Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am considering purchasing a 2005 Titan SE 2WD with 187k miles. I ran a vin check which was clean.

I think i can get the truck for 7500 or so. Couple questions:

1. Miles are very high. Seller states highway commuting. I have read a lot about the rear diff failures. Is it crazy to even consider buying this truck?
2. Is that price reasonable? If not, what would you consider fair?
3. When i see the truck, what are some things i should look for? Rusty diff cover, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
TOO MANY MILES !! Pass and keep looking.

·
Registered
369 Posts
12 to 15k per year. depending on the location. If its in the country, the 15k range. city, lower. thats my criteria.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't know. As far as a full size 2wd, you might look newer for a few more dollars. Would I be scared of the rear diff on this truck? No. *Most people who have had trouble with diffs have had 4wd trucks. If 7500 is all you have to spend, as far as a full size truck, I'd probably consider it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
7500 I'd consider it

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
$6,500 is even better. Keep haggling. 187K is a lot of miles. I'd definitely have a mechanic look it over completely and do a compression/leakdown test on the engine. A compression and leakdown test is a must with that many miles on it. Also, have the him check the tranny and rear axle as well. If everything checks out okay, then proceed with the negotiations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice on this thread. The seller has already told me 7500 is their rock bottom, so i doubt i can get it any cheaper.

Is there a year of Titan everyone feels is the best on the used market? For example, maybe 2006 was when they got all the major bugs worked out?

·
Premium Member
46,429 Posts
as mentioned a mechanic once over is a MUST with a compression test

it all depends what you want out of the truck, an occasional beater to haul some firewood and the homecenter runs, or are you looking for an everyday driver? if its the everyday driver, i'd pass

·
Registered
249 Posts
First, I didn't pay THAT much more for my 04 4x2 SE CC with 72k miles, but I got a really good deal. The market for a 190k mile truck is very slim, as a buyer you are in a much better position than he is. If you would seriously consider buying the truck, I would give the guy your number, tell him you are willing to spend..."whatever you decide", and to call you if he changes his mind. Then forget about it. If he calls you get a much better deal, and haven't spent all of your money with none left for repairs. The point being, with that many miles plan on $1000-$1500 needed for repairs in the first year of ownership. If you don't have to spend the money, then it turns out to be an even better deal. If you do have the repairs, then you aren't stuck with a broken truck while you try to find repair money.

If he agrees to your price, then have it checked out thoroughly.

Final thought. Be friendly, don't argue, state -"This is what I am willing to spend. If you can't sell it for that, then it was nice talking to you, have a nice day. If you change your mind, here is my number."

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thanks everyone for your advice on this thread. The seller has already told me 7500 is their rock bottom, so i doubt i can get it any cheaper.

Is there a year of Titan everyone feels is the best on the used market? For example, maybe 2006 was when they got all the major bugs worked out?
Well in general first year models always have more bugs than later years. That said IMO I don't think there's much difference from 04-07. Now 08 had some changes for the better, but you're getting well away from 7500 by that point.

I think a couple of people have made good points. Do you want to drive it every day? How far? Do you have another vehicle if there's any down time? Can you afford to do a repair for a grand if you had to? Only the answers to those questions can really say if it would work for you.

For me, it could work. I have another vehicle; I do most of my own work, even up to rebuilding engines. I could afford to farm out a repair. Other people, this might not work.

I think he's going to find a tough market for a vehicle with that many miles, so you might be able to wait him out. OTOH, if you really need a truck right now, you might not be able to hang tight.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
An 08 will cost more than 7500, but how much will the 05 with all of those miles cost in the long run? Might be better to search for an 08 that's more reliable, then spend extra on an 05, unless you plan on picking up the modding bug and want to do all the work yourself. Then you should buy an earlier model. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are too many questions unanswered. In the end, it all comes down to what you're willing to pay and if you are happy with the purchase or not. I've bought both my T's new off the lot and paid too much for them, but they ran good for me and if I had any problems, the dealer fixed it. I did pick up the modding bug with my current T and now wish that I had bought a cheaper model, ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts