Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Can you eat the meat or is just shooting for sport? I didnt know it was legal to hunt them.

·
Super Moderator
35,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you eat the meat or is just shooting for sport? I didnt know it was legal to hunt them.
They may have served it at your favorite restaurant. . .(j/k) would you eat wild dog unless you were really, really hungry or didn't know what it was?

Coyotes are predators. They attack/eat calves, ponies, house cats, fawns, small domestic dogs, etc. The people who live where this one was taken are afraid to go out at night due to the coyote activity. I can't say whether or not that their fears are well founded but coyotes and human activity usually don't get along.

People ask us to hunt them on their property and we do it for free. You can hunt coyote all year round with no limit in Tennessee and it is the same in most states, I believe.

·
Registered
928 Posts
good to know... I just learned something new today.

Reactions: CEaton

·
Premium Member
58,322 Posts
The road runner is safe for now.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Coyotes are predators. They attack/eat calves, ponies, house cats, fawns, small domestic dogs, etc. The people who live where this one was taken are afraid to go out at night due to the coyote activity. I can't say whether or not that their fears are well founded but coyotes and human activity usually don't get along.

People ask us to hunt them on their property and we do it for free. You can hunt coyote all year round with no limit in Tennessee and it is the same in most states, I believe.
Not saying you did anything illegal, though I wonder how necessary it is.

Do the people have calves, ponies, house cats, or small dogs outside at night? I grew up in Missouri on a lot of land, family members with such and coyotes were of rarely a concern. If I was a chicken or a sheep farmer I'd probably feel differently.

Humans have little to fear from coyotes. We have friends with horses who just send their dogs out at night to run their property. Mind, these horses live outside year round. It's great fun to watch them "clean-up" with a spotlight. Like the nightly rounds of prison warden. Coyote on people attacks are extremely rare. Even children under five are more likely to be bit by the family pet than dragged off into the woods by a Coyote.

37L1, it sounds like you're doing a free service for someone who thinks they need the protection. Good on you, I guess.

Though I hope their need is for something very specific (i.e. evidence of endangered livestock).

We need predators in the wild. This is the balance of nature, and hope that the mere existence of something called a predator is not the reason for such killing.

Re: "Coyote + human activity means we rarely get along" — that's possibly true though I'm not sure why an advanced species like relegates ourselves to killing to solve that quandary. Likely, the were around first before humans build houses near their homes...one man's freedom fighter...

And on the topic of eating them...I'm not surprised they stunk and very much doubt anyone would enjoy the meat. Humans tend to crave plant-feed animals for reason.

·
Super Moderator
35,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not saying you did anything illegal, though I wonder how necessary it is.

Do the people have calves, ponies, house cats, or small dogs outside at night? I grew up in Missouri on a lot of land, family members with such and coyotes were of rarely a concern. If I was a chicken or a sheep farmer I'd probably feel differently.

Humans have little to fear from coyotes. We have friends with horses who just send their dogs out at night to run their property. It's great fun to watch them "clean-up" with a spotlight. Like the nightly rounds of prison warden. Coyote on people attacks are extremely rare. Even children under five are more likely to be bit by the family pet than dragged off into the woods by a Coyote.

37L1, it sounds like you're doing a free service for someone who thinks they need the protection. Good on you, I guess.

Though I hope their need is for something very specific (i.e. evidence of endangered livestock).

We need predators in the wild. This is the balance of nature, and hope that the mere existence of something called a predator is not the reason for such killing.
This was a farm, with chickens, goats, calves, cows, you know, rural type animals. Oh yeah, the owner has already lost more than one family pet.

Feel any better now?

I wonder how you feel about deer hunters. . .

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
FWIW, here is a really interesting study about the ecology of coyote presence in Cook County, Illinois (i.e. Chicago). In this case, coyote and man are getting along quite well, and the coyotes are quite at home helping us (indirectly) with another common nuisance—rat populations.

Urban Coyote Ecology and Management -Cook County, Illinois, Coyote Project

Pretty fascinating stuff.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
This was a farm, with chickens, goats, calves, cows, you know, rural type animals. Oh yeah, the owner has already lost more than one family pet.

Feel any better now?

I wonder how you feel about deer hunters. . .
I grew up bow hunting, quail hunting, and had Irish Shepherds as pets. FWIW, I enjoyed the walking around in the woods part, but always wondered why we were so eager to bring home meat that tasted like **** (not to mention the occasional piece of buckshot).

Those activities didn't take into adulthood.

Not here to judge 37L1, though I admit to appreciating our animal friends more than most.

And if it comes between killing bambi and letting her and all her friends starve to death, I say go get 'em. Actually, please get them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
37L1, nice shot. That is a pretty good sized coyote.

Never encountered coyotes in IL, but that study seems a bit off. Coyotes are opportunistic and will go for an easy meal. How much easier than a plot of fenced land where the prey has limited room to escape?

While walking my dog, I've had a few encounters with coyotes here in the suburbs of CO. Usually, I see one or two coyotes and they avoid me and my dog. Live and let live in instances such as this.

I have come close to drawing my P226 though. The more coyotes there are, the more likely they are to consider you prey. I've got a medium/large sized dog (Aussy Shepard/GSD mix) but I'm not letting him go toe to toe with four coyotes.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts