Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellas,

Some of you have probably seen my postings are just riddled with problems my Titan has been having. I'm kinda at a fork in the road. I can either fork out about $2-$3k to fix my truck, or would it be smarter to short sale? I need 4wd and there are some little odds and ins that need fixed up. I owe 8,000 on my truck. 04 King Cab LE Off Road suppose to be 4wd but front differential is ruined. Runs just fine 2wd. 3 inch lift, K&N filter, Leer Canopy, 94k miles, leather. Cat Back w/Glass Pack 4 tips. Has a few scratches, and a couple small dents (nothing serious) Truck bed has some dents in it.

I'm very hesitant to put more money into my truck out of fear of just having repeat recurring problems? I'm just curious to see what some of you would do if you were in my shoes, and/or give some advice.

Thanks for the input!!! :hat:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well they say its cheaper to keep her, but in your case count your losses and move on, sell or trade. opt for the trade as a street sale could bring back even more problems.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would not want to sell it outright because even though it is buyer beware, you could have someone hounding you because of the issues the truck has.

I am not sure what an 04 is worth, but if you trade it in on new you could roll the negative equity into the new payment. The bad is you will be paying on something you dont have anymore. The good would be you will have something that does not need repair.

Do you have to have a LE Titan? Maybe go for an XE or what ever it is called now. I would try to get what ever is cheapest for my needs to try to cover the money lost on the trade and also not get into the situation of owing more then the truck is worth.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is an LE. Off road package.
Nice looking rig.

Would love to fix it, just worried about repeated occurrences with the diff and other 4wd related problems.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Yes it is an LE. Off road package.
Nice looking rig.

Would love to fix it, just worried about repeated occurrences with the diff and other 4wd related problems.
What's the money amount you would put in to keep her and feel good about it?

I ask because you don't want to get bled dry on the truck and still not feel like it's a good decision AND a trade in will net you have two amounts on either side of the spectrum to weigh:

The cost of keeping the truck and the cost of selling it. Which one is a better deal at this time?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd rather keep it around $1,500. Not sure how possible that is though.....:eh:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was at the same crossroads with my Titan a year or so ago. I was kind of down on her too. I decided to put the money into fixing it up - leveled it, fixed the exhaust manifold, put a CAI on, removed the steps, etc. I have never loved the truck more and plan on keeping it for a while. Just think....it will be paid off soon.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
If that $2k-$3k is to repair the Front Diff, then I'd just buy a NEW Front Diff and install it yourself, then you won't need to worry about it crapping out again.... FWIW, it's easier to unbolt/bolt the side flanges when the tires are still on the ground. :D

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The $8000 you owe + $2-$3k in repairs is a lot less than the $30-$35k you would pay for a new one. Mathematically it makes sense to keep it.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
The $8000 you owe + $2-$3k in repairs is a lot less than the $30-$35k you would pay for a new one. Mathematically it makes sense to keep it.
'Tis what I was going to say. Let's say you spent $2500 getting a new differential in. You now owe $10.5k on a vehicle that's what you want (I'm assuming it's what you want). That's cheaper than rolling over dead on what you've got to get a new truck, assuming you got 8k for it broken, or if you got less rolling the negative equity into another truck.

How many miles, and did you buy it new?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Tis what I was going to say. Let's say you spent $2500 getting a new differential in. You now owe $10.5k on a vehicle that's what you want (I'm assuming it's what you want). That's cheaper than rolling over dead on what you've got to get a new truck, assuming you got 8k for it broken, or if you got less rolling the negative equity into another truck.

Nope, I bought her used. 60k miles. She has almost 100k miles now.
One problem is a car seat for our new addition to the fam. Wife is getting really tired of having to have her seat forward.

I was thinking of selling and getting a used crew cab diesel. Then all these problems started happening. Probably would stay in the 16-18,000 range.
Throw the 3,000 it'd take to fix my truck at the new(used) truck and be sitting around 15,000 owed on a bigger truck.

I dunno...just thinking it all out.

Appreciate all the advice and opinions!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The answer partially depends on your finances. Assuming that you can afford it, I would trade it in.

Early model Titans with 100K+ miles make me nervous. My 05 seems to need something every couple of months now, with 110K on the clock.

I'm tolerating it because it's paid for. But, if I was still making payments, it would be gone. I figure if I'm making payments, might as well make payments on something that makes me happy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
04 King Cab LE Off Road suppose to be 4wd but front differential is ruined. Runs just fine 2wd. 3 inch lift, K&N filter, Leer Canopy, 94k miles, leather. Cat Back w/Glass Pack 4 tips. Has a few scratches, and a couple small dents (nothing serious) Truck bed has some dents in it.
Per his previous response, looks like 94k miles.

I am also curious what a dealership would give you on trade. My experience is if you get KBB trade-in then you've achieved a small miracle. Typically dealers go by Black Book (auction value) which is somewhere around 75-90% of KBB trade-in value.

Below are the KBB values the computer spit out. It could vary slightly. As noted below I tried to add a few extras to get a few bucks for the lift since that wasn't a specific option. Also, if you have things like the RF stereo that would add more as well.

Excellent $10,575
Good $9,975
Fair $8,975

Mileage:94,000
Engine:V8, 5.6 Liter
Transmission:Automatic
Drivetrain:4WD

Air Conditioning, AM/FM Stereo, Leather, Power Steering, Cassette, Power Seat, Power Windows, CD (Single Disc), Alloy Wheels, Power Door Locks, Dual Air Bags, Cruise Control, ABS (4-Wheel), OptionalOff-Road Pkg, Pickup Shell, Oversize Off-Road Tires*, Tilt Wheel, Winch*

* = Added as an effort to give a few bucks for the lift.

Now to answer the question, obviously $20k or $30k is considerably more. But when you consider life span, is it really? Obviously if you can't afford more than $10k than it's too much and you go with what you got and fix it. But if you have the funds to trade up to a newER (not necessarily brand new) Titan then perhaps you get a vehicle with lower mileage that will last considerably longer.

It's a free country, you can spend your money as you wish. But I would consider an upgrade in truck. The 04's are the first year run and it's no secret they have a good chunk of problems, plus the mileage is high.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The answer partially depends on your finances. Assuming that you can afford it, I would trade it in.

Early model Titans with 100K+ miles make me nervous. My 05 seems to need something every couple of months now, with 110K on the clock.

I'm tolerating it because it's paid for. But, if I was still making payments, it would be gone. I figure if I'm making payments, might as well make payments on something that makes me happy.

I get along really well with the service Dept in Medicine Hat, I have had Nissan's for years and I know from my dad working there for something to do and being around yes the 05-07 had some issues not many but diff's come up and a few other minor problems but from 08-09 they say they have replaced maybe 5 engines and one of those is from abuse one is from the oil field that ran through water and transmissions same thing very few and as far as the rest of the truck goes very very little. Rebecca has worked at Ford and Chev dealership in town while her husband is the service manger at Nissan? She even said Chevy is plagued with problems yes they have more volume that goes out but its not even close they have tons of problems and have no power compared apples to apples with the Titan. Ford she said the powerstroke is a joke years ago it was a solid engine now they or were getting lots back with water in the engine. But sadly she knows people at Toyota and since she owns a Titan as well they tell her the Tundra's are holding up really well to. But for the other big 3 when apples are compared to apples Nissan makes a really good truck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I religiously maintain my vehicle. I don't tow and have never been to the track. My only mod is a BDGT. Even my exhaust is stock.

With that in mind, here's a list of things that have failed on my '05 after the warranty expired:

Transmission
Transmission Cooler Lines
CD Player
IPDM Relay
Radiator
Cracked Manifolds
Flip Out Dash Cup Holder
Idler Bearing
2 batteries in 4 years

Here's some annoyances I have:

Fabric on driver seat starting to tear
Door Weatherstripping on driver side needs replacing
Leaf Springs squeak
TPM system is erratic at times
Thin paint

I'm still waiting for the rack and pinion to fail, along with the ps hose and differential.

My previous truck, a 1991 K1500, was more reliable than the Titan.
I just feel that with today's technology, a truck should be able to hit 200k before having the issues I've had. I'm not trying to be down on the Titan. When it runs, it's a great truck. When it breaks, it's usually $$$$$ to fix.

Sure, other trucks have their problems too. But I think with the domestic trucks, repairs will be cheaper and there is usually a decent aftermarket to deal with problematic parts.

For the average person like myself, I also feel intimidated trying to work on the Titan. Might as well be working on the space shuttle.

My next truck purchase will be something a little more old school, probably a Ford Lightning.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The complete front final drive is only around $1150. And that's the one with a better housing. Unlike the rear, it looks like individual internal parts are available too.

If the rear ever goes (or if you have an early '04 Off Road w/o the E-Lock), get it towed so you don't f' the ring and pinion, and get a TruTrac put in ... less than $1000 installed, and no more weak spider gears.

Complete transfer cases are about $1500, and again, Nissan sells the individual parts.

Chances are you will never have anything else go out. Maybe a seal replacement.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I religiously maintain my vehicle. I don't tow and have never been to the track. My only mod is a BDGT. Even my exhaust is stock.

With that in mind, here's a list of things that have failed on my '05 after the warranty expired:

Transmission
Transmission Cooler Lines
CD Player
IPDM Relay
Radiator
Cracked Manifolds
Flip Out Dash Cup Holder
Idler Bearing

Here's some annoyances I have:

Fabric on driver seat starting to tear
Door Weatherstripping on driver side needs replacing
Leaf Springs squeak
TPM system is erratic at times
Thin paint

I'm still waiting for the rack and pinion to fail, along with the ps hose and differential.

My previous truck, a 1991 K1500, was more reliable than the Titan.
I just feel that with today's technology, a truck should be able to hit 200k before having the issues I've had. I'm not trying to be down on the Titan. When it runs, it's a great truck. When it breaks, it's usually $$$$$ to fix.

Sure, other trucks have their problems too. But I think with the domestic trucks, repairs will be cheaper and there is usually a decent aftermarket to deal with problematic parts.

For the average person like myself, I also feel intimidated trying to work on the Titan. Might as well be working on the space shuttle.

My next truck purchase will be something a little more old school, probably a Ford Lightning.
I agree with you LOL and I think your right having to work at NASA to work on the T! Im just saying from 08 and on very few problems and alot of the problems are self created....wait wait before you jump on me **** happends things break and when they do on ours its usally $$$, but more like $$$$ when all and all is done. Overall its a great truck and thank the lord we didnt do HEMI!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nope, I bought her used. 60k miles. She has almost 100k miles now.
One problem is a car seat for our new addition to the fam. Wife is getting really tired of having to have her seat forward.

I was thinking of selling and getting a used crew cab diesel. Then all these problems started happening. Probably would stay in the 16-18,000 range.
Throw the 3,000 it'd take to fix my truck at the new(used) truck and be sitting around 15,000 owed on a bigger truck.

I dunno...just thinking it all out.

Appreciate all the advice and opinions!
A $16-18K used 3/4 ton diesel is going to have more miles than you have on the Titan right now. And most of the 3/4 tons get used hard, meaning a used unit in that price range might make the aesthetic problems with your Titan seem minimal.

If you drop the diesel requirement, you can probably find a nice used 3/4 ton for that price, and you'd most likely get roughly the same MPG as you do now (if you're '04 4X$ is anything like mine).

Leaf Springs squeak
There's a TSB for that. $20 in parts and 30 minutes of time will take care of the annoying sqeaky leafs. It did for me.

Overall I'm with you though. I really love the looks and the driving experience of the Titan, but the ownership experience has been the most expensive and headache-filled of any truck I've ever owned.

There's a lot to be said for a paid-for vehicle though, regardless of annoyances.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Per his previous response, looks like 94k miles.

I am also curious what a dealership would give you on trade. My experience is if you get KBB trade-in then you've achieved a small miracle. Typically dealers go by Black Book (auction value) which is somewhere around 75-90% of KBB trade-in value.

Below are the KBB values the computer spit out. It could vary slightly. As noted below I tried to add a few extras to get a few bucks for the lift since that wasn't a specific option. Also, if you have things like the RF stereo that would add more as well.

Excellent $10,575
Good $9,975
Fair $8,975

Mileage:94,000
Engine:V8, 5.6 Liter
Transmission:Automatic
Drivetrain:4WD

Air Conditioning, AM/FM Stereo, Leather, Power Steering, Cassette, Power Seat, Power Windows, CD (Single Disc), Alloy Wheels, Power Door Locks, Dual Air Bags, Cruise Control, ABS (4-Wheel), OptionalOff-Road Pkg, Pickup Shell, Oversize Off-Road Tires*, Tilt Wheel, Winch*

* = Added as an effort to give a few bucks for the lift.

Now to answer the question, obviously $20k or $30k is considerably more. But when you consider life span, is it really? Obviously if you can't afford more than $10k than it's too much and you go with what you got and fix it. But if you have the funds to trade up to a newER (not necessarily brand new) Titan then perhaps you get a vehicle with lower mileage that will last considerably longer.

It's a free country, you can spend your money as you wish. But I would consider an upgrade in truck. The 04's are the first year run and it's no secret they have a good chunk of problems, plus the mileage is high.

My question would be what would the truck fall under with the Front Diff problem? Is that considered "Fair"? Obviously not "Excellent". The truck is a solid "Good" condition, speaking for everything else. I've got all these little issues right now aside from the diff...

I am curious what a dealer would give me. But I think selling private seller would generate more.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
They would give you whatever they would otherwise, based on condition, minus parts and labor to fix any known problems. They would probably try to charge you retail parts and labor, instead of their real cost, in what they took off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts