Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched a lot of places (including here) without much luck in finding a cheap way to mount bikes in the truck securely. I ended up deciding to get 2 Delta fork mount racks with locks and mount them directly to the truck.

I read another member's post on here that mentioned drilling through the roof they encountered a metal that broke a few bits so I was hesitant, but this was actually super easy, quick and looks/works great! The two locking mounts plus all stainless hardware (3/8 x 1" bolts, washers, locking nut) was only $35. The installation took all of 20 minutes with drilling and leveling and everything.

This is a cheap and effective solution for those without utilitrack that do not want to hinder their cargo carrying capabilities. :teethmast

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Got the same set up for my mtn bikes. Freaking awesome hey!?!? Every checks it out when u pull up to go for a rip.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't on my phone but I can easily get some tonight. I ordered 2 more as I believe I can fit 4 bikes across the back and usually am the driver for a few people to bar crawl ride starting points.

I'll take some closer pictures tonight with a real camera.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got out and took some (low light) shots of the brackets. I take the quick release level off when the bikes are not on there just to give it more of a hidden look. This is what it looks like when I am not hauling anything.

Attachments

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
How did you mount those Delta brackets? Did you use self-tapping screws or did you squeeze your fingers between the cab and the bed and get a few nuts back there?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There is enough space to squeeze fingers back to start the nut, then I used a wrench and just held it flush with the back of the bed while I tightened the screw from the front. I did it this way so it would be harder for someone to just come along and take them off. Now it'll actually take some time and the right tools to take them off. It was actually easier than it sounds.

I mounted mine high for 3 reasons:
1. I wouldn't be able to reach as far down to screw a nut on if it was lower
2. It keeps them up and out of the way when hauling coolers, beer pong tables, plywood stacks, etc.
3. For road bikes, the bars actually stick out too much so they would hit the truck if it was much lower.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks for the info - I looked at my truck and even though it has 212k miles on it, it doesn't have clearance for my hand to get too far in there.
I'm going to use the Delta locking rack secured to a pt 2x4 that will be secured to the bed utilitrack rails via a couple of cannibalized small utilitrack stops that came with the truck - they were rusting away anyway so I might as well use them where I can...went and bought some longer 5/16" bolts and washers and will have a sub-$25 rack solution for my bike

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Great idea post some pic's when you get done! I need to put a couple of those bike mounts in the bed of my T too! :)

I hate piling 3-4 expensive MTB's on top of each other in the bed when we go trail riding! Its a PITA!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ I dislike that one. You can look at my semi negative review on it on Amazon if you'd like ;)

It is too tight and not easily maneuvered. Can be bad for the pain on the forks. Good luck though!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
For as little as I will use it and with steel forks, I am OK with it. Didn't get to do the lumber cutting and drilling like I wanted to get the system set plus I need some bolts and lock nuts and washers for the fork mount. The orange store doesn't have quite the selection that the blue store does but the blue store isn't around the corner from me...so I have to get there too.

Sometime this week or the weekend I will knock it out

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
old thread i know but, how do you like the delta mount? ive read that you can work the screw loose on the skewer even when its locked

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Like many other projects, it remains unfinished...

I found that both my road bike and my hybrid bike fit (one at a time) in the back seat area of the crew cab with the seats up. Haven't had the need to put the bike in the bed yet...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Like many other projects, it remains unfinished...

I found that both my road bike and my hybrid bike fit (one at a time) in the back seat area of the crew cab with the seats up. Haven't had the need to put the bike in the bed yet...
yeah thats what i do but im tired of throwing mine and my buddies bikes on my back seat. i have subs under it so i cant fold it up. and i dont like just laying them in the bed. especially because my friend just bought a $2000 speciallized. its not even mine and i dont like the thought of that thing sliding around back there lol. ill probably just go with the thule. its more expensive but i havent read any bad reviews on it

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I bought the same bike as Hawkeye (Felt Z85) and I am getting close to putting the Titan to the side, only to be relegated to cargo duty...after 219k miles, it is starting to slip a bit in different areas (including a horrible popping sound from the front end when steering under load).

Next up is a Subaru Impreza...probably sometime in late Jan / early Feb and for that, I will get a Thule roof system for the rails that come on the sport model.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the roof rack system is nice. a friend has it on his car and its really nice. if only the titan wasnt so tall lol. oh well just ordered the thule low rider mount so we will see how it goes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts