Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across an outward-protruding dent on their tailgate? The dent is about mid-height on the tailgate near the passenger tail light.

The tailgate operates just fine and there's no noticeable rattle. Could a frame/bracing member inside of the tailgate have caused this? I recently hauled some wheels/tires that probably rolled against the interior side of the tailgate.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 2006 Nissan Titan SE (sold)
190 Posts
Did you buy the truck new? Is it possible that the previous owner removed a decal?

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,427 Posts
I'd say that tire did more than roll against the tailgate. It knocked the hell out of it...

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truck is new and this dent for certain showed up within the last week or so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember feeling a little bump from them rolling around, but nothing to the extent of "oh sh** that had to have done something"

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Yeah - looks like one of the tires rolled hard enough to flex the internal structure of the tailgate and give you a ding on the outside. Hate that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out a small piece of gravel had fallen inside the tailgate and was wedged between the internal frame and the outer-shell. It didn't take much of a bump from inside the bed to ping the dent..

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Ouch! Maybe one of those paintless places can resolve it on the cheap?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lower your tailgate and let everyone see the other side if you have the tailgate cover on that goes with your Berliner remove it and let's see what it looks like. There is more to this story than your telling us.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lower your tailgate and let everyone see the other side if you have the tailgate cover on that goes with your Berliner remove it and let's see what it looks like. There is more to this story than your telling us.
There is no damage to the tailgate other than the rock that got stuck between the internal cross bar and the outer shell of the tailgate. Pop open the access plate on the inside of the tailgate and you can see that Nissan isolated the crossbar from the outer shell with black adhesive foam. This creates a gap above the foam where a small stone became wedged; even a light bump from either side of the tailgate will pinch the rock between the metal rather than dispersing the load across the bar/foam assembly. This mystery is solved, off to the body shop.

·
Premium Member
...08 Pro4X...
70,427 Posts
Turns out a small piece of gravel had fallen inside the tailgate and was wedged between the internal frame and the outer-shell. It didn't take much of a bump from inside the bed to ping the dent..
Damn. Sounds like my luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts