Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder if I could use the same install but utilize the facory screen in my 2007 LE? I assume its the same screen as the armada and that has a backup camera.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Very nicely done! Best I've found yet! 'scribed for another future cash purge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks like a job well done! Mine is more "rigged". I tried ordering a license plate bar mounted camera. The first two did not work, so I opted for another brand and they sent me one for mounting high up on the back of an RV! It was a weekend, so before sending it back, I just hooked it up (temporarily) and loved the picture quality so much, I installed it for real. I had to fabricate a bracket that mounts behind the license plate - I guess I'm not imaginative enough to put it in the tailgate. I have a small TV and an on/off switch on the dash. I only turn it off at night. The best part is hooking up to a trailer... the hitch ball is right at the bottom of the screen! It still is useful when the tailgate is down.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
[Shogunles;2928942]Nice job on the camera. I was scratching my head about what camera to use and how to run the wires. I have a few questions about your install if you do not mind.
Did you use your reverse lights for power for the camera? No, I did not. I ran ACC switched power straight to the camera's transformer. I only used the reverse light signal to tell the headunit to switch to backup camera mode.

How did you anchor the camera to the tailgate? The camera came with a 3M double sided automotive tape, which is what I used. You can also use screws, but that is really overkill.

Is there a single A?V wire that plugs into your monitor? Yes, it's just a single AV wire that plugs into the back of the headunit.

Thank you. And truly a great job. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks! Most Welcome.
So you need to tap the reverse wire in order for the head unit to automatically turn on when you shift into reverse?

I understand that you run ACC switched power to the transformer. Where do you run the reverse wire to?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
[Shogunles;2928942]Nice job on the camera. I was scratching my head about what camera to use and how to run the wires. I have a few questions about your install if you do not mind.
Did you use your reverse lights for power for the camera? No, I did not. I ran ACC switched power straight to the camera's transformer. I only used the reverse light signal to tell the headunit to switch to backup camera mode.

How did you anchor the camera to the tailgate? The camera came with a 3M double sided automotive tape, which is what I used. You can also use screws, but that is really overkill.

Is there a single A?V wire that plugs into your monitor? Yes, it's just a single AV wire that plugs into the back of the headunit.

Thanks! Most Welcome.
I should have reviewed the install instructions of the Pioneer Camera that you had used before asking my questions. So this is ammended.

So I am clear, RCA to Head Unit, Black to ground.
And Red to Reverse wire in cab?
Do I have it right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I should have reviewed the install instructions of the Pioneer Camera that you had used before asking my questions. So this is ammended.

So I am clear, RCA to Head Unit, Black to ground.
And Red to Reverse wire in cab?
Do I have it right?
RCA to HU, Yes.
Black to ground, Yes.
Red, can be hooked to the reverse wire as a power source, but I hooked mine to a different ACC switched power source. I may have used the HU's power source. On the HU itself, there is a camera signal wire that absolutely needs to be hooked to the reverse wire in the cab. Otherwise the HU won't know the truck is in reverse, and it won't automatically switch to the backup camera display. If it's easier for you, just hook both the red camera wire, and camera signal wire from the HU to the reverse signal wire in the pics above.

Also, in the HU settings you need to make sure you switch the Backup Camera Polarity setting to Battery (this is not set by default). This tells the HU to detect the power signal from the reverse wire, and automatically show the backup camera.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
RCA to HU, Yes.
Black to ground, Yes.
Red, can be hooked to the reverse wire as a power source, but I hooked mine to a different ACC switched power source. I may have used the HU's power source. On the HU itself, there is a camera signal wire that absolutely needs to be hooked to the reverse wire in the cab. Otherwise the HU won't know the truck is in reverse, and it won't automatically switch to the backup camera display. If it's easier for you, just hook both the red camera wire, and camera signal wire from the HU to the reverse signal wire in the pics above.

Also, in the HU settings you need to make sure you switch the Backup Camera Polarity setting to Battery (this is not set by default). This tells the HU to detect the power signal from the reverse wire, and automatically show the backup camera.
OK Got it. Thank you for your time and pictures. I had the head unot installed by the dealers' subcontractor. I would just assume that the wire from the head unit is wired to the reverse wire. Though I will find out when I pull it out. If I do need to wire the head unot to the reverse wire, it is the Green/White Wire you displayed in your pictures, correct? Which is located under the dash left of the Parking Brake PAd, Correct?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OK Got it. Thank you for your time and pictures. I had the head unot installed by the dealers' subcontractor. I would just assume that the wire from the head unit is wired to the reverse wire. Though I will find out when I pull it out. If I do need to wire the head unot to the reverse wire, it is the Green/White Wire you displayed in your pictures, correct? Which is located under the dash left of the Parking Brake PAd, Correct?
Yes the Green/White wire under the drivers side dash.

·
Registered
783 Posts
what size holes did you make for the vinyl tube?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There is a grommet behind the rear seats on either side. On the bottom outside corner on either the driver or passenger sides. I ran mine through the passenger because it was closer to my HU. Then just run it under the carpet to the rear and the front sills and behind the kick plate and up to the HU. If you look behind the rear of the cab at the bottom corners you will see the grommets. They are pretty big to miss. Good Luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: 2012Titian

·
Registered
141 Posts
Awesome install! I am curious however, my T doesn't have the monitor factory installed. I will prob go the rear view mirror option, but if I don't, where would a good spot be to mount the monitor? I would like to put it in one of the flip down compartments to keep it hidden if that was a viable solution? I wish there was a way that I could go the route of the rear view mirror with out loosing the functions in my stock mirror!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The "monitor" is built into the Pioneer head unit. Leave the mirror, replace the head unit.

Awesome install! I am curious however, my T doesn't have the monitor factory installed. I will prob go the rear view mirror option, but if I don't, where would a good spot be to mount the monitor? I would like to put it in one of the flip down compartments to keep it hidden if that was a viable solution? I wish there was a way that I could go the route of the rear view mirror with out loosing the functions in my stock mirror!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Great install. The only mod I'd think about making is using a waterproof connector down in the corner or just under the bed to allow removal of the tailgate. Maybe a Deutsch connector and solder the wires. I'm going to do the install soon and will post what I do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did my install and then I noticed my bumper rusting again because of the step pads. I made the appointment and after telling the dealership about the wire, they pulled the tailgate, and pinched the wire in the hinge. Because of that I now what the inerts are. The pioneer camera has 3 18 or 20 gauge wires and they are shielded by the ground wire. I just connected the wires and wrapped the connection with a piece of foil. It works that way for now, so in thinking that a connector is probably out.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Great install. The only mod I'd think about making is using a waterproof connector down in the corner or just under the bed to allow removal of the tailgate. Maybe a Deutsch connector and solder the wires. I'm going to do the install soon and will post what I do.
I was going to try and work that in, but I don't think the cable was long enough to have the connection near the tailgate

Also I don't ever plan on removing my tailgate.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I did my install and then I noticed my bumper rusting again because of the step pads. I made the appointment and after telling the dealership about the wire, they pulled the tailgate, and pinched the wire in the hinge. Because of that I now what the inerts are. The pioneer camera has 3 18 or 20 gauge wires and they are shielded by the ground wire. I just connected the wires and wrapped the connection with a piece of foil. It works that way for now, so in thinking that a connector is probably out.

Do you have the ND-BC5? The 6 has 3 small wires (20-24) and then a ground wire beside it. Will be easier to add connector. I purchased 2 types and will see which one will work better.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts