the problems. Me I was driving 15 mph in a RV camp ground empty although I did say we should get one of those and the truck freaked out and started panting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine happened coming off of a high bridge at about 60 mph. Heard a “hole in the exhaust “ sound, two seconds later the warning flashed on screen and two seconds later it quit; just shut off. How I manhandled that beast to stay on the bridge, I don’t know. Would have been better off had I drove it directly into the ditch once off the bridge , but that’s hindsight. I’m meticulous concerning maintenance. With all of the issues continually popping up, I wanted to be extra careful. Mine had been perfect up until 128,000 miles when this occurred. Crankshaft, of course. My problem was that it didn’t happen under warranty. So now I have $60,000 paperweight. Nissan wanted $19,000 to replace long block. I have finally found one totaled in rear end with 28k miles on it but since they are scarce, it still cost $6500 plus another $2500-3000 in labor. I’m sick over it. I loved that truck kibitz really feel let down by nissan and the famed Cummins. It will be sold immediately once it’s fixed.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,683 Posts
totally understandable, @calligoo7

the regular engine was 16k, if i remember when they did mine. and buying used is terrible when you have to replace an engine and its not easily attainable. shipping, cost of engine, install cost.... the list seems to go on and on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts