Nissan Titan Forum banner

Need info on aftermarket drain valves.

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  OnebadSE 
#1 · (Edited)
I am anal about changing my oil regularly and would like to make the process easier by removing my drain plug and installing a Fumoto oil valve. Does anyone have experience using this valve. I have heard that the Fram Sure Drain valve does not work well.

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

See less See more
#2 ·
My guess is that one of these values will work just fine with Titans. I would think that the valves that work on Frontiers and older Nissan trucks should be just fine on the Titan. Probably the same threads and size. Obviously you should verify this first but it shouldn't be hard to do.

#3 ·
Not too intrude on aftermarket stuff, or stuff approved by manufacturer. But i would definantly change your oil too manufacture spec's for atleast 36k. That will eliminate all lemon claims if so it happens, and it does with all trucks. It will make the fight alot easier.. Just my opinion..

#4 ·
I'm hesitant to install something that has the potential to leak. I know they hold up well etc. But just how many seconds can they save you? I've had cars with over 200k on the clock with original plugs so no problem of threads wearing out if they are torqued properly.

#5 ·
I knew there had to have been a conversation on this.

Bayou, what was the problem with the FRAM. Didn't they take them off the market for a while? I just picked up one to try on another car tonight and was considering it for the Titan.

Anyone using one or something similar?

#6 ·
Bayou Titan said:
I am anal about changing my oil regularly and would like to make the process easier by removing my drain plug and installing a Fumoto oil valve. Does anyone have experience useing this valve. I have heard that the Fram Sure Drain valve does not work well.

http://www.fumotovalve.com/
Bayou,

I order 2 of these, one for my Ranger (traded it on the Titan) and the other for my Excursion. Never installed either (gave the one away with the Ranger and had a rear main seal leak on the Xcursion).

But the guys on thedieselstop.com swear by the Fumoto. They also have a coupon code posted on the site now for a % off.

GOOD LUCK and GEAUX TIGERS!!

ICE

#7 ·
Likecars said:
I knew there had to have been a conversation on this.

Bayou, what was the problem with the FRAM. Didn't they take them off the market for a while? I just picked up one to try on another car tonight and was considering it for the Titan.

Anyone using one or something similar?
I have read a lot about the early model Fram drain valves having leak problems. I don't know if this has been corrected now. A lot of people choose the Fram over the Fumoto because the Fram has a lower profile and doesn't have the exposed drain valve handle that can snag on something and cause problems.

#9 ·
How hard is it to remove a plug, drain the oil, and reinstall it? LOL...I mean....the next easiest thing is to let the dealer do it! C'mon! it takes what...a couple seconds? I think we're now ridiculasly grasping now people.

#10 ·
I think quite a few people over at the Open Roads forum use those, I've never heard of anyone having a problem. As far as it being hard to remove the plug and drain the oil, it looked to me in that link that the valve plugs right into a plastic tube, which I gotta say would be niceeeeeeee. Personally, I'd rather pay the dealer 5-10 bucks (labor, obviously you pay more than that cos you're paying for the oil & filter too) to do it.

#11 ·
OnebadSE said:
How hard is it to remove a plug, drain the oil, and reinstall it? LOL...I mean....the next easiest thing is to let the dealer do it! C'mon! it takes what...a couple seconds? I think we're now ridiculasly grasping now people.
:crying:

Rhetorical or do you want an answer? A question was asked, do you have something useful to add?

The dealer is the last person I would want to touch my car.

Wait, the absurdity just struck me, thank you for opening my eyes.

#12 · (Edited)
OnebadSE said:
I haven't purchased a valve yet because a lot of what you say is true. Some of the benefits of having the drain valve are:

1. Not having to get a proper size wrench to remove the drain plug.
2. Not having oil run down your hand when you unscrew the drain plug.
3. Not having to retrieve the messy plug from where it falls and clean the threads.
4. Not having to buy the copper crush washer.
5. Lot faster and easier
6. No worry about cross threading and over tightening the drain plug.

#13 ·
Likecars said:
:crying:

Rhetorical or do you want an answer? A question was asked, do you have something useful to add?

The dealer is the last person I would want to touch my car.

Wait, the absurdity just struck me, thank you for opening my eyes.

That was very useful. And fact. What's absurd is thinking you'll save a whole 3 seconds changing your oil. But hey, lol...have at it. And yes, it was a rhetorical question you felt the need to comment on and yet...not answer. :hat:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.