Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search function and read several posts about people installing after market GPS. So in a way that answers my question for people I read about; however, do those of you that have it get much use out of it?

I have never used a GPS system despite the fact that I am somewhat of a geek (Unix, servers, treo, blackberry, etc, etc). Heck, I don't even know if there is a monthly service fee for using OEM navigation.

BTW, just sold my 350z so I can grab a Titan CC while the 07 rebates are hot.

·
Super Moderator
159,630 Posts
I'm not sure if this will answer your question directly but....I have very few regrets about what options I did/didn't put on my truck save one. You got it. The factory nav system. I figured I wouldn't use it so why bother. But the OTHER stuff it's connected to and that it can control would have been well worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My wife has it on her Infiniti. It was fun for a while, but we don't use it much anymore.

As far as a subscription, no. I think she can opt to buy a new DVD from Infiniti every other year, but there is no monthly charge on hers.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i have a DellAxim, (like a palm pilot but much better)

and i have the GPS CF card plug in and i do use is when i travel

but not in my home town

the thing is my home town is where i work...

so if your going to different places then on a regular basis then it may be worth it

although i think the screen would be cool for the stereo face
(larger print)

and it has tire crap on it...
but it isnt something i use much so to answer NO i dont think so

my Dell Axim and the GPS costs my $275 and does it well it is portable i can use it like a laptop run movies on it and play mp3's and such

in short it is very versatile

also the screen is just a good invitation for prople to break in
(as if they needed one anyway)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually almost bought a CF GPS card for my Treo last year and decided against it.

I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I got a Tom Tom for Christmas and at first didn't think I'd use it... now, I couldn't live without it. I drive to several residences a day for work so I suppose I'm a bit of a poster child for who need it... as for the factory one, it seems pretty expensive. If you can live with an aftermarket they're only a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's worth it. When we traded the Titan for an Armada, the only LE on the lot had navi. We had the salesman search the area for one without navi and they finally came down enough in price to make the deal on the one on the lot. The back-up camera alone makes it worthwhile to me, but I also use the nav frequently even around town to look up phone numbers etc. The Nissan price is fairly steep compared to aftermarket options, but it looks great and adds access to features you can't easily reach without it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have it in my 07 and love it. Some of what I like - instant mpg and ave mpg + miles to empty on the tank; service reminders - you set miles you want to be reminded for oil change & tire rotation; radio interface - shows band & song name; need gas, atm, parking - just plug those in it and it directs you there fast and easy; going some place new and forget to bring the address - plug in the phone number and it gives you directions based on the phone number; looking for the best way back on to the freeway in a new area of town - it'll give it to you. I've only had mine a few months, but I find I'm constantly flipping between the screens and finding new stuff. The downsides are cost - it aint cheap and unlike handheld's you can only use it in the Titan. There is no monthly fee.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After considering my needs I am actually looking at portable units now that I can use in different cars and in a boat/camping.

Also, keeps the price down a little since I might hold out for the 2008. I bought my 350Z October 2006 and wouldn't you know the 2007 Z had a much better engine with the same price tag. I know I will lose about $2k worth of rebates but the 20" wheels, bigger rotors, and bluetooth more then make up for it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I absolutely love the OEM nav system and how it's integrated into the sound system so that the music ur listening too only comes out of the rear speakers at a lower level while the voice guidance talks to you. I also love it when ur lookin' for a short cut and you just have to glance over and you know where the streets lead to. I can tell how much I rely on it when I'm driving my mom's Rodeo cuz sometimes traffic suxs or something and I wanna c if there's a way out so I look over cuz it's such a habit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an aftermarket (Magellan) and I love it- in retrospect I wish I had opted for the factory nav- no power cords and windshield mounts cluttering up the console.

The advantage of an aftermarket one though is when I travel and rent a car- I just take the GPS with me- lifesaver in a strange city.

·
Premium Member
73,335 Posts
i bought my girl the Garmin for christmas. She's not great with directions and with a baby I didn't want to have to worry. I've used it a handful of times going places I hadn't been before and it was helpful. I'm generally one for looking at a physical map and plotting my course, but the Garmin has been a nice alternate. It also has MP3 capabilities, marine and walking map downloads. I belive there are limitless possibilities to this once you hook it up and download form the web.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the Navi. in my 05' and use it often when we go on trips camping. It has bailed me out of a few jams when driving with my trailer and I can't turn around.

·
Registered
359 Posts
eatmorchikin said:
I used the search function and read several posts about people installing after market GPS. So in a way that answers my question for people I read about; however, do those of you that have it get much use out of it?

I have never used a GPS system despite the fact that I am somewhat of a geek (Unix, servers, treo, blackberry, etc, etc). Heck, I don't even know if there is a monthly service fee for using OEM navigation.

BTW, just sold my 350z so I can grab a Titan CC while the 07 rebates are hot.
When I bought my truck, it had a dealer installed Eclipse DVD/CD/GPS Navigation system. I really didn't care at the time...I bought it for the off-road package.

But, now I'll never have another vehicle without a nav system. After market is best (with teh Titan). The Eclipse and some other after-market units are superior to the stock unit available in the LE.

I find myself using the system a lot more than expected. It also has the phone number of major businesses, so when you load a destination (such as a restaurant), you get the phone number too.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i love my garmin c340. its been a lifesaver with work and moving to a new city every summer. looking up the nearest gas stations/restaurants/shopping & everything helps too. if you travel a lot, it is a MUST. and yeah, aftermarket is waaay less expensive.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the Clarion N.I.C.E. mounted in the factory navigation housing. I purchased it because not only does it provide voice navigation, but plays mp3's and Sirius satellite. The navigation has come in handy. Especially, when there are traffic jams. I do not think I would buy another car without navigation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do not get the factory GPS, buy a stand alone unit. That way when you go on flights and end up with a rental car you can use the unit.

I love mine. The best part is points of interest. If I'm driving in an unknown area. I can pull up all the restaurants in the area. Then pick out the one I wish to go to and it automatically routes me there. That being said if you never leave your area, it probably isn't the best investment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts