Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I got in my truck at 5am and headed to work. Anyone on the east coast knows how cold it's been lately. It was 18 degrees with a nice wind in my area.

So anyway, as I'm stopping for a traffic light, the engine dies. I don't think too much of it, thinking maybe the unusual cold is to blame. I restart easily and keep driving.

A few minutes later, the truck died a 2nd time while I was driving at 40mph. I ease it off to the side of the road. Restart is not easy this time. The engine cranks over but will not start. A few times, the engine tried to start but dieseled at a really low rpm and cut back off. So I sat on the side of the road for a few minutes before trying again. Finally, the truck started back up.

Knowing that there is definitely a problem, I drive a little faster trying to reach work before it happens again. I was 1 mile from work when it died a 3rd time. :ftard: This time, it took me 15 minutes to get it restarted.

I finally make it to work. Once I parked the truck, it would not restart at all, even after an hour or two of rest.

So I searched the forum and determined that I probably have a bad ecu relay in the IPDM box. I also learn that there is a recall.

Before the dealership opened, I pulled my ECU relay out and took it inside to my electronics shop. I applied 12v to the coil of the relay, while measuring the resistance of the contacts. I was reading .2 ohms across the contacts. Normally, this indicates a good relay. So I kept testing by switching the relay on and off numerous times. I also energized the coil for a long period of time. All of the tests indicated a good relay.

The only thing I didn't do was to put a heavy load on the relay, which is probably where I went wrong. Looking back, at best I applied a few milliamps of current through the relay contacts. I think the ECU relay can handle 35amps or so? That kind of current is definitely a game changer.

Although I was now skeptical that my problem was with the relay, I decided to try it anyway. I call the local dealer, and surprisingly, they were aware of the recall and had 20 relays in stock. I tried to get the truck to the dealer (less than 2 miles) but it just would not restart. The best I could get is a 300rpm dieseling idle.

Since I couldn't get the truck to Nissan for the recall, I had to buy the relay and do it myself. It was $2.64 out the door, part number 284B7-CW29E.

It took only 5 minutes to swap the relay but felt like 5 hours in the below freezing temp with wind and no coat.
:teethmast

To my surprise, the truck fired right up and has run perfect for the last day.
It could be my imagination, but I think the truck runs smoother too, since changing out the relay. It's amazing how a $3 part can cause so much trouble.

Afterwards, I was still puzzled about the original relay. I had tested it numerous ways but could not detect a fault. So I took it apart. When I peeled back the contact arm, I was able to see the oxidation on the contacts that was mentioned in the recall.....
"Silicon vapor may form inside the electrical relay that supplies voltage to the engine control module," said the company. "Over time, this vapor could create oxidation on the electrical contacts in the relay that may lead to engine performance issues, including the possibility of stalling at low engine speeds."

Hope someone will find this useful.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the write up!!!!! The picture explains it nicely. I am going to call my local Nissan with that part number and see if they have any yet. My truck has done this numerous times like you have explained.

That had to be a cold repair job!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The next ? Is did they redesign the reley, or did they just replacing it with another one. (old style) that will go bad after time.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The next ? Is did they redesign the reley, or did they just replacing it with another one. (old style) that will go bad after time.
I did notice that the original relay was made in Japan, while the new one was manufactured in a different country (Thailand I think).

So I'm hoping it's a better design. Just in case, I think I'm going to buy a couple more and keep them in the dash.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
woundering if I should check mine, I have 85K on my 08

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I have a relay in each of my trucks glove box. I replaced the entire IPDM at 40K.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Getting a Macro shoot of the Relay Lettering will be nice, if somebody can do that. I will drop by the local dealer within the next couple weeks and pick one up, if they don't do a IPDM Relay Recall on me. Nice to see the inside, fairly typical looking arcing though imo.. it would be nice to see another similar relay not in a recall and compare. I had same results with a failed Relay provided to me last year when I was investigating the OEM Source. I didn't have a quick way to place a heavy load on it at work. That arc burn could certainly prevent high current flow though.

Excellent write up Misfit! :)

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I was at my dealer today to see if they had any, they gave me 2 free ones!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Seems like you have all the bad luck with the Titans. :(

I'm driving to Savannah, GA and back Saturday, hope mine doesn't decide to quit, i think I might go buy one tomorrow just for good hopes. I'd hate to get down there with a 1800lb trailer and 3300lb car and not be able to get because of a $3 part.

You don't happen to use Benson Nissan in Spartanburg do you?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm wondering how about the reset of the relays in the ipdm box? Should they be replaced to? I mean if the ecm relay go's bad
Can't the rest of them also go bad? The other relay might not run the ECM but the do control other things.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You don't happen to use Benson Nissan in Spartanburg do you?
I've talked to them on the phone, but never have been there. I go to Nissan of Greer for parts (closest to me) and use Crown Nissan in Greenville for service (They're more competent than Greer Nissan).

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm wondering how about the reset of the relays in the ipdm box? Should they be replaced to? I mean if the ecm relay go's bad
Can't the rest of them also go bad? The other relay might not run the ECM but the do control other things.
The picture is courtesy of baseballfanz. As cheap as the relays are, it might be a good idea to replace the starter and ignition relay. Most of the other relays in the IPDM wouldn't be as big of an issue if they failed, more of an inconvenience than a being stranded situation.

I wonder if the other relays are all the same? Can they be bought separate, like the ECU relay?

Or, could the ECU Relay replace the other relays? :confused: As far as I know, the only difference between the ECU Relay and the Fog Lamp Relay is the protection diode that is across the coil of the ECU Relay. If it will work, it would be nice to have a "1 relay fits all" spare in the dash.
I suppose if the current rating of the ECU Relay is sufficient and has the same pinout as the other relays, it will work.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I use either Crown Nissan or Peidmont Nissan in Anderson

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was at my dealer today to see if they had any, they gave me 2 free ones!

Wow.....your lucky day???? :eyebrow: makes me want to "stop in" my dealer now! :)

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
They probably get the relays for free, give them away, probably bill Nissan for replacing them. Oh, and I think they made a few $ with 15 minute installs of $100 IPDMs for $400 back when they designated the relays as "can not be replaced - must buy new IPDM". Yeah, really cool the way Nissan and dealers have stepped right up to the plate on this one (after the guys on this forum posted the problem and its solution).

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The picture is courtesy of baseballfanz. As cheap as the relays are, it might be a good idea to replace the starter and ignition relay. Most of the other relays in the IPDM wouldn't be as big of an issue if they failed, more of an inconvenience than a being stranded situation.

I wonder if the other relays are all the same? Can they be bought separate, like the ECU relay?

Or, could the ECU Relay replace the other relays? :confused: As far as I know, the only difference between the ECU Relay and the Fog Lamp Relay is the protection diode that is across the coil of the ECU Relay. If it will work, it would be nice to have a "1 relay fits all" spare in the dash.
I suppose if the current rating of the ECU Relay is sufficient and has the same pinout as the other relays, it will work.

Yes, all the others are one model. Only the presence of the Diode is the difference. I'm certain it would work in the other positions, but remember that Diode Protected Relays (Protection is for the Load, not the Relay itself) decreases Relay lifespan.

For the price they are at the Dealer, grab several and rest well at night!

Reactions: Misfit

·
Registered
100 Posts
They probably get the relays for free, give them away, probably bill Nissan for replacing them. Oh, and I think they made a few $ with 15 minute installs of $100 IPDMs for $400 back when they designated the relays as "can not be replaced - must buy new IPDM". Yeah, really cool the way Nissan and dealers have stepped right up to the plate on this one (after the guys on this forum posted the problem and its solution).
I had my IPDM fail a week before the recall. Dealership charged me $480 for a new IPDM. Had to bring truck back in today so they could recheck it (probably bill Nissan twice) and take it off the recall list on the computer so I could then get my reimbursement of $480. Basically, I got a new IPDM and relay in the deal.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So a week later, and no more problems. :)

It could just be my imagination, but the truck seems to run smoother since replacing the relay.:confused:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So a week later, and no more problems. :)

It could just be my imagination, but the truck seems to run smoother since replacing the relay.:confused:
I noticed mine may be going out. I picked up an extra the other day.

On colder days, even when it's up to temp, and I floor it, it begins to rev, skips, then catches back in. Gonna pull mine tomorrow.

By the way Misfit, my LT's came in today, meaning I'll order upRev around new years and will be back at your place to learn how to use this thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts