Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thank you for all the help with your posts. I am going to order my CC LE next week and your input has been very helpful! This may have been addressed, but it is my understanding that the hardware for the Navigational system is under the passengers seat. How do you update the hardware? Is there a chip in it that you download updates from the website? I Do not understand at all how it works, but I would have to believe you have to be able to get the latest updates available to GPS. Please enlighten this newbie and help me if you can. When I test drove one that had it, it only showed one ATM machine that was out in some out of the way area. Does is need to be programmed? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, and thanks to all who have kept this such a positive site. It's appreciated. Hope to post pics....Vman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Vman53 said:
When I test drove one that had it, it only showed one ATM machine that was out in some out of the way area. Does is need to be programmed? Vman

The navigation system can be as cluttered or as clean as you like it. You have the option of turning on or off any of a large number of "point of interest" (POI). I tend to keep all of them turned off, unless I am on a long trip then turn on gas stations only. This way, you are able to more clearly see the street names and turns. You will find that quite often the numbers do not match exactly, and some newer streets do not exist. Magellan is the provider of the data for the software, and it is not completely updated for the entire US every year. So you do not have to replace the DVD every year, but every couple would be a good idea.

I have both a Magellan portable, and the Nissan stock Nav systems, so if you have questions please feel free to ask.

A lot of times you will argue with "baby" as she picks some stupid routes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Doghouse said:
A lot of times you will argue with "baby" as she picks some stupid routes.
I noticed that the system likes to take me in some interesting convoluted directions occassionally but the end result is usually ok.

If the system could read the amount of traffic ahead and change the route based on that, now that would be a Navigation System.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nav system

Doghouse said:
The navigation system can be as cluttered or as clean as you like it. You have the option of turning on or off any of a large number of "point of interest" (POI). I tend to keep all of them turned off, unless I am on a long trip then turn on gas stations only. This way, you are able to more clearly see the street names and turns. You will find that quite often the numbers do not match exactly, and some newer streets do not exist. Magellan is the provider of the data for the software, and it is not completely updated for the entire US every year. So you do not have to replace the DVD every year, but every couple would be a good idea.

I have both a Magellan portable, and the Nissan stock Nav systems, so if you have questions please feel free to ask.

A lot of times you will argue with "baby" as she picks some stupid routes.
Let me ask you this...would you order it out if you were getting a new CC LE? I've heard good things...I just don't want to purchase something that is not up to date or gets outdated in a couple of years. Any input you would have I would appreciate. I guess in my heart I'm going to order it...just maybe looking for that "feel good" that says it's the right thing to do. I sell GPS systems for boats etc....but I guess I just like the built in version versus using velcro to stick to the dash of a 40,000 vehicle...know what I mean? Rather just get it...but I guess I would like to know how good it is? Again, any input you have would be appreciated. Thank you in advance...Vman!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
Vman53 said:
Let me ask you this...would you order it out if you were getting a new CC LE? I've heard good things...I just don't want to purchase something that is not up to date or gets outdated in a couple of years. Any input you would have I would appreciate. I guess in my heart I'm going to order it...just maybe looking for that "feel good" that says it's the right thing to do. I sell GPS systems for boats etc....but I guess I just like the built in version versus using velcro to stick to the dash of a 40,000 vehicle...know what I mean? Rather just get it...but I guess I would like to know how good it is? Again, any input you have would be appreciated. Thank you in advance...Vman!
I just programmed it with all the details my wife and I decided we wanted to do on our trip this week from Chicago to Tampa. I programmed in all the sites we wanted to see, the cities we 'expected' to stay in over night during the drive down and up (not rushing this trip), some places I need to stop and do some shopping and had it show me the whole route while sitting in the garage. I now know the distance, time and shortest routes from point to point.

Could I do this on the computer and print it out, sure but what fun would that be. I would have to take my laptop and printer with me if anything changed during the trip or the whole printed thing would be useless and I would have to redo it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Ok, Here is the difference:

I have to purchase a truck, because I use it as a truck. My interior gets bumped, banged, dinged etc.

If I was the type of person who would purchase and LE model, HE77 YES I would order the nav. system! I can prove that by the fact that it is in my maxima. You do get a lot of options you can control for the interior with the nav system. The heated seats and Wheel are great and my wife loves it on the cold mornings. (Note: I have a max, don't know about heated wheel on titan)

BTW, I use garmin bluecharts and have had Delorme products since 1.0. I find the only thing lacking on the OEM Nav is a touch screen, and the ability to select between male and female voices. (Just cannot see a lady wispering at me from behind the dash :) )

Another nice feature is the lowering of the volume on the radio whenever she speaks.

Hope that helps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
No heated wheel on the Titan. I can live without it but that was one of the things I really wanted.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top