Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get off of work in about an hour, and my Titan is repaired.

Apparently, the manufacturer left a piece out of a wiring harness located in the driver's door. The wire arced out onto another wire's surface. The fire burned through 5 additional wires in the harness and damaged the harness itself.

The service repair manager said it doesn't seem to be a future recall issue. He did however say that he's seen similar things happen to Altimas and Maximas, so go figure.

glock40, you get no pics.

P, no hard feelings.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I wonder if I could look at mine and see if it's missing this peice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to get a better description in person. All I got was over the phone a few minutes ago. I don't know much, but for a wire to be secured in a harness and still arc out, I would think the most likely way would be missing insulation on the wire itself.

We'll see.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it stayed contained in the door itself.

The service repair manager originally told me the replacement harness was being overnighted the day I dropped it off.

It wasn't.

I don't how much BS this was, but he told me he got in touch with his regional something or other manager and got the piece zipped in directly after his boss was told the truck was just a few days off the lot.

I never saw any scorching on the exterior nor any warping on the interior door panel.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What did U do just undo the neg cable.

·
Premium Member
43,122 Posts
bconne1 said:

The service repair manager originally told me the replacement harness was being overnighted the day I dropped it off.

It wasn't.

I don't how much BS this was, but he told me he got in touch with his regional something or other manager and got the piece zipped in directly after his boss was told the truck was just a few days off the lot.

I never saw any scorching on the exterior nor any warping on the interior door panel.
sorry I was thinking of another Titan fire in the door thread. Just got a little confused.

So it didn't cause any damage to anything else in the door?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, I was like WTF?!

Then, I looked for a fire extinguisher.

Then, I remembered I couldn't get at the fire in the door.

Then, I got a phone to call 911.

Then, it stopped smoking.

I was so pissed I drove it to the dealership without caring. I turned it over while it was smoking to move it away from my friends' cars, so I knew it would drive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gadget74 said:
sorry I was thinking of another Titan fire in the door thread. Just got a little confused.

So it didn't cause any damage to anything else in the door?
Apparently not. You know how much stink and smoke insulation and plastic can put out. Hopefully/obviously there wasn't much around that particular harness to catch.

I'm going to go over the paint and door panel with a fine toothed comb before I drive away. Believe that.

·
Super Moderator
36,626 Posts
bconne1 said:

It wasn't.

I would be asking for a door replacement ... interior door damage???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RobKar said:
I would be asking for a door replacement ... interior door damage???
They will be if there's any sign of damage. Since I drove it there and looked at it before I left work I don't think there's any big concern.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is the second one kinda like this I've read . If there's a problem I hope it was just Monday and Friday trucks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, there's another user here who wasn't so lucky.

Anyway, I'm going to pick it up now. Cross your fingers for me boys.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yah post an update later..

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Do you still wish you had your Ford or Toyota back, or are you going keep the Titan?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jbglenn said:
Do you still wish you had your Ford or Toyota back, or are you going keep the Titan?
Well, I can't get either back. I traded the Ford back in Louisiana and the 4Runner is already off to auction.

All things considered, I do miss the Ford. However, the Titan is far nicer and more powerful. In all honesty, I probably like it more than any vehicle I've ever owned, including my wife's Infiniti. It's just that it spent 25% of it's time with at the dealer's service depart. That's no exaggeration either - I have had the truck since last Monday and it's been in the shop on two separate occasions for a total of 3 days.

I've just had great luck with cars and trucks in the past, and I think I like this truck so much it kills me to think I got one with a gremlin in it.

Anyway, it's nice to have it back. I just hope I keep it for more than a few days this time.

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
Hopefully all your bad luck is over. I have nearly 60K on mine and still running/looking and sounding great! glad to hear there wasn't any damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts