Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Titan on order and am considering adding the nav system but I can't help think that a Garmin mobile unit, I think they call it a "Street Pilot" would be better. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the system that comes with the truck and you could take it with you on trips and use in rental cars etc. Has anybody used both and can provide some thoughts on this. I think the nav package is $2200? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The street pilot is a very nice GPS, but you may want to consider the Garmin Ique as well. It can be purchased for considerable less than a street pilot, and has all the same features, plus it is a palm OS PDA as well. It is cheaper due to the fact that nobody would pay $700 for a Palm PDA even if it was a full function navigation system. Another bonus of the Ique is the fact it comes with Garmins mapping software, which if im not mistaken, you have to purchase seperately with a street pilot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a street pilot III. It does not give you the street level maps like the nav but thats not an issue for me. Garmin has a new one out, a 2260 (I think) that has been getting good reviews. Personally I would not splurge for nav as a Garmin or other unit can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle. Also you can lay out your routes and stuff on the computer at home and load them to the GPS. Nav is cool but a gps has way more benefits. I would recommend looking around the net and read up on gps units.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I to wanted the NAV system, but the price was too high. I also realized that nissan uses a different company than NAVTech for their maps. Looking at the website, they didnt seem as complete.

I purchased the Garmin SP2610 lat week for $734. It is GREAT. I did a lot of research between the Magellan 500 and SP2610. I ultimately went with the SP2610 for the better mounting, and more funtions. Garmin also doesn't have to have the CF cards registered.

The bean bag mount sits on the dash in the little pocket where the NAV system would have been. Rests there nice. It is great, and I have been having fun playing with it these last few days.

Any questions, let me know.

Joe

·
Registered
473 Posts
I looked at all of them and having used a laptop in the truck for years, I have tried the good, bad and ugly!

IMHO, Garmen picked the most horrid colors. They are hard to see day or night. You have to look to figure out the map. Instead I looked at the Magellen. In trials, the colors are easy to see, and the software is the same that is in the Nissan.

I purchased the 500, it uses Compact Flash for the maps, and fits perfectly with "Velcro" in the center console. The primary difference between 500 & 800 is the 800 has a hard drive, and all the maps built in. (They have not disclosed how to upgrade the maps on this unit)

The main difference between these handled units and the built in unit:

1. The built in has gyroscopes in the dash and accesses the speed sensor to compensate for times where you have poor GPS reception.

2. Hand held units all have a smaller screen. The larger screen on the built in units are much better for telling what is ahead.

3. You cannot take a built in gps with you on a trip.

4. 2200 vs 600 big price difference.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Doghouse - Great points..

Its not really $2200 just for the Nav stuff right? That includes the other things like the DVD Player etc in the Nav Pkg if I recall correctly. But hey, thats a LE thing.....LOL :jester:

I personally have not had much need for anything above my lil $300 handheld Garmin that we take out when we go to the desert. And I only use that to make sure I get back to base :teethmast

Chris

·
Registered
382 Posts
joeandmaria said:
I to wanted the NAV system, but the price was too high. I also realized that nissan uses a different company than NAVTech for their maps. Looking at the website, they didnt seem as complete.

I purchased the Garmin SP2610 lat week for $734. It is GREAT. I did a lot of research between the Magellan 500 and SP2610. I ultimately went with the SP2610 for the better mounting, and more funtions. Garmin also doesn't have to have the CF cards registered.

The bean bag mount sits on the dash in the little pocket where the NAV system would have been. Rests there nice. It is great, and I have been having fun playing with it these last few days.

Any questions, let me know.

Joe

Hey you have any pics of the 2610 in your titan, id love to see its size in that space left from the missing nav?

·
Registered
59 Posts
tikigod said:
Hey you have any pics of the 2610 in your titan, id love to see its size in that space left from the missing nav?
I jsut finished making another mount. The package comes with a spare mount and the bean bag. I used the rubber instert from the dash to trace on a thin piece of plywood. I then cut it out and spray painted it black. I then used the permanent adhesive pad to stick it to the plywood. I then just toss the unit in the dash console. I don't like the idea of leaving it there all the time due to theft. I will keep the bean bag mount for my wife's car (it really sticks to the dash well.) Below are both pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
joeandmaria said:
I jsut finished making another mount. The package comes with a spare mount and the bean bag. I used the rubber instert from the dash to trace on a thin piece of plywood. I then cut it out and spray painted it black. I then used the permanent adhesive pad to stick it to the plywood. I then just toss the unit in the dash console. I don't like the idea of leaving it there all the time due to theft. I will keep the bean bag mount for my wife's car (it really sticks to the dash well.) Below are both pics.

Thx those are great. Im definatly going with your setup, which btw is a nice one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like your idea of attaching the GPS to a piece of plywood. Does the GPS move around much? Did you attach the plywood to the dash any? I have a Garmin 295 that I use when flying that I want to use in the Titan.

Thanks
joeandmaria said:
I used the rubber instert from the dash to trace on a thin piece of plywood. I then cut it out and spray painted it black. I then used the permanent adhesive pad to stick it to the plywood. I then just toss the unit in the dash console.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the Magellan 500 and also use velcro as suggested by somebody on this boad.

I love the velcro it holds well. All previous attempts to mount the unit on glass or plastic surfaces failed due to the way I drive sometimes. Got tired of "catching it" as it flew off the dash. :jester:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone remember when having a single CD player in your vehicle was :eyebrow: ???

My opinion, Navigation Systems tend to be outdated within 3 years, the DVD updates are not cheap or always worth the money.

All of the stored information is very dynamic. A few new roads and exits and you're :crying:

I don't think manufactures will provide updates for 6 or 7 year old factory systems with obsolete hardware. You can't update them over the internet/computer like a portable system.

If you only keep vehicles a few years and have the money, go for it.

Portable systems are easier to keep updated, cheaper, and will see better support long term. But they don't currently offer the physical benefits of a factory system. 5 years from now I don't want to be looking at an obsolete $2000 screen. Navigation systems have come a long way and they will continue to change.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
AKHUNT/FISH said:
I have a Titan on order and am considering adding the nav system but I can't help think that a Garmin mobile unit, I think they call it a "Street Pilot" would be better. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the system that comes with the truck and you could take it with you on trips and use in rental cars etc. Has anybody used both and can provide some thoughts on this. I think the nav package is $2200? Thanks.
I have the OEM NAV and I like it. One feature you may not get with a little portable GPS is the guide voice integrated with the stereo. That is a small thing for the big price difference, however. That being said, there are a couple of nice features that high-end after market NAV systems have that Nissan's lacks: touch screen and ability to play other video sources on NAV screen (e.g. DVD and rear view camera). Also, it would be nice to have one with a computer interface. I agree that the price for the Nissan NAV is high for what you get. For the same money, you can buy a laptop and a GPS.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
zpylot said:
I like your idea of attaching the GPS to a piece of plywood. Does the GPS move around much? Did you attach the plywood to the dash any? I have a Garmin 295 that I use when flying that I want to use in the Titan.

Thanks

Let me know if you do this. I use a Garmin 196 to fly with and have thought about using it in the truck. I disliked the idea of permanently mounting it or using the bean bag set up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone know how much the updates from Nissan are and when they are available?

Bluto said:
My opinion, Navigation Systems tend to be outdated within 3 years, the DVD updates are not cheap or always worth the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Guy's I am new here and you all look like a great bunch of guy's with GREAT trucks. Just got mine on Saturday. Does any one know if you can
play the dvd player through an after market gps for front viewing?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nav system vs. Garmin

I was looking long and hard at getting the Garmin IQ instead of spending the 2k on the nav system. Due to all I wanted though, I would have had to custom order a truck. So I bit the bullet and got it. I am glad I did as it works better then the portable units. I have finally started to see the IQ3600 in stores. And how freaking clunky can you get. The screen is too small to see while driving, you have a ton of wires to mess with, and the bean bag setup is a big clutz. Plus step out of the car and some jackass will break in to get it. And how many times are you unexpectably lost, what do you do then, pull all the wires out and start setting it up?

On the other hand, if you could get a custom car unit (garmin, just not the IQ), and you often drive more then one car, then I think the hassles are probably worth the 2k per car you may save.

·
Registered
59 Posts
zpylot said:

Thanks
No, it sits firm in the cubby hole, with no other attachment. I just remove the rubber when putting it in, so it sets in farther. If I could just easily figure out a way to conceal the cord!!

Joe

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
ToughTitan said:
Hey Guy's I am new here and you all look like a great bunch of guy's with GREAT trucks. Just got mine on Saturday. Does any one know if you can
play the dvd player through an after market gps for front viewing?
Yes you can, but it is not cheap! Here is what you are looking for. Also has a TV tuner so you can watch TV. I believe ther are som installed pics on the web site as well.

http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm

·
Registered
47 Posts
MD_Canteen_Titan said:
Does anyone know how much the updates from Nissan are and when they are available?
I don't know what Nissan's cost.

Acura's last version was about $200. I think is was 3 years after the system was available. For some people, the update had tons of new roads and Points of Interest in their area. Other people found it a total waste. It updated the firmware, so you could not return it and use the old DVD.

For a 5 year loan, the Navigation adds about $30-$40 per month. It is 1900 invoice. For resale purposes, navigation systems depreciate faster than the vehicle's value. But, hand helds don't hold their value either.

If it works well in your area, you have the $, and you will find it useful, the navigation system is a great feature, it has numerous benefits over hand held versions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts