Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share this for those who are considering installing a backup camera in their tailgate. I even snapped some pictures of the Reverse Light signal wire in the cabin.

The most difficult decision for me was where to route the wire through the tailgate, so that it would be protected in almost any situation. For this I decided to route the wire through the tailgate pivot mount.

Plastic bushing, this will require a hole:

Drill the hole for where the wire will enter the tailgate. Again I chose the most protected area, behind the corner braces for the tailgate mount.

Use a stepped drill bit to make the drilling process quick and easy.

Drill hole through the plastic bushing.

Use vinyl tubing to protect the camera wire through the drilled points.

Split the vinyl tube to get the camera wire into the tube.

For locating the camera, I wanted the highest point possible that was as close to invisible/stock looking as possible. For this I choose right under the tailgate release handle.

Drill the camera hole to fish wires through the tailgate.

Temporarily tape the camera to the tailgate handle, so that it doesn't flop around while you're finishing the install.

Fish the camera wire through the tailgate.

Pull camera wire through the tailgate.

I didn't actually use the green line to pull the camera wire through the openings, but this is the path it will take. At this point you will require some help to hold the tailgate as you route the wire through the mount points.

Pic of wire routed through the mount points with the vinyl tube protecting it.

Run some flex loom to protect the wire to the cab.

Route the wire through the existing rubber grommet hole located just behind the rear driver's side seat.

The finished product! I think it looks pretty stock.

Here is the Green/white reverse signal wite to run to your head unit, or you could also use it as a power wire depending on what camera you choose. This is located just behind the driver's side kick panel. Easier than running a signal wire from the rear of the truck back to the cabin.

FOV Shot

·
Registered
908 Posts
Very clean install! One of the best Ive seen and I been around a while. What camera did you use?? I haave a Kenwood setup that works pretty well. Thanks for documenting.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Any shots of your display while in reverse to see the FOV from up high? Awesome install and write-up!

Chris C.
2010 Titan SE
MDE250 + MSE300 In.The.Works

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! It's the pioneer camera ND-BC5, it has excellent image quality in bright and low light conditions. Plus the mount that it comes with makes it easy to mount upside down, and automatically has the image inverted correctly.

Very clean install! One of the best Ive seen and I been around a while. What camera did you use?? I haave a Kenwood setup that works pretty well. Thanks for documenting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet, but I will take one soon and post it here. I haven't actually bothered to play with angle very much, it was pretty close first time I tried it. Although I need to through my tow mount on, and see what it looks like when backing up to the trailer.

Any shots of your display while in reverse to see the FOV from up high? Awesome install and write-up!

Chris C.
2010 Titan SE

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Great job on the install, nice and neat.

·
Registered
908 Posts
FOV is much better than mine. My camera is mounted above my hitch receiver. I may go your route. TThanks

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Wow that looks a TON better than any I have seen!

What head unit is that?

Chris C.
2010 Titan SE

·
Registered
314 Posts
looks darn good! Wish this thread would have been up 2 months ago when i put my camera in. Damn.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just wanted to share this for those who are considering installing a backup camera in their tailgate. I even snapped some pictures of the Reverse Light signal wire in the cabin.

The most difficult decision for me was where to route the wire through the tailgate, so that it would be protected in almost any situation. For this I decided to route the wire through the tailgate pivot mount.

Plastic bushing, this will require a hole:

Drill the hole for where the wire will enter the tailgate. Again I chose the most protected area, behind the corner braces for the tailgate mount.

Use a stepped drill bit to make the drilling process quick and easy.

Drill hole through the plastic bushing.

Use vinyl tubing to protect the camera wire through the drilled points.

Split the vinyl tube to get the camera wire into the tube.

For locating the camera, I wanted the highest point possible that was as close to invisible/stock looking as possible. For this I choose right under the tailgate release handle.

Drill the camera hole to fish wires through the tailgate.

Temporarily tape the camera to the tailgate handle, so that it doesn't flop around while you're finishing the install.

Fish the camera wire through the tailgate.

Pull camera wire through the tailgate.

I didn't actually use the green line to pull the camera wire through the openings, but this is the path it will take. At this point you will require some help to hold the tailgate as you route the wire through the mount points.

Pic of wire routed through the mount points with the vinyl tube protecting it.

Run some flex loom to protect the wire to the cab.

Route the wire through the existing rubber grommet hole located just behind the rear driver's side seat.

The finished product! I think it looks pretty stock.

Here is the Green/white reverse signal wite to run to your head unit, or you could also use it as a power wire depending on what camera you choose. This is located just behind the driver's side kick panel. Easier than running a signal wire from the rear of the truck back to the cabin.

FOV Shot
Nice job on the camera. I was scratching my head about what camera to use and how to run the wires. I have a few questions about your install if you do not mind.
Did you use your reverse lights for power for the camera?

How did you anchor the camera to the tailgate?

Is there a single A?V wire that plugs into your monitor?

Thank you. And truly a great job. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[Shogunles;2928942]Nice job on the camera. I was scratching my head about what camera to use and how to run the wires. I have a few questions about your install if you do not mind.
Did you use your reverse lights for power for the camera? No, I did not. I ran ACC switched power straight to the camera's transformer. I only used the reverse light signal to tell the headunit to switch to backup camera mode.

How did you anchor the camera to the tailgate? The camera came with a 3M double sided automotive tape, which is what I used. You can also use screws, but that is really overkill.

Is there a single A?V wire that plugs into your monitor? Yes, it's just a single AV wire that plugs into the back of the headunit.

Thank you. And truly a great job. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks! Most Welcome.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts