Nissan Titan Forum banner

need advice> faded plastic

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  4mula1fan 
#1 ·
the plastic piece that lies between the windshield and hood is faded and looks terrible. i wondering if spraying a couple of coats of flat black paint is better than color matching it with the truck's paint.

btw, i don't care that one option is extremely cheaper than the other.

#2 ·
albonismo said:
the plastic piece that lies between the windshield and hood is faded and looks terrible. i wondering if spraying a couple of coats of flat black paint is better than color matching it with the truck's paint.

btw, i don't care that one option is extremely cheaper than the other.
Other than some major preparation work, I guess that option is good. A primer and a few coats of clear coat...you may need a flex additive as well.

Try WD40?

#4 ·
Are you sure it is faded and not a white/gray residue that built up? Had that problem on my 240sx where the directional arms looked faded, but could be scraped off. I would also suggest running a fingernail to see if you can scratch the surface. Defiantly try some "back to black" by mothers before doing something more drastic.

#5 ·
MuskyHunter said:
Are you sure it is faded and not a white/gray residue that built up? Had that problem on my 240sx where the directional arms looked faded, but could be scraped off. I would also suggest running a fingernail to see if you can scratch the surface. Defiantly try some "back to black" by mothers before doing something more drastic.
I tried the back to black on mine, didn't last throught the five inches of rain that fell in the two days after I put it on.

#7 · (Edited)
Re: need advice> faded plastic

mine is starting to fade a bit as well. I noticed it yesterday when I was washing it.
I was probable going to try some sort of back to black or restore and see how it works. If that does not work I will look into getting that piece painted from the local body shop. I think toomnymods painted his white to match his truck.
________
Ipad Accessories

#8 ·
#10 ·
You talking about the Back to Black? Can't link to your shopping cart... :D

#11 ·
great suggestions. gonna try the back to black thing to see if its residue or build up.

#12 ·
guess it looks like build up but it's damn near impossible to get off the entire panel. anyone know of any kind of formula that can lift it off?

#13 ·
Try Turtle wax ice liquid clay bar, and ice wax.
It restored my wife's mirrors and wiper cowl like new.

#14 ·
TI'TNTUFF said:
Try Turtle wax ice liquid clay bar, and ice wax.
It restored my wife's mirrors and wiper cowl like new.
the turtle wax ice stuff was way too expensive for such a little amount. so i went ahead and bought Mother's: Back to Black. this stuff works great and is very inexpensive, about 3 bucks a bottle.

Here are the results:

final product

#15 · (Edited)
Blackbeauty said:
You talking about the Back to Black? Can't link to your shopping cart... :D
No, guess that link didn't work!!! I was talking about this stuff, it's called "Black Wow"

http://www.showcardetailing.com/eshop/shopexd.asp?id=96&bc=no

Looks like that Back to Black works well too......I wonder how long it lasts tho? Can you please update us with photos in 3 months please?

#16 ·
yscty said:
No, guess that link didn't work!!! I was talking about this stuff, it's called "Black Wow"

http://www.showcardetailing.com/eshop/shopexd.asp?id=96&bc=no

Looks like that Back to Black works well too......I wonder how long it lasts tho? Can you please update us with photos in 3 months please?
I've used the Back to Black on the factory black plastic running boards on my 95 dodge. It looks great for about 2 weeks then back to crap again. I tried the WD40 trick on them too. That was a mistake....any bit of moisture on them and I was on my back faster than a whore on prom night.

#17 ·
jmeyer said:
I've used the Back to Black on the factory black plastic running boards on my 95 dodge. It looks great for about 2 weeks then back to crap again. I tried the WD40 trick on them too. That was a mistake....any bit of moisture on them and I was on my back faster than a whore on prom night.
Hey! WE resemble that remark! :lol: Oh... different kinda whores... I get it... :jester: Yeah, the Bumper Black is the same way. I found something called Renue from a local detailing supply shop that does a nice job on the black bedrails and lasts for months. Pretty nice stuff.

#18 ·
Same problem, thanks for the help guys.

#19 ·
hey guys i used a pressure washer on mine and it took most of the oxidation off. the pressure washer was a small one, only 2000lbs. also did the bed rails

#20 ·
Will try that pressure washer today, thanks