Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pull into the driveway and there's a small puddle of antifreeze under the truck. Crap. I start it up to rev the engine and sure enough, it starts dripping out pretty quick from the bottom.

43k miles, transmission coolant line bursts, 44k miles radiator cracks...great. At least I was able to get the truck home this time.

The point of this thread isn't really to start a rant about the radiator, but to share what I found out.

I want to get a new one fairly quickly and none of the local auto stores have them in stock and I REFUSE to go buy one from the dealership.

Walleeme recommended I hit up radiator.com and the service so far has been great. As soon as I mentioned the vehicle, the guy on the phone said, "Uh oh, those things blow through the radiators like crazy."

Evidently, he said they won't even sell most of the brands anymore because they just don't hold up, there is only one that they'll sell now. The good thing is that because they have local distributors around the country, they'll have it delivered to my house by 10 AM tomorrow morning at no extra charge AND there is a lifetime warranty on it. All for $265 after tax.

He stressed that I keep the receipt so I don't have a problem swapping it under warranty when it blows out again in another 40k miles. I told him, "thanks for the vote of confidence" :lol:

Anyway, like I said, just wanted to recommend them and I'll keep this thread updated as the process continues...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/83895-radiator-removal-lots-pics-step-step.html

Thank God for the Titan community on here...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
saw this on ur fb bro....that sux sorry to hear.....good to know u can get one so fast and cheap....good luck on the fix

·
Super Moderator
35,614 Posts
So I pull into the driveway and there's a small puddle of antifreeze under the truck. Crap. I start it up to rev the engine and sure enough, it starts dripping out pretty quick from the bottom.

43k miles, transmission coolant line bursts, 44k miles radiator cracks...great. At least I was able to get the truck home this time.

The point of this thread isn't really to start a rant about the radiator, but to share what I found out.

I want to get a new one fairly quickly and none of the local auto stores have them in stock and I REFUSE to go buy one from the dealership.

Walleeme recommended I hit up radiator.com and the service so far has been great. As soon as I mentioned the vehicle, the guy on the phone said, "Uh oh, those things blow through the radiators like crazy."

Evidently, he said they won't even sell most of the brands anymore because they just don't hold up, there is only one that they'll sell now. The good thing is that because they have local distributors around the country, they'll have it delivered to my house by 10 AM tomorrow morning at no extra charge AND there is a lifetime warranty on it. All for $265 after tax.

He stressed that I keep the receipt so I don't have a problem swapping it under warranty when it blows out again in another 40k miles. I told him, "thanks for the vote of confidence" :lol:

Anyway, like I said, just wanted to recommend them and I'll keep this thread updated as the process continues...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/83895-radiator-removal-lots-pics-step-step.html

Thank God for the Titan community on here...
Be sure and tell us how the R&R goes. . .

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be sure and tell us how the R&R goes. . .
Will do, I'll post the brand on here as well seeing as it's the only one that they said is holding up. I just forgot what it was off the top of my head. He said they stopped selling all the brands because they were just replacing them too quickly at the rate they blow with their lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Glad you found a great deal. Good luck with the install!

If it makes you feel any better, I had 2 failed radiators at 55k miles. On my 3rd one now.

·
Registered
496 Posts
That sucks man, hopefully that's the last of your issues. $265 seems pretty dang cheap for a radiator with a lifetime warranty, should be a pretty easy diy though. Good luck with the install.

Reactions: bills1974

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I'm curious what brand you bought. I'm on my second stock radiator. I was under warranty at the time but I'm out and now and definitely won't be buying another stock one is something were to happen.

·
Premium Member
15,659 Posts
the change out isnt to bad, as long as you have a good set of basic tools. A 10mm ratchet box end wrench will make your life a ton easier taking off the rad fan. Also replace the hose clamps with crew type, you can thank me after your done.

The trans cooler comes out with the rad, so be careful with the hoses.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Sorry to hear about the radiator going.

I put in the Stillen radiator and it slipped right in.

Highly recommend pulling off the front grill when you do it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Mine blew out too, at 100k almost on the dot too. If its not too bad of a leak throw some stop leak in it for the time being until you can get an all aluminum installed, stop leak worked for me just fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just replaced mine today at 75k miles. Just bought the truck so I don't know if it was replaced prior to that, however the radiator I took out was factory. R&R is straight forward, Im sure you will do just fine.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The OEM Radiators, made of mostly plastic w/ metal radiator cores, have a HIGH failure rate... like a lot of other repetative OEM problem parts... went through two prior warranted radiator replacements as well, roughly 30k on each before they exploded out the bottom exit radiator connector... the only good thing that came out of the two failures was that I got free coolant drain and fills out of them. ;) I have already decided since I have no more warranty coverage, I will be buying a full metal radiator after the current one decides to blow as well...

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I think if mine goes again it's gonna get a custom mounted Ron Davis. I can probably do that cheaper than buying the bolt in Stillen.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
That definitely sucks... Good luck w/ the install.
Just a thought, after you're done, check the tranny fluid real good and make sure that no coolant got in there.
Is the replacement an all aluminum radiator or aluminum/plastic?

Reactions: bills1974

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a thought, after you're done, check the tranny fluid real good and make sure that no coolant got in there.
I just bought the aluminum/plastic one. The only one that I know of that's all aluminum is the Stillen and I can't wait for it. Like I said, the benefit I saw from buying from radiator.com is that I had it sitting on my front porch this morning and they provide a lifetime warranty on it.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You want to come up on Saturday and watch me? :lol:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL...
If you need a hand, I'll be glad to help. Just give a shout.
Thanks man, I don't need help, but if you want to come watch for when you have to replace yours you can :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts