Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone in so cal help me out with flipping the hat on my coilovers. Cuz I dont want to do it cuz i dont trust myself lol.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You can do it yourself man! I did mine a few weeks back. All you need is a floorjack and jack stands and a good assortment of tools. I just used a 204 piece craftsman mechanics tool set. I didn't have a floor jack so I went to sears and got one of those $350 aluminum ones, ohhh man it was nice. I just returned it when I was done ha. Just trust yourself.

Reactions: TorkMaster

·
Registered
787 Posts
By flipping the top hats you will gain 2.5" of lift. With the added lift you can take off preload to almost nothing and sit higher than when you had preload. You can't add too much preload because you will get upper control arm and coilbucket contact.

·
Registered
106 Posts
well that sounds good. do you know if I can do that with my saw's? they are the extended length ones and I'm running a stock spindle with an ncd uca.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, those are the exact ones I got. An ncd uca? I've never seen those. I just googled them and they look pretty nice. You will be good to do this.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well that sounds good. do you know if I can do that with my saw's? they are the extended length ones and I'm running a stock spindle with an ncd uca.
Have you done all of your work by yourself? I have never touched my suspension before, Always take her to the shop. Im up in san marcos and was thinking that maybe a weekend or so we could get together and get this done to our trucks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
yep, I put the uca's, the coilovers, and new rear shocks on by myself. Just used a jack, some jack stands and did it in my drive way (the hardest part was just the damn uca bolts and getting to them). I'm in RB and I'll be taking out my saws soon to have them rebuilt because the seals are blown. so I figured I would do this when I put them back in. if the timing works we can do it, I might even be able to use a full shop with a lift.

dazedasp - could you post a pic of your top and bottom coilovers for me? Do you have any links for directions or is it pretty self explanatory once I see a picture? I'm running my saws cranked up about 2 1/4" right now, how much will have to lower them do you think?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'll post up pics tomorrow afternoon. It's pretty self explanatory. Just remove the coilovers so you have the actual coilover and the top hat separated. Then as it was ontop, flip it. A good way to know you've done the flip right is the big ol bolt that connects the coilover top piece to the saw top hat will be on the other side from where it was before you did the flip. Idk if that makes sense. Once you take a look at all, it will come together. It is surprisingly easy. It will only work one way, so you have to worry about doing it wrong. The one thing I wasn't sure about was there are 3 washers under the bolts that hold down the top hats onto the coilbucket.. Now when you put the coilover back in, these 3 bolts will be all that holds it to the coilbucket. Well I put the washers ontop of the coilbucket so it goes coilover, coilbucket, washers, then the bolts...I didn't know if I should put them under the coilbucket or on top or ditch them all together so I just put them on top. I really wish I would have done a write up on this, but I got rushed about halfway through as it was getting dark. I lowered my preload ALOT. I was surprised, this adds a lot of lift, I sat and stared at my truck for a bit after doing the flip with all my preload on because it was sitting so friggen high up.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Nvm tomorrow afternoon. I went out and snapped some pics right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
This is definetly a good mod. I am sitting .5" higher in the front and only have 3 threads showing on my coilovers. It rides really good now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
dazedasp - thanks for the pics! this does look very easy to do. I need to have my shocks rebuilt so I will do this before I put them back on. So it looks like all I do is basically just flip around the coilbucket mount?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yep, you got it man.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Hey guys, I flipped my hat a few months ago too. I wanted to soften the ride a little because it was terrible with the 700lbs springs (4wd extended saws) combined with the e rated tires. I have since flipped it back because i was worried that the spring would bottom out before the bump stop would hit. I never really tested it to see if it would but when flipped, there was only maybe 2" of shock arm showing. Also was having too much uca contact with stockers. I might try it again when my new PRG uca's get here. Anyway what I was going to say is just check if there is bump stop contact or not and if you are 4wd watch cv angle isnt too extreme.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ah, I remember your thread about that. What did you end up doing? Did you send them to Greg for new springs or just left it? I can see what you mean on the shock bottoming out before hitting the bump stops. I'm not too worried about it though, a few people have had their hats flipped for a long time and have no problems. Granted these shocks aren't designed to work like this, but as long as you don't go jumping your truck pretty high you should be fine. I imagine those stock uppers hit bad. If you ever get the prg ones, try doin the flip again and see if you like it.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Hey Dazed, Ive actually been waiting on my new 625lbs springs and uca's from Greg for a while now (hopefully this week) along with some other stuff. I was thinking the same thing, its not like i go jumping the truck but still I wanted to wait for the new uppers so i could flip them again and add a bit of preload to stretch it out a bit. The next question I was wondering is, does the PRG uca's still hit the coilbucket at full extension? I was just curious because if its the shock that limits droop I thought flipping the hat would allow too much extension and maybe cv issues.

Damn i never even thought about doing this. So basically all you have to do is flip the coilover adapter from the top of the coil bucket to the bottom and you gain 2.5" ? If so im gonna do that this weekend.
And nick, 2.5" is what i got. Its not too hard just pull the shock out, flip the hat and mount it to the shock. Then put it back in, the bolt at the back will be a pita to get at and with mine (4wd) i really had to push down on the lower control arm and axles but it will go, its a tight fit. Oh ya and watch the break lines when putting it back in, I wasnt paying attention and just about broke the line pushing on things.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
787 Posts
Nice man, I got the 625 springs right now and they are nice and smooth, you'll like em a lot. At full drop the prg uppers do hit slightly, but I've mashed it over speed bumps and put it through rigorous tests to make sure it was preforming like it should, and nothing. It was only when I jacked the truck up all the way, but who knows, everything has settled since then. You just have to adjust the preload perfectly so you just clear and you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Hey Dazed, Ive actually been waiting on my new 625lbs springs and uca's from Greg for a while now (hopefully this week) along with some other stuff. I was thinking the same thing, its not like i go jumping the truck but still I wanted to wait for the new uppers so i could flip them again and add a bit of preload to stretch it out a bit. The next question I was wondering is, does the PRG uca's still hit the coilbucket at full extension? I was just curious because if its the shock that limits droop I thought flipping the hat would allow too much extension and maybe cv issues.

And nick, 2.5" is what i got. Its not too hard just pull the shock out, flip the hat and mount it to the shock. Then put it back in, the bolt at the back will be a pita to get at and with mine (4wd) i really had to push down on the lower control arm and axles but it will go, its a tight fit. Oh ya and watch the break lines when putting it back in, I wasnt paying attention and just about broke the line pushing on things.
Thanks man i will diffinity give it a shot. I installed my upper arm and shock myself and it wasnt too bad so i dont think ill have any trouble with this.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, it'll be a breeze.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.