Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 LE King Cab 4x4 35,000 miles with Nav, Offroad, step rails, utilitrac, etc...original sticker about $37k, paid about $35k.

NADA private party -> 23,750
NADA Trade In -> 20,500

Kelly Blue Book private party -> 22,755
Kelly Blue Book trade in -> 20,400

Just looking back at my last trade-in for the Titan was a 2001 Silverado 2500HD Reg Cab 4x4 Duramax Diesel, 6 spd manual, got almost $24,000 at trade toward the Titan.

The Titan has been a solid truck for me, holding up well in most regards except poor resale value, possible consequence of "Not Recommended" rating by Consumer Reports? <-- Well I doubt they recommended my last truck either, but it held up very well on trade. Disappointing.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
yeah I know what you mean, i went to trade up a few months back and the dealer offered me 10k (originally paid 26k) I had a 90k + miles then, so I waited and traded the wifes 06' Atima for an 07' Titan. So now I have 2 and cant complain.:hat:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jasonmotox said:
yeah I know what you mean, i went to trade up a few months back and the dealer offered me 10k (originally paid 26k) I had a 90k + miles then, so I waited and traded the wifes 06' Atima for an 07' Titan. So now I have 2 and cant complain.:hat:
Yeah, but your depreciation on trade would have been about $16.0k for 3 years and 90,000 miles versus about $14.7k on mine for 35,000 miles. I don't know how yours is equipped but I suspect I'm not getting good return on the luxury premium items. Dealer incentives on the new ones hurt the resale also, which would not be offered if the truck was selling hotcakes. Well looking at your numbers above, for $26k new yours would have been more basic. The smart wisdom for me would be to just hold on and drive it some more but I've got that 3 yr itch.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
What's killing resale value is the $3000 rebate on a brand new Titan.

Clint

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clint said:
What's killing resale value is the $3000 rebate on a brand new Titan.

Clint
Seems to me there was a rebate of $1,000 when I bought it, and like two weeks later it was $1,500, so perhaps what I paid was more like $34k instead of $35k.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Yes, resale on the LE is not much better than the SE.

This is true for most cars, the luxury items add little to the resale value. Especially true for trucks where many people see them as a utility as opposed to luxury. Combine that with high gas prices, and increased incentives along with consumer reports offering up a death blow, and you have below average resale values.

Kinda wish I would have waited to buy mine, and bought a used 05 or 06 right now...

Oh well... I just won't be selling mine. It's worth more to me than the market rate.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adavis99 said:
Yes, resale on the LE is not much better than the SE.

This is true for most cars, the luxury items add little to the resale value. Especially true for trucks where many people see them as a utility as opposed to luxury. Combine that with high gas prices, and increased incentives along with consumer reports offering up a death blow, and you have below average resale values.

Kinda wish I would have waited to buy mine, and bought a used 05 or 06 right now...

Oh well... I just won't be selling mine. It's worth more to me than the market rate.
My truck seems to be the poster child for exactly what you say. Yes I should keep it, but...

If you want a real laugh (or good cry), try http://www.blackbookonline.com/consumer/trade_value.html

Don't enter in too much personal info, you'll get sales calls I'm sure. But here's what was returned for my 2004 King Cab LE 4x4 35k miles with Nav

$14,240 - $18,000 Ouch! :upsidedow

·
Registered
483 Posts
You think we have it bad , look up the resale values on the Dodge Ram the Chevy and Ford trucks those really suck, they are having to deal with rebates of $5,000 and up on their trucks. Consumer Reports dogs them as well.Can you imagine trying to get out of that hole with a truck that sucks and your stuck with it for 5 years. :crying:

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Trucks, in general, don't hold their value. The high gas prices, rebates etc are killing used prices. Your best bet with a 4WD is to sell it in the fall.winter months. They're worth the most then. Once spring rolls around, forget it...that's minivan time.

·
Registered
908 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Trucks, in general, don't hold their value. The high gas prices, rebates etc are killing used prices. Your best bet with a 4WD is to sell it in the fall.winter months. They're worth the most then. Once spring rolls around, forget it...that's minivan time.
Plain jane no thrills Toyota's hold their values. I remember I bought my 2WD no cab pickup for $9000 brand new. Drove it 4 years then sold it for $6500 :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HudsonValleyTitan said:
Trucks, in general, don't hold their value. The high gas prices, rebates etc are killing used prices.
They sure used to, when trucks were trucks. It must have changed when people (like me) went upscale and it became another high depreciation market segment.

I should just hold onto it then if there's no market for it.

·
Super Moderator
36,650 Posts
SDTitan1 said:
off topic but an 04 w/15K, [email protected] P, work from home?

HAHA... He could tell you but, I think he could not drive real far for a while .. :crying:

I have ~ 37,000 on my 05

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have actually gone back and forth compairing my 04 Titan with every other 1/2 ton with the same options (as close as I could get) and from what I see the Titan is actually decent (better than chevy, ford, dodge, not as good as Toyota). They were all really close though. I was going to trade my Titan awile back on a chevy 2500 they were giving some really good deals around here and I am (was) a GM man at heart and what they told me the sales manager is a good freind of mine, is that they have a tough time selling the Titans and Tundras for that. They have personal relasionships with the local and they buy alot of trucks and they know they will sell those Chevy's and Fords.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I guess I am not doing to bad considering what I paid for my 2005 KC SE.

Private party sale
Condition Value
Excellent
$21,275
Good
$20,030
Fair
$18,380

Retail
$23,415

I paid less than for the truck New.

cre cab 2005 SE

Condition Value Private party

Excellent
$21,625
Good
$20,415
Fair
$18,220

Retail $25,915

I did you truck with my Zip
KBB was $22,230 for private
$24,430 for retail

Roughly $1000 difference between the trucks in my area. Both my trucks are SE's

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you subtract out all the pricey options that were added when purchased you will see that the basic truck has as good a value as any other brand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts