Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the Volant CAI today from Stillen. Although I've never done anything with any of my cars in the past, because everyone was saying how intake upgrade is so easy that anyone can do it, I tried.

Well I got stuck taking off the Throttle Body cover. On the '07 it looks a little different. The whole top is covered with 5.6 V8 on it. All the intructions on any type of intake change showed the top part of the cover exposed. When I unscrewed the 2 bolts in the front it wouldn't come off. I didn't want to chance breaking something so I put it back on.

I also pulled the sensor off and turned on the engine to back up my truck. It died when I put it in reverse. I'm assuming it's because the sensor was unplugged. I plugged it back in, but now I get the 'Service Engine Soon' light. I'm hoping it will go away over time and nothing is really wrong with the engine.

If anyone can provide me with detailed intructions on how to take off the stock intake and install the Volant, I would really appreciate it. And yes I've search through the forums and they all showed pre '07.

I also had trouble taking the hoses off. I don't know if you're suppose to just pull them off or loosen something first. Hard to tell with the throttle body cover on.

I hate it when instructions just state, "Remove cover....remove hose...remove sensor...etc." as if I already knew how. Instuctions should be more detailed indicating what needs to be loosened, unscrewed, unbolted, etc. Instructions are there to provide step by step guidance and should apply to all people, experts as well as newbies or dummies like me.

I've read a lot on this forum and I know many of you are very knowledgable. Hopefully someone will help me out. :smoke:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The Intake is the same set up as the 04-06 I believe. You need to take off the engine cover.

Baseballfanz should come post here and show you a diagram..

·
Registered
96 Posts
You sound like you're in a state of panic. RELAX! Not the end of the world. Your first mistake is not taking your time to examine the situation. It's common sense to take out the cover this is the reason why the instruction just says "remove cover". Second, with the sensor out you will trigger the check engine light if you start the engine. Again this is common sense why would you start your engine with the sensor unplugged. The easiest way to reset the warning light is to disconnect the battery for at least 12 hours. If you're not comfy with that then I suggest you bring it to a dealer. Get somebody else to help you install the CAI or have a it professionally installed. It doesn't sound like you're to mechanically inclined to tackle this kind of task.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you call engine cover is what I stated is Throttle Body Cover. Either way, the cover is different on the '07. I also wanted some advice on how to do it, not your opinion on how mechanically inclined I am. I'm assuming that you were born with a wrench in your hand.

·
Super Moderator
162,169 Posts
The engine cover on the '07 is different looking than those of previous years, but it's interchangeable and has the same attachment points. Two bolts in the front, and then it's friction fit into two "grommets" underneath it, further back from the bolts. Just pull up on it, it won't break.

As for the light, it won't go off until you reset it. Instructions are in this thread on how to do that.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/47863-best-titantalk.html

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
Remove the two bolts you see on the factory intake, yank on it and it will come out exposing the 3rd hidden bolt. Follow Volant instructions for install. Make sure your MAF is install correct (not backward). As for the SES light, probably came one when you unhook the sensor, you can pull the code to see what it is or you can reset it. If it's not a problem the light will not come back on.
Just follow Carbeaux link on how to reset the ECU turning off SES light.

The attach picture will show the intake, the bolt in the red circle is hidden. Just yank on the airbox and it will come off.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the stock intake system out. I'm ready to put to Volant Box in but it just doesn't seem to line up. There is about 1/2" space between the bottom of the box and the hole.

I've read someone saying that they are going to put the rubber grommet in the Volant box to reduce vibration. How do you put the grommet into the small hole? Can anyone shed some light? Thanks.:smoke:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nevermind. I somehow banged it in there and tighten it. It's all installed now. It only took me 3 hours. I think it's a record on this forum. It's good to be #1. The slowest in the West! :bangit:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reset the ECU and took it for a test drive. When I WOT the sound scared me at first. It is LOUD. But normal driving under 1500-2000RPM is pretty mellow and really can't notice the difference between stock intake.

I'm just glad I got it done without breaking anything. Stillen was going to charge me $100 for the install. I decided to use the money and buy Craftsman Tool set which I used to install the Volant. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Carbeaux said:
The engine cover on the '07 is different looking than those of previous years, but it's interchangeable and has the same attachment points. Two bolts in the front, and then it's friction fit into two "grommets" underneath it, further back from the bolts. Just pull up on it, it won't break.

As for the light, it won't go off until you reset it. Instructions are in this thread on how to do that.

Thanks for your help. Your instructions about the cover helped me the most.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
$100 to install? Psh, I would have driven to your house and installed it for free :)

Its simple, just read instructions twice :)
Glad you got everything done ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts