Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2wd and just installed 08+ 4x4 coils springs on top of my previously installed 2.5" spacer. Well after installing the coils, driving the truck, and re-measuring, the coils lifted the truck a little over 3"?? This is not counting the 2.5" spacer. I installed everything the same way it came apart, the coils were seated properly and everything. Do I just have to wait longer for it to settle or something?? I'm very confused!

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
You sure you seated the springs all the way on the shock? Good thing your 2wd, cant imagine how bad the halfshafts would be for a 4wd on that much lift without a diff drop.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Def did not get 3" out of my coils. I'd post some pics of the struts tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
snapped some pictures today with the shocks on the truck... I dont know how they could not be seated properly, but something obviously isnt right. It rides fine, a little more stiff than stock, but that is expected, I've driven about 75 miles, and it only settled about .5". Anyways here are the pics I got...

The best picture I could get of the top part of the coil

Any other ideas you guys can come up with would be great, thanks!

BTW: These are brand new from the dealership, they are nasty looking because of all the crap in the roads here.

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
That looks right. At the top of the spring and shock, there is a big bushing on the shock under the hat, is the bushing pulled all the way up to the hat? in other words did the bolt get screwed on all the way?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes its all the way to the top, I kept and eye on it as I was tightening up the top nut, and it did go all the way to the top of the hat. I know its dirty and may be hard to notice, but you can see that its touching in the second pic I posted.

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I do know the the 08+ front springs are different between a 4x2 and a 4x4 and since you have a 4x2, you installed the 4x4 springs and thats why your sitting higher

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
here is what my 08 front spring look like installed

Attachments

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do know the the 08+ front springs are different between a 4x2 and a 4x4 and since you have a 4x2, you installed the 4x4 springs and thats why your sitting higher
Thats why I did the swap, to get a little more height. However its only supposed to be about 1.5" and not 3". Now some guys might be wondering why I would complain about free lift, but I had to do a good bit of griding to the coil bucket to make this work, and its still just a temp. fix until I can get new u.c.a's.

Either way the problem is that many have dont this before and got about 1.5" of lift, and I got twice that amount. Something doesnt add up!

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
take the spacer out, its the easiest thing to do and reinstall the front shock assy and see what happens

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
Thats why I did the swap, to get a little more height. However its only supposed to be about 1.5" and not 3". Now some guys might be wondering why I would complain about free lift, but I had to do a good bit of griding to the coil bucket to make this work, and its still just a temp. fix until I can get new u.c.a's.

Either way the problem is that many have dont this before and got about 1.5" of lift, and I got twice that amount. Something doesnt add up!
Ya somethin is off. Everything looks right though. How's your truck look with the front end up high?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
so if you have the 2.5 spacer and are now getting an additional 2.5 of lift from the springs (you said it settled 0.5), you would be getting horrible coil bucket contact even with the PRG arms. Post pictures of the coil buckets. I think something does not add up here.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
take the spacer out, its the easiest thing to do and reinstall the front shock assy and see what happens
Yea I almost did that today, If nothing changes by next weekend I might give it a try.

Ya somethin is off. Everything looks right though. How's your truck look with the front end up high?
I looks pretty good, front is sitting at 41.5" and rear is at 40". That is from the ground to the top of the fender with my 35's. I took a picture with my phone tonight when I was done doing more grinding. I'm gonna clean it and I'll take more pictures....

This is with just the 35's and 2.5" spacer..

This is with a 1" rear block, 2.5" spacer and new springs..

BTW: Just looked back at my notes, and measurements with just the spacer and 35's was 38" front, and 39" rear.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so if you have the 2.5 spacer and are now getting an additional 2.5 of lift from the springs (you said it settled 0.5), you would be getting horrible coil bucket contact even with the PRG arms. Post pictures of the coil buckets. I think something does not add up here.
Sorry, I totally missed your post. Its more lift than that, the 41.5" is after it had settled, so it was about 3.5". I dont have the slightest clue how this is happening... I'm using the same coils everyone else has used. After a good amount of grinding, I havent got any real noticeable CB contact (not that I have really heard), however to test it I went over a speed bump at about 5-10 mph and got pretty hard contact. I'll try to get a picture at some point of the CB. :confused:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sorry, I totally missed your post. Its more lift than that, the 41.5" is after it had settled, so it was about 3.5". I dont have the slightest clue how this is happening... I'm using the same coils everyone else has used. After a good amount of grinding, I havent got any real noticeable CB contact (not that I have really heard), however to test it I went over a speed bump at about 5-10 mph and got pretty hard contact. I'll try to get a picture at some point of the CB. :confused:
How hard was it to re attach your uca to the spindle once you installed both springs and spacer? I know when I did mine with springs spacer and 5100s, it was impossible to do so without CB contact (even with a fairly well grinded lip)

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was really hard to do. It was a two man job to pull the uca down and put the nut on. I think I'm going to pull the spacer off today and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Looks like you're right at the same height that I am with coilovers ookswith hats flipped. I didn't touch the preload on them I just flipped the hat and installed them.

I get really nasty coil bucket contact and can't shell out the cash for aftermarket ucas so I'm lowering the truck back down and putting my 22s on it.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like you're right at the same height that I am with coilovers ookswith hats flipped. I didn't touch the preload on them I just flipped the hat and installed them.

I get really nasty coil bucket contact and can't shell out the cash for aftermarket ucas so I'm lowering the truck back down and putting my 22s on it.
Are you keeping the coilovers on the truck or getting rid of them?

Update: I took the 2.5" spacers off and I have tonsss of clearance between the UCA and CB now, and still have the 3.x" lift from the 4x4 coils. Problem solved for now, but still clueless as to why it came up that much. The front end is now sitting at 39". Do you guys know what stock 2wd titans sit at in the front?

My wife loved how the truck was when I had almost 6" of total lift in the front, so it looks like some of my tax money is gonna go towards a nice suspension lift.:eyebrow:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Are you keeping the coilovers on the truck or getting rid of them?

Update: I took the 2.5" spacers off and I have tonsss of clearance between the UCA and CB now, and still have the 3.x" lift from the 4x4 coils. Problem solved for now, but still clueless as to why it came up that much. The front end is now sitting at 39". Do you guys know what stock 2wd titans sit at in the front?

My wife loved how the truck was when I had almost 6" of total lift in the front, so it looks like some of my tax money is gonna go towards a nice suspension lift.:eyebrow:
my 05 was at 34.5 stock. stock tires too. just get the cst spindles for 4" more

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I'm selling the coilovers. Had them rebuilt when I bought them and had Icon make them extended travel at the same time. I was asking 900 shipped but I think I'm gonna drop it to 850 shipped to help move them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts