Premium Member
158 Posts
Very nice,
How did you fab it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I found a old construction rack from dodge ram long bed, (It was being thrown away so I paid nothing for it). I decided what I wanted it to look like and started with the front by cutting and shorting it to my plan, and spot welded the sides to get the roof angles right. Then copying it to the rear. once I got all the uprights correct, I started shorting the horizontal beams. then the hardest part was to cut, and weld the cross beams. I had to add about ten inches to the middle of the front one and six inches to the rear., I used the removed material from the sides to do this. I also design the rear horizontal so that I can remove it by a simple slide latch on each end. That way I can still use the bed for tall items such as dirt bikes. Then I finished all my welds, ground the rough ugly welded areas, (and their were a lot of them), drilled new mounting holes, applied bondo in the weld seams and joints, painted it with four good coats of bed liner coating, bolted it all together. Now I want to add a hot water maker pipe (4" black PVC), shovel and ax holders and roof top tent. My wife is really liking what I am doing to her truck.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
awesome work

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Thanks, and it was fun.
i built a flat version years ago, wasn't nearly as nice lol. it slid in and clamped to the utilitracks on the bed sides but it weighed like 150 lbs lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any photos, I would like to see it. I think anyone who try a DIY like this should show all of us. It inspires creativity.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, for posting the pics, however the pics didnt show up clear. However what I could see I did like and the one thing truly respected were your welds.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Looks solid. If you like his welds, you should see the crap he did on the light bar he sold me. Pretty sure those were his practice rounds. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, for posting the pics, however the pics didnt show up clear. However what I could see I did like and the one thing truly respected were your welds.
Looks solid. If you like his welds, you should see the crap he did on the light bar he sold me. Pretty sure those were his practice rounds. :ROFLMAO:
yea thanks to photo bucket for ruining the pics.

lmfao yea i am 99.9%sure that i warned you about those tabs i added lmao...bird sh1t works well

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cant comment on how his welds looked on what he sold you. This is why I will not sell anything I have ever built for myself. My welds may not look like someone's that welds for a living but the are strong enough to do the job. When I no longer have a need for this rack I will just cut it up and throw it away.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I was just messing with him. If I was that concerned about it I'd clean them up. The tabs work, they provide more options for lights, and my light bar covers them up anyway. And he did tell me about them before he sold it to me.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
Cant comment on how his welds looked on what he sold you. This is why I will not sell anything I have ever built for myself. My welds may not look like someone's that welds for a living but the are strong enough to do the job. When I no longer have a need for this rack I will just cut it up and throw it away.
lol i repurposed mine for a few years. the tie down strips i bought for it are now on a camping trailer, most of the square tubing was cut up for other projects, i still have some of the flat strap i used to slide inside the utilitrack as the clamping method

lax and i have been giving each other sh1t for about 10 years now, don't worry about the BS he spews lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just bought a roof top tent to install on the top of the rack. I also built a hot water tube and tool, (shovel and axe) ,mount.
Plan on doing the install this weekend.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
So does it only sit on the rack or does it hang over the roof as well? Seems like your rack isn't quite level with the roof.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When in the closed position it is 5 ft long x 4 ft wide, so it sits on the rack behind the cab. The way am going to set it up is when it opens it will unfold to 5 ft x 8 ft with the overhang on the passenger side of the bed.

·
Registered
14,115 Posts
i really want a hardshell RTT. we've been renting one for a year or so on the 4-5 weekends we go camping, they're SO NICE. ground camping sucks lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts