Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has been a week since I picked up the Titan and I was needing to fill it up. Mainly driven through city type km's with about 25% highway use.

I ended up with a nice fat juicy 8.5 mpg or 27.7L/100 lol :teeth:

I'm sure it it'll get better with use, but I figured we could all use a good laugh.

Anyone with a similar story, with marked improvement later?

·
Super Moderator
159,751 Posts
:lol: Wow, can't say that mine was that low, even when new. It does get better though. You'll see gradual improvement in the way it drives (and the mileage maybe) up until about 10k miles, less dramatic improvement between 5 and 10k though. Most of the improvement will be earlier in that first 10k you put on it as things loosen up and break in. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im gettin about 8-10 right now, all city, insanely cold temps in Alaska, lots of 4wd, lots of 10-15 minute warmups in the morning. I have 410 miles on mine right now.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Im gettin about 8-10 right now, all city, insanely cold temps in Alaska, lots of 4wd, lots of 10-15 minute warmups in the morning. I have 410 miles on mine right now.
8-10 right now like you. except it's like 70-80 outside here, with 26k miles, and i drive like a jerk. lol

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I think I get like 10-12MPG no matter where I go. Freeway, city, country road, etc..

The only time I get any different is when I tow and then I get 8. Ow.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I average 8-9mpg city. I fill up..and I get just under 200 miles on a tank before I fill up (just below the 1/4 mark)

Oh and I have 71k miles.

·
Banned
1,022 Posts
i get about 19 hwy, 14 city. i try to baby it as much as i can, so i can punch it later!

-dave

·
Registered
198 Posts
wow...glad I'm not the only one with crappy mileage, but I don't have the excuse of living in a <0 degree climate... 11.5 mpg currently with toyo m/t's winter time and about 13.5 with stock pro4x tires summer time. 4WD, long bed. Mostly highway, 45-70mph. Bakflip cover didn't help a damn bit :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
All we need to complete this thread is for a TTer to come along and defend the Titan's efficiency (contradiction in terms?) while telling us that it's just a truck and that we should expect the MPG we get, because all other full size trucks perform the same. :flamed:

<----Previous owner of a GM 5.3 4X4 that could almost touch 20 MPG on the highway on a good day, and got 15 MPG - easy - in city driving. Current owner of a (much more liked and enjoyable) Titan 4WD that's averages 13 MPG day-to-day, and sometimes breaks 15 highway if the cruise at 65 MPH with a tail wind and the outside temp is not too cold, or too warm. Towing? Don't ask.

Shortly after I first bought my Titan I asked the service manager if something might be wrong or out of spec on my truck, due to my horrid mileage. He just sort of laughed and said that all new Titan owners ask him that, and my MPG was just "normal" for the Titan. :teethmast

EDIT: I attached a pic of a buddy of mine's '05 Sierra. It's heavier (crew cab vs. my king cab), has a 6" lift, 20" wheels, and 35" tires. He gets the same city MPG as my 100% stock Titan, and actually does better on the highway and towing similar loads. :ftard:

·
Super Moderator
159,751 Posts
<<<<Owner of a 2006 Titan KC LE BT 2WD that has almost gotten to the 20 mpg mark on an all highway trip.

<<<<Also the owner of the same Titan that's gotten as low as 5 or 6 mpg with the travel trailer hooked up.

<<<<Same owner of the same Titan is quite pleased with the highway mileage he's gotten, but isn't surprised in the least by any of the other mpgs the truck has turned, including the 5 or 6 mpg.

·
Registered
542 Posts
<<<<Owner of a 2006 Titan KC LE BT 2WD that has almost gotten to the 20 mpg mark on an all highway trip.

<<<<Also the owner of the same Titan that's gotten as low as 5 or 6 mpg with the travel trailer hooked up.

<<<<Same owner of the same Titan is quite pleased with the highway mileage he's gotten, but isn't surprised in the least by any of the other mpgs the truck has turned, including the 5 or 6 mpg.
^^^Owner of a more gas frugal 2WD.

<<<Creator of previous post was talking about all 4WD's in his examples (sorry, guess I should have made that more clear).

:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
No kidding, Ten39...that's how these web forums go, isn't it....

For the record, I'm not complaining, but I would be interested to know why the Titan's mileage is (maginally) worse than other brands. Everyone sings the praises of the drivetrain efficiency, so I have to assume it lies in the engine itself. Maybe someone with "actual knowledge" can chime in ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
No kidding, Ten39...that's how these web forums go, isn't it....

For the record, I'm not complaining, but I would be interested to know why the Titan's mileage is (maginally) worse than other brands. Everyone sings the praises of the drivetrain efficiency, so I have to assume it lies in the engine itself. Maybe someone with "actual knowledge" can chime in ;)
Yeah, if you go to other brand-specific full size truck forums there's basically 3 things known and poked fun at when the Titan is brought up:

1. The rear ends.
2. The brakes.
3. The fuel mileage.

The first two of those items are well-known and documented issues, the last didn't just invent itself out of thin air.

Each full size truck has it's known platform problems, even the new Tundra, so that's not the point. I'm not saying the Titan is the only full size truck with problems, because it definitely not. The point is that the fuel economy woes of the Titan weren't just generated in a vacuum or an imaginary world- they're real just like the brake and diff issues.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
My guess, and WTFDIK, is that Nissan, as a late-entry to the fullsize truck arena, chose to differentiate on performance. Certainly they're not doing it on luxury amenities, witness the latest comparison reviews that use words like 'basic.' (I like basic...) But the reviews all seem to contain a comment like "THIS TRUCK HAULS A$$!"

The first two gear ratios - the all-important stoplight grand prix 0-60 gears are quite low. Good off the line but you pay a price for that performance. The upper overdrive ratios are nice and tall (1000 rpm at 80!) but you have to be fairly gentle to get there and stay there.

In my zero-highway commute of suburban roads over rolling terrain I get right around 15 mpg in my '05 XE KC. I sometimes take the highway and if I do a lot (maybe half) of that I can approach 16 - which I figure is average for a vehicle with rated 14-18. (But the highway route is 50% longer and my mileage is not 50% better, plus it's a toll road so I pay twice...)

60000 mi, still on the original plugs AFAIK. That'll get changed come spring. New-to-me at 56000 so the first thing I did was run some good injector and valve cleaner through it and replace the fluids with good synthetic stuff, and LubroMoly MoS2 gear supplement in the transfer case and diffs. The biggest single improvement came after bumping tire pressure from the 30 the guys at the tire shop put in to 36 like I asked them to.

Yes - I drive pretty gentle and spend virtually zero time over 2000 rpm. This is a daily driver for me, not the play car. (I have the RSR for that.)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
My guess, and WTFDIK, is that Nissan, as a late-entry to the fullsize truck arena, chose to differentiate on performance. Certainly they're not doing it on luxury amenities, witness the latest comparison reviews that use words like 'basic.' (I like basic...) But the reviews all seem to contain a comment like "THIS TRUCK HAULS A$$!"

The first two gear ratios - the all-important stoplight grand prix 0-60 gears are quite low. Good off the line but you pay a price for that performance. The upper overdrive ratios are nice and tall (1000 rpm at 80!) but you have to be fairly gentle to get there and stay there.

In my zero-highway commute of suburban roads over rolling terrain I get right around 15 mpg in my '05 XE KC. I sometimes take the highway and if I do a lot (maybe half) of that I can approach 16 - which I figure is average for a vehicle with rated 14-18. (But the highway route is 50% longer and my mileage is not 50% better, plus it's a toll road so I pay twice...)

60000 mi, still on the original plugs AFAIK. That'll get changed come spring. New-to-me at 56000 so the first thing I did was run some good injector and valve cleaner through it and replace the fluids with good synthetic stuff, and LubroMoly MoS2 gear supplement in the transfer case and diffs. The biggest single improvement came after bumping tire pressure from the 30 the guys at the tire shop put in to 36 like I asked them to.

Yes - I drive pretty gentle and spend virtually zero time over 2000 rpm. This is a daily driver for me, not the play car. (I have the RSR for that.)
The manual says plugs don't have to be touched until 100,000 and tire pressure should be 35 anyway if you look at the sticker on the door jamb.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I feel lucky. Worst MPG I've gotten is just shy of 14mpg, I average 15mpg combined and have seen as high as 18mpg. I don't feel like I drive slowly, but I only get on it when it's necessary. I just put on a Stillen exhaust, if my MPGs go down I may go back to stock but so far I'm right on track for 15mpg.
In contrast I usually only got 12.5mpg out of my extended cab v6 5spd F150.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The upper overdrive ratios are nice and tall (1000 rpm at 80!) but you have to be fairly gentle to get there and stay there.
Say what??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts