Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys. I was drivin to work today in 4 wheel cause of snow and i seem to get a steering wheel wobble around 45-55. Mph. But only there in 4x4. Not 2x4. What could this be. Is the 4 wheel not engauging fully? Its definitly in 4 wheel drive. And dont really do it until im over 30 mph. Any help would be great.. ps. Im out of warranty. So will be out of pocket

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
FWIW, I had almost the exact same thing yesterday and the same scenario as you. Mine was on the way into work but not on the way home. I'm thinking it was water in the tire that froze due to the stupid snow and cold weather we've been inundated with, and it broke free inside and was causing it. I think it was just sloshing around inside. On the way home it was gone, whether in 2wd or 4wd, and this morning I didn't have it either. I've also had the problem just from frozen gunk being caught in the wheels. Let me tell you, my steering wheel and the entire truck was shaking pretty violently. So much that I thought I had a flat and pulled over to check. From that point I kept it under the speed of the wobble until I got into work.

Of course, not knowing that much about front suspensions and how that stuff works per se, wait for the members that work on this crap to chime in.

Reactions: BIGSTUFF

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea. Exactly what your saying.. i was thinking the same with the water freezing... hmmmm and the last time this happen was when it snowed too.. hmmmmm. And during the first time was really bad like u said shaken hole truck. Thought wheel was gona fall off.. lmao.. of cours that was after doing some donuts in the snow in a empty lot. So naturally i thought i broke somthing. But maybe. The frozen stuff broke free and made me shake???

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I love to play in the snow as well. There is definitely something to be said for snow packed in the spokes. I've had to stop and clean out my wheels a lot, even on previous trucks.

Reactions: BIGSTUFF

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh yeaa. Its alot a fun. Thanks homedepot for not plowing your lot. Lol. Slip sliddding away!!!

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
Early model front diffs are prone to the half shafts pulling out as they are only held by C-clips. Does not sound like the problem in this case, as typically the front wheels won't be pulling in that condition because it is an open diff. But something to be aware of, particularly for the 04-05 trucks. The diff was redesigned, I think in 06, to strengthen the housing and resist half shaft ejection.

YouTube - Nissan Titan front driver half shaft moving inside of differential

1 - 6 of 6 Posts