Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off...I am not a great writer nor a good photographer...so some imagination might be required. I'll add pictures as attachments so the thread is easier to read.

I found the ~$4000 extra for a Navigation system in our trucks to be a bit expensive for what I need. So I figured I would spend about $350 and make my own. I am swapping this out in a 2011 PRO4X with the RF and 6 CD changer.

On the older models the new radio faceplate had to be cut in order to fit the new nav bezel, but the newer ones do not require this.

First you will need to purchase the correct color Nav bezel(~$200). You will also need a 7 inch GPS of your choosing. (although it seems there is only the Magellan 1700/9055 and some Nextar one available). This will run about $100-200 off amazon.

Step 1- Set E-brake so that you can put the shifter into N to make removal of pieces easier.
Remove the drivers side dash pieces under the steering wheel by removing the two screws at the bottom and wiggling the piece straight towards you. Easy on the door weather stripping. No need to remove the switches, just let it hang out of the way.
Now remove the glove box by removing the 6 black screws. This pieces pulls straight back also.
Remove the middle console trim piece by pulling straight up.
Unscrew the shifter knob along with the shifter bezel by pulling straight up. The small black piece inside the storage compartment (where you can see the two switches in my pics) might need to be removed to get the shifter to come out easily.

Attachments

Reactions: kdo2milger

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 2- Remove the radio faceplate by pulling it straight back towards you. I work the bottom first the work my fingers up the side until it comes off.
Disconnect the wiring from the faceplate. Note- the highest wires covered in foam disconnect further back, not at the faceplate. Be careful not to scratch the faceplate on the shifter. Don't even lean it against it because our trucks are made of plastic that gets scratched by dust particles.

Unhook all buttons along the bottom. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pry the clips. I found it easiest to work right to left and unclip the bottom side first then work the top while pushing the button in.
The two power points unhook on the bottom side of the clip. These will get transferred to the new bezel later along with the 4wd selector.

The hazard button is permanently connected to the bezel, just unhook the wiring harness.

Attachments

Reactions: kdo2milger

·
Registered
175 Posts
where did you get the bezel from i want to try this with an android tablet

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 3- Pull the bezel straight back. You can get a good grip right next to the air vents and use your other hand to pull at the edge along the top of the dash. The bezel comes straight back towards you.

ONLY PULL THE BEZEL A FEW INCHES....you have to unhook the middle speaker wiring before removing all the way. The switch depress at the top and pulls out. There isnt much room to do this.

Once unhooked, your bezel should be free and you can move on to wiring and installing the GPS into your new bezel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Step 4- Mounting GPS to nav ready bezel. I feel like my mounting procedure is slightly bubba style...but it works...and no one can see it - except everyone on here.

Take off the speaker by removing the 4 screws on each corner. Make sure and remember which way it was mounted or else the wiring harness will not reach.

I used a 9055 which requires a little trimming at the top of the bezel to get the screen to center correctly. The Magellan 1700 is slight smaller and should mount without any problems. Some have talked about using the new portable tablets, which I have no idea on those dimensions.

I used a cheap plastic organizer basket from walmart for the brace. I cut a section from the bottom that had part of the base for support. I notched an area for the speaker also. I used double sided foam tape to stick the GPS to the support brace.

I used two screws to hold the bracing at the ends. At first I had spacers underneath so the brace wouldn't bow out, but this stopped those two clips from inserting into the dash completely. It only took me about 2 hours to figure this out while I was trying to jam the new bezel back into place.

I used tape to temporarily mount the GPS to center it properly, but I left it there for extra support...especially at the top.

I had some freezing problems with the first GPS unit I had so I had to remove everything to reset it. I solved this by drilling a small 45* hole on top in the seam where I can insert the small wire tool I made and slide the power/reset button over. The hold is exactly 3" from where the seam starts on the right side of the bezel. You can't see the hold unless you look at the bezel from above.

I'm sure there are better ways to mount this, but this works for me. The mount the GPS comes with is too large and awkward to mount in any way. I was in a hurry to get this done because I was leaving the next day for a trip. So I left it like this and feel no need to change it now since it works so well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Step 5- Wiring.

This is a simple process. Use an "add-a-fuse" from your local auto store and use the "switched" fuse for your passenger side power point. It is the 20 amp yellow fused one in the picture. The other is for a backup camera.

I used a relay and a switch to control if I wanted the GPS on or not. I like that I can turn it off whenever I want. If anyone wants that wiring diagram let me know.

(The factory GPS power cord has a resistor to drop the power to a small amperage...so you can't just cut and splice the cord.)

Run the wire to a cig lighter/power point that you can buy from the auto parts store. You can ground it on the glove box support bracing.

I ran out of black electrical tape, so I had to use yellow. I covered the cig lighter in tape and zip tied it up out of the way. I also taped the power cord for the GPS to the cig lighter so it woulnd't vibrate loose.

Run the power cord up through the dash...up onto the cd changer box.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step 6- If you have done everything correctly you should be able to plug in your gps and reinstall the bezel fairly easily. You can see in the first picture that the power cord and back up camera input are extremely tight against the top of the cd changer. You will need a 90* AV cord for a backup camera and it might still require a little trimming on the rubber part of the cord.

Careful with the clips on the bezel because they smash easily.

YOU REMEMBERED TO REATTACH THE CENTER SPEAKER WIRE RIGHT????

Before putting everything back, make sure and check to make sure everything works.

WARNING- turning on your truck without the radio faceplate installed will cause your airbag light to flash. This is easily reset following the "air bag reset" thread. Takes about 2 minutes. Ive already typed too much to go find it for you...so you will have to use the search tool.

I also left the backup camera cord accessible through the glovebox so I can hook up my ipod and watch the video on the GPS screen. Back up camera install is another thread.

Hopefully I covered pretty much everything, but if you have any questions, let me know.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where did you get the bezel from i want to try this with an android tablet
I bought mine from Scott at Fontana Nissan. Best price by far. You can find him here on the forum. They were somewhat hard to find right before christmas. I don't know if any online stores have them yet.

Sean

·
Registered
175 Posts
i just noticed the new magellan had bluetooth i have removed my factory radio and was wondering if the bluetooth on the magellan was ok or if youve even tried it. also is the speaker still able to be heard with it installed in the dash?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't really tried the bluetooth. I though I could pair my phone with my truck and the gps so I could see who was calling, then just answer through my truck. But I could only pair one device...so I stuck with my truck's system. I believe the microphone for the gps is on the front on the black edge surrounding the screen. This is covered up by the bezel now - so I'm not sure about how well it would hear your voice.

If you don't want traffic updates or the bluetooth...you might as well get the 1700 instead of the 9055. Its cheaper and a little smaller/easier to install. The maps are different brands, but I don't know the difference or which one is supposedly better.

The speaker sounds fine. I can't tell any difference in sound level or clarity with it out or installed in the dash. The speaker actually gets pretty loud- You can hear it over the radio.
I actually had to turn it down to about halfway.

Sean

·
Registered
175 Posts
Heres some shots with a tablet in place temp. Youd need to offset to allow for hard return/home buttons.
thats great, i have a few questions first is what brand/model is it that youre using, does it have gps for use with google maps, and have you found out whether you can turn it on and off with it installed in the dash? those are my three main concerns

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that tablet looks sick. I may go this route someday since you can store music and whatnot on it. Too bad you can't make it removable.

The only problem I would have is that when you would probably need the GPS the most...you probably wouldn't have cell phone/internet coverage in that spot either so the tablet's gps would be worthless. Otherwise it looks awesome.

Reactions: B~Rad

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not sure. Call Scott at Fontana Nissan and he can get you one or at least a part number. That is where I got mine and he knows how to look it up correctly.

If you call a dealer, they will ask for your VIN...you can explain all you want about how your truck didn't come with the nav so there won't be the correct part number...but you will get nowhere.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
What is Nissans part number for the navigation bezel?
Console trim with Nav bezel 08- Tan 68257-ZR20A
Console trim with Nav bezel 08- Charcoal/black 68257-ZR20B
Console trim with Nav bezel 04-07 68257-7S500

·
Registered
693 Posts
How did you get enough grip on the bottom of the radio faceplate to get it started? My 06 had 2 screws under there if I remember correctly, and it was super easy...my 08 has nothing. I'm concerned about using a screwdriver and denting our wonderful foamy plastic.
Can't get mine to budge, but I'm using the mangina level of force right now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts