Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys .... need your help/experience. What is the max tow rating on a 2008 Titan w/o the factory tow package? At what point do you need to switch from a class III to a class IV hitch? At what point do you need an equalizer hitch or a sway bar? When should you get a brake controller? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. New to towing, so looking for advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If plan on towing, why didn't you get the Tow Package?
What do you plan on towing?

Get the factory hitch kit, it will come with factory Class IV hitch(500 lbs tongue, 5000 lbs trailer weight, and 1000lbs tongue and 10000lbs trailer weight w/a WD hitch) the correct bolts, brkts and relays for the trailer lighting...

·
Registered
24 Posts
t2green1 said:
Ok guys .... need your help/experience. What is the max tow rating on a 2008 Titan w/o the factory tow package? At what point do you need to switch from a class III to a class IV hitch? At what point do you need an equalizer hitch or a sway bar? When should you get a brake controller? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. New to towing, so looking for advice. Thanks.

I have a 2005 CC SE without the tow package. I just went to uhual and bought a class 3 hitch installed with all the wiring, relays, draw bar and ball for around $360. Plus they give you lifetime warranty for $5 bucks.(which is included) I posted a thread on here. My truck can pull 7400# without a tow package. I know when I get around 6000# I will buy a WD hitch. I dont think you need to switch from a Class 3 to a Class 4 becuase if you get the WD hitch it will level your truck out and make it a lot easier for you to pull more weight. Tekonsha is a great brake controller from what I hear. I just ordered mine. I was told for long huals use a brake controller or when road conditions are not upto par.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Lou, I have read all your posts about buying a truck with a tow package. The dealer wanted way too much to include a tow package. At the time, I could not afford it. Like some of the other guys, I figured I would just add the hitch/accessories myself. The max that I plan to haul is around 6000 - 6500 pounds. I have not checked yet, but if I do not have the tow package, will I have a brake wiring harness for the trailer?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes the electric brake harness should still be there.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I believe if you check the sticker on the front passenger door, it has a lot of info. about towing. The manual does a decent job in discussing when you need to switch to the different classes of hitches and what each can tow. I believe above 3500 lbs, the manual says to use a brake controller and a trailer with brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the info guys. I've checked several sites for the oem receiver. Many do not have a part number listed for the '08. Does anyone know if it is the same as the '07? Dealer quoted me $240. I am trying to find it cheaper somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's cheaper than that at Courtesyparts.

I know everyone is going to boil me alive, but I think you should go aftermarket.
Hitchfinder.com
There is a reese for $175, others for cheaper. all of them direct bolt on. I have the reese, and I paid a lot less than that for everything.

Just ask your friendly $tealer if the 08 and 07 are the same p/n. If they are, you know all the hitches that fit an 07 are going to fit your 08.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You probably won't get much cheaper. Mine was a little higher than that from the dealer. It will also include the proper relays and the harness plug. That's sounds about right for the money.

Do you have the ability and tools to install yourself? You will definitely need a good torque wrench and a buddy's hand wouldn't hurt. If no buddies available, you can use a jack to hold the hitch up while you start the bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep, I'll do it myself. The hard part is just deciding what make and where to get it from. It is nice getting it from the dealer because you get everything you need (relays, plug, etc). I've looked at some aftermarket sites, and yes, they are much cheaper. But then you factor in cost of relays, harnesses, and shipping and I'm not sure if it's better in the end. But then again, I have not gone that route yet. Any input on other sites/prices, please let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry guys ... I should have done this sooner but I wasn't sure which forum to do it in. My 2008 Smoke Crew Cab SE was born a week and a half ago. I'm loving every minute of it. Isn't there an introductions forum? Anyway, we are officially a Nissan family. Myself with the Titan and my wife with a 2005 Altima. I am enjoying this site and am getting some useful info out of it. My immediate future mods will be tow hitch, cold air intake, and exhaust. Rest assured that I will keep picking everyone's brain.

p.s. anyone residing in south louisiana, let me know

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
know everyone is going to boil me alive,
That's it!....Bring me a large pot and plenty of water...:evillaugh

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2006 Titan with trailer package,I just got a 24' camper,my question is when i go to hook up brake controller are the wires under the dash?

·
Registered
392 Posts
The factory harness is there, but you need the pigtail to mate the controller to the harness. Some have said that it was in the glove box???????? If not , its not but about 9 or so bucks from the dealer. That harness is taped up to another harness just above the emergency brake. Depress the pedal to expose more veiw of that area, and just look for it, should be there.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts