Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We do a lot of traveling from Seattle to los angeles an im tired of using big trash bags for our stuff on the bed. Everytime we need to leave the truck, we would need t put everything inside the cab. Need help finding a shell that has the back window access to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
alvinispogi said:
We do a lot of traveling from Seattle to los angeles an im tired of using big trash bags for our stuff on the bed. Everytime we need to leave the truck, we would need t put everything inside the cab. Need help finding a shell that has the back window access to it.
The toppers are just starting to come out for the titan. I just ordered one from A.R.E. They are not released yet, but A.R.E. is taking orders already since they are supposed to be released next month. Also, Leer is supposed to be working on a Topper also. You can check them out and find a local dealer at the following links:

www.4are.com

www.leer.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
kennyo said:
The toppers are just starting to come out for the titan. I just ordered one from A.R.E. They are not released yet, but A.R.E. is taking orders already since they are supposed to be released next month. Also, Leer is supposed to be working on a Topper also. You can check them out and find a local dealer at the following links:

www.4are.com

www.leer.com

kennyo, thanks for the website info.

I, too, am interested in adding a camper shell to my future LE CC. Has anyone had one put on that can easily be removed when not needed? I have grand thoughts of being able to have a "quick release" system that would enable me to do so - maybe something that can be raised in my garage with some kind of pulley system.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Snug top is also working one a cap as well. I've had caps in the past that were bolted down and others that were semi-clamped down with a hooked bolt and wing nut.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shaggy said:
kennyo, thanks for the website info.

I, too, am interested in adding a camper shell to my future LE CC. Has anyone had one put on that can easily be removed when not needed? I have grand thoughts of being able to have a "quick release" system that would enable me to do so - maybe something that can be raised in my garage with some kind of pulley system.

Any thoughts?
Hello Shaggy:

I have a hoist ordered like they use to remove hardtops off jeeps and sports cars. It does as you describe, it lifts it into the ceiling of your garage. You then drive out from under it and then reverse to re-install. The A.R.E. top I have comes off by removing only 4 clamps. That's quick release for something I don't expect to be removing even 10 times in a year.

NITEBLITZ

·
Registered
108 Posts
I saw the LEER cap at SEMA here in Indy, it looked pretty nice. Very clean. The inside was carpeted, but I don't know if that's how they all come.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
NITEBLITZ said:
Hello Shaggy:

I have a hoist ordered like they use to remove hardtops off jeeps and sports cars. It does as you describe, it lifts it into the ceiling of your garage. You then drive out from under it and then reverse to re-install. The A.R.E. top I have comes off by removing only 4 clamps. That's quick release for something I don't expect to be removing even 10 times in a year.

NITEBLITZ
Where did you get this hoist? I have made a pulley system in the past just by buying parts at the hardware store. But maybe just buying the hoist saves alot of time in buying parts and measuring and tweaking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
NITEBLITZ said:
Hello Shaggy:

NITEBLITZ
Great news, Niteblitz!!!!!
Please let us all know where you purchased this hoist. By the way, is the placement/removal of the A.R.E shell an easy process? Also, is there any rattle or other noise from the shell being too loose after repeated use? I other words, in your experience, are we compromising utility for a lot of noise?

Thanks for all the great help!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a local snugtop dealer here in seattle and they said it would come out next month. There are three models that they are designing for the titan. One I like has dual tubular aluminum tubes on the top for carriers. They also are factory paint so color matching is not an issue. The back window will have access to the bed and an option thay will have is insulation for camping. This will cost $1700.00 installed. What do you guys think about the price?

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
alvinispogi said:
I found a local snugtop dealer here in seattle and they said it would come out next month. There are three models that they are designing for the titan. One I like has dual tubular aluminum tubes on the top for carriers. They also are factory paint so color matching is not an issue. The back window will have access to the bed and an option thay will have is insulation for camping. This will cost $1700.00 installed. What do you guys think about the price?
I was just quoted $1745 installed for a Z series A.R.E. with remote keyless lock, color match, tinted windows, Tilt Down Front Slider, Screen Vent Side Windows, Frameless Rear Door, Exclusive "Palm Lock", Carpet Headliner, Clothes Hanger, 3rd Brake Lt., 12V Dome LT., Roof Rack & LIFETIME WARRANTY.

·
Registered
182 Posts
bestatchess said:
Where did you get this hoist? I have made a pulley system in the past just by buying parts at the hardware store. But maybe just buying the hoist saves alot of time in buying parts and measuring and tweaking.

Hello bestatchess:

I ordered it from www.Quadratec.com , I will modify it when it comes in. I considered building from scratch but I hopefully will get a jumpstart with this package.

QTY ITEM DESCRIPTION $ AMOUNT 139.95
1 12020 01 HOIST-A-TOP FOR 1 PIECE TOPS 76-04 014-388

NITEBLITZ

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shaggy said:
Please let us all know where you purchased this hoist. By the way, is the placement/removal of the A.R.E shell an easy process? Also, is there any rattle or other noise from the shell being too loose after repeated use? I other words, in your experience, are we compromising utility for a lot of noise?

Shaggy:

There are some installation points to make the removal easy, have them put the waterproof seal on your top vs. the truck rail. That way when you remove it, everything comes with the top. There is really no reason to have a rattle or if you do you should be able to fix it. I'm not concerned about that, again I don't anticipate taking it off that often.

This is a project in progress, so it's too early to really say. I will update when I get it finished. You must get a hoist for the right capacity to match your top. You can even get them powered but for my top I felt that was overkill. If I was going with a full camper top I might reconsider that because of the greater weight.

Here is where I got mine, If you do a search you will find many versions elsewhere.

http://www.Quadratec.com

HOIST-A-TOP FOR 1 PIECE TOPS 76-04 014-388 $139.95

NITEBLITZ

·
Registered
182 Posts
Shaggy said:

Shaggy:

The hoist I ordered came in, not what I anticipated. :huh:

I'm sending it back and I've already bought another one from Outdoor World.

Less $ and 10X better! Unfortunately Uncle Sam has me doing taxes this weekend, I hope to get it put together soon and will post photos for your use.
If you so choose.

NITEBLITZ :cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
NITEBLITZ said:
Shaggy:

The hoist I ordered came in, not what I anticipated. :huh:

I'm sending it back and I've already bought another one from Outdoor World.

Less $ and 10X better! Unfortunately Uncle Sam has me doing taxes this weekend, I hope to get it put together soon and will post photos for your use.
If you so choose.

NITEBLITZ :cheers:
Niteblitz,
I certainly appreciate anything you could provide to me and everyone else in regards to the hoist. I'm anxious to see your hoist system once you're done.

I hope Uncle Sam will be kind to you! :boxing:

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
Shaggy said:
Niteblitz,
I certainly appreciate anything you could provide to me and everyone else in regards to the hoist. I'm anxious to see your hoist system once you're done.

I hope Uncle Sam will be kind to you! :boxing:
I am having a Yakima rack put on mine. I don't know if that will be strong enough to use to lift it up with or not. If so, it would make it real easy to make a hoist.

·
Registered
182 Posts
bestatchess said:
I am having a Yakima rack put on mine. I don't know if that will be strong enough to use to lift it up with or not. If so, it would make it real easy to make a hoist.

bestatchess:

My guess is that it will bolt through the top in 4-6 places. With the top being fiberglass you may not want to lift using the rack mounts. I don't trust fiberglass with point loads. Slings are cheap and with a spreader bar or other we should be able to just catch and lift the top as a whole.

Are you adding the rack to a lid or a full camper type top? Any idea of your top's weight? Mine is an A.R.E. lid @ about 100#.

See below for an idea of my design, I'm using this rig combined with a manual ratchet winch (aftermarket for ATVs). Cost for both were about $100 @ Outdoor World. The rig in the photo can lift at both ends of the top at the same time hooked to a couple of slings or other. They offer these in a lightweight version and the heavy version that I purchased.

Looks good on paper, I'll let ya know how the "as-builts" go later!

:cheers:
NITEBLITZ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
NITEBLITZ said:
bestatchess:

My guess is that it will bolt through the top in 4-6 places. With the top being fiberglass you may not want to lift using the rack mounts. I don't trust fiberglass with point loads. Slings are cheap and with a spreader bar or other we should be able to just catch and lift the top as a whole.

Are you adding the rack to a lid or a full camper type top? Any idea of your top's weight? Mine is an A.R.E. lid @ about 100#.

See below for an idea of my design, I'm using this rig combined with a manual ratchet winch (aftermarket for ATVs). Cost for both were about $100 @ Outdoor World. The rig in the photo can lift at both ends of the top at the same time hooked to a couple of slings or other. They offer these in a lightweight version and the heavy version that I purchased.

Looks good on paper, I'll let ya know how the "as-builts" go later!

:cheers:
NITEBLITZ[/QUOTE]

Looks good. I have a Z series shell from A.R.E. ordered. With the sling setup, it looks like it would be a little annoying to get the slings under the front and rear of the shell. Maybe that is the way it has to be done as I think the strongest lifting points are the reinforced lower side rails of the shell.

·
Registered
182 Posts
bestatchess said:
Looks good. I have a Z series shell from A.R.E. ordered. With the sling setup, it looks like it would be a little annoying to get the slings under the front and rear of the shell. Maybe that is the way it has to be done as I think the strongest lifting points are the reinforced lower side rails of the shell.

I just pulled up the site and took a look at the Z series, if the rack is attached with reinforcing so as to spread the load you might be able to attach to the roof rack without any problem. I agree that getting the sling under the Z series is a bit more of a challenge.

Make sure to tell your installer you want the tape they use as a gasket to be applied to the top vs. the truck rail. They tend to put it on the truck if you don't say something. That way when you remove the top the tape goes with the top and isn't left behind on the top of your bed rails!

NITEBLITZ

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
NITEBLITZ said:
I just pulled up the site and took a look at the Z series, if the rack is attached with reinforcing so as to spread the load you might be able to attach to the roof rack without any problem. I agree that getting the sling under the Z series is a bit more of a challenge.

Make sure to tell your installer you want the tape they use as a gasket to be applied to the top vs. the truck rail. They tend to put it on the truck if you don't say something. That way when you remove the top the tape goes with the top and isn't left behind on the top of your bed rails!

NITEBLITZ
O.K., thanks, good tip, I will have them tape the shell instead of the truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts