Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 08 LE Longbed was taken into the shop for having a bad front end clunk when going over bumps. They suggested they perform the latest TSB which replaced the front springs for the shorter springs from 07. I was reluctant to allow them to do this as I didnt want my front end to drop 1.5". When I refused they stated that because I wasnt allowing them to perform the fix per Nissans advice they would have to mark down that I was refusing warranty work. I chewed on it for 2 weeks and decided to go ahead with the fix as I couldnt live with the clunk any more. The truck now has the rake of an 07 and all though greatly reduced the clunk is still there. Since the dealership has no other ideas on how to fix my problem completely I have decided to try to fix it myself. I want to replace the stock shocks all the way around but now that I have 07 front springs Im not sure which ones to buy. I want to go with Bilstein 5100's here Bilstein shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com but am not sure if I need to replace the springs back to the original 08's as well? Can I order all Bilstein 5100's from shockwarehouse, install the 08 springs back on and have everything directly fit or is there any kind of modification I will need to do? Sorry for the long post and thanks for anyone's input.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The front shocks will fit either springs. Its your call on wether you want to keep the 07's or change back to the 08's. Do the 07's ride the same as the 08's? Are you wanting to keep the same height or lift?

·
Registered
365 Posts
BTW..you sure the clunk you are hearing isn;t just the shocks topping out?? It is normal for them to do that. The problem they had with the 08 springs clunking in the TSB was for broken springs. You definalty would have known if they were broke.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want the front back to the original stock height. The 07 springs make the front feel floaty and has changed the overall feel of the truck. The 08 springs were not broken they just caused a big clunk when going over a bump or a hill with a quick decline. The 07 springs do not clunk nearly as bad but they still do it and enough so that one of my friends who was riding with me pointed it out. The road I live on has many small hills and I can drive going about 45-50 mph in both my wife's Altima and Chevy 2500 worktruck with no problem. The only thing allowing me not to drive any faster is fear of losing control. In my Titan I cant go above 30mph without the front end sounding like its ready to fall out.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I currently run 5100's (middle setting) on 08 4x4 springs. The front is going to be a tad bit higher than stock since the 5100 is about 1/2 higher even at the lowest setting. I don't have any clunking sounds in the front end but I have an 05. Every T seems to be different when it comes to this very problem. I have never read so many different results from one modification.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Do newer Titans not have the Rake we are used to? 1-1/2" more Height from the showroom floor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts