Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the SE Crew 4x4 I picked up Thursday night. These are hard to come by in San Diego - the local dealer (Mossy) had 142 Titan in stock, 11 of them are 4x4. I ordered this truck in December to tow an 8,500 pound boat - See attached pic!

It's got Big Tow, SE Pop with power captian, Off Road, and bed utility, and so far, 112 miles on it.

Anyone have experience towing a heavy load with a Titan?

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
What d oyou mean heavy?

See sig.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DaveS said:
Here is a pic of the SE Crew 4x4 I picked up Thursday night. These are hard to come by in San Diego - the local dealer (Mossy) had 142 Titan in stock, 11 of them are 4x4. I ordered this truck in December to tow an 8,500 pound boat - See attached pic!

It's got Big Tow, SE Pop with power captian, Off Road, and bed utility, and so far, 112 miles on it.

Thanks, Dave
Thanks for the picture. Your Titan helps me see exactly what mine will look like. Can't wait til April.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks great Dave. I love the Titan in white...I have yet to see one in Az.

Now THAT is a boat! You should do just fine...let us know how the first outing goes. Just out of curiosity, what size is the boat and what's your tongue weight?

Karl

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
DaveS,

Welcome! We had checked Mossy for ours as well and if we had not found ours up here, we would have bought from them again (we bought our old Pathy there).

If you see a Grey Titan in the Mission Valley area or up the 15....could be us!

Chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
karlconnell said:
Looks great Dave. I love the Titan in white...I have yet to see one in Az.

Now THAT is a boat! You should do just fine...let us know how the first outing goes. Just out of curiosity, what size is the boat and what's your tongue weight?

Karl
The boat is a 26' Chaparral signature, tongue weight is 800 pounds. I bought it in Pheonix a month ago and towed it to San Diego with my boss's Excursion diesel. I'm curious to see how the Titan does compared to that beast!

- Dave

·
Registered
294 Posts
DaveS said:
The boat is a 26' Chaparral signature, tongue weight is 800 pounds. I bought it in Pheonix a month ago and towed it to San Diego with my boss's Excursion diesel. I'm curious to see how the Titan does compared to that beast!
I thought it looked like it had an AZ plate on the back! I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you are using a weight distributing hitch with that much tongue weight.

That combo will look great going down the road...that's for sure.

Karl

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Dave... Thanks for the pic. The white looks Awesome! We will be pulling a Skeeter Bass boat behind ours so I can't wait to see how it pulls our boat also. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
DaveS,

As far as the towing...definately make sure you get a wieght distributing hitch and also if possible install sway control. At 8500pds that boat may try and play the tail wagging the dog. While the Nissan has a 9500pd towing capacity, your above the 80-85% safety tow rating by 900pds.
Your 800pd hitch wieght won't be a problem as long as the rest of your tow setup is Class IV as well.

Chris

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I don't know if you can use weight distribution with hyd trailer brakes. You might want to consider air bags instead. Now as far as being able to carry the load. you are real close to maxing out the truck if you have an 8500 lbs boat, plus you, your friends and family and gear, you might be over the limit. Also remember the 9500 lbs is a K/C SE with Big tow. your truck will be slightly lower.

Now with all that said, you got the horsepower to do it, just don't plan on to many trips to Lake Mead or beyond and you will be okay.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Derwud said:
I don't know if you can use weight distribution with hyd trailer brakes. You might want to consider air bags instead. Now as far as being able to carry the load. you are real close to maxing out the truck if you have an 8500 lbs boat, plus you, your friends and family and gear, you might be over the limit. Also remember the 9500 lbs is a K/C SE with Big tow. your truck will be slightly lower.
I think you can use friction style weight distribution setups like Equalizer on trailers with surge brakes...at least it says you can in the install instructions on mine. However, I'm not sure if Dave's trailer comes with surge or electric on that large of a boat.

Another thing I would recommend (which I am also getting in the next month) is a set of LT rated tires. I am looking at the Goodyear AT/S in 275/65-18 load range E or the BFG TA/ko in 285/65-18 load range D (really the only mfr's making comparable sizes for 18" rims in LT).

Karl

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought the Silver because it was available for my impulse buy. After seeing all the colors the only one that I would not like to own would be the copper one. Briar's Red is awesome, the Smoke is great, Galaxy is a killer, White is super clean, DeepWater is different... Nissan really nailed the color choices on this.

TB

·
Registered
56 Posts
DaveS said:

Thanks, Dave
Quick question. Is the extendable mirror heated on the Big Tow as it is in the SE with out the big tow??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hector313 said:
Quick question. Is the extendable mirror heated on the Big Tow as it is in the SE with out the big tow??
Yes it is...

·
Registered
56 Posts
karlconnell said:
Yes it is...
Thank goodness!! We have a lot of high humidity mornings around here and it seems that my mirrors are always mist covered. The heat option is a must. Thanks again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Mine should be just like yours. Found out it is about 2 days from delivery!! Please let us know how the towing goes. I am in northern NM and do go to Lake Powell area sometimes. Very interested on how the truck does towing in the extreme heat. Beautiful truck and boat!!:clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts