Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted about this "problem" before, but I didnt really get much help at the time, so I'm gonna try again.... :)

When I turn my engine off, i can hear what sounds like "clacking", the best way to describe it is like the sound of something cooling off. the "clacks" dissipate as time goes by, apparently as whatever is making the noise is cooling down. (i assume it's cooling)

I got my Titan last September, and I did not hear that till recently as the weather started getting warmer. whether that has anything to do with it or not i dont know? I do have Banks Exhaust. so i dont know if its related to that or not.

So im asking you guys here, especially any of you who are experts at this for advise. Otherwise eventually I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say.
THANKS

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
You will hear the heat shields crackle as the exhaust system cools. The vehicle cools down much slower this time of year than when you bought it.
You also are more likely to stay outside and be near the truck as opposed to it's cold out and make a sprint into a warm place.

Clint

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P's Titan said:
when you turn the engine off and remove the key about 30 seconds to a minute your hearing everything shutting off. Yea the truck makes some funky noises at this time.

Been discussed plenty on here
as soon as i turn it off (and even when it idles, tho not as loud). it starts right away, and it'll continue on for awhile i guess. i've never stood by to when it stops, but like i said, eventually the "clacks" are farther and farther apart. and as best i can tell it seems to be coming from the cam shaft, but thats just a guess..... :(

if other peeps w Banks or similar exhausts have run across this, then fine.
its just that I personally dont know, me no expert, hehe.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clint said:
You will hear the heat shields crackle as the exhaust system cools. The vehicle cools down much slower this time of year than when you bought it.
You also are more likely to stay outside and be near the truck as opposed to it's cold out and make a sprint into a warm place.

Clint
Thank you Clint. that makes sense.

But I assume that happens w/ all Titans then? (w Banks?), and its not really a broken or cracked part?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
All metals expand and contract with heat variations. The crackling you hear is from that and is normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts