Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

New to the forum and have always run Yota's with Downey stuff, ARB, airlift etc. in the past.

Moved to the 05 Titan a couple years ago now. Just turning 40k miles. Put on 35's (Cooper STTs), Kennasaw wench bumber and all - and Pro-Comp top of the line 6" lift. The latter is causing me big problems. Constantly breaking under presure and so noisy its embarrasing. Has cost me several hundereds in CV boot replacements and parts everytime procomp fails. And -very unlike me - I'm babying this thing. Not airborne like normal.

So - the Question is; "Who makes a real off road system for the Titan? Something with a true "Holy-crap "we're going over" level articulation capacity that can pull off the slow rolls, high speed offroad handling performance, without the costly problems with Procomp constant rubbing, breakages, etc. Something I won't break 6 times just barely putting presure on it.

What's the best kit out there for the absolute "Tom's Titan Test Center", the one where you can't believe the truck is still upright? End to end - I need best suspension for off road I can get or need to get another truck that can pull it out when people are jumping out of my truck when scared?

Not trying to wreck my truck - but do need the best. Think Ivan level.

Please help. What's your experience out there? Suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,748 Posts
I would suggest either (PRG) Greg's mid travel kit for open desert type off roading or the setup I have for heavy trail use and light to medium rock crawling. The last time I saw Greg he told me I'm one of the few guys he knows that's really hard on the truck. Personally, I think I'm babying her. My setup is in my sig below.

Gotta meet with Greg soon to re-valve my coilovers to help eliminate the bottoming out when I beat on the suspension. He thinks he can get the valving dialed in to the point I won't need to get air bumps, but I'd still like them for peace of mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,410 Posts
Why did you buy an IFS truck if you want lots of Gnarticulation? Thats what SFA is for.

You want high speed and thats best done with IFS.

Ivan level? Spend a few million for a tube frame race car or come back down to reality.

So which do you want?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
tenguns said:
Folks,

New to the forum and have always run Yota's with Downey stuff, ARB, airlift etc. in the past.

Moved to the 05 Titan a couple years ago now. Just turning 40k miles. Put on 35's (Cooper STTs), Kennasaw wench bumber and all - and Pro-Comp top of the line 6" lift. The latter is causing me big problems. Constantly breaking under presure and so noisy its embarrasing. Has cost me several hundereds in CV boot replacements and parts everytime procomp fails. And -very unlike me - I'm babying this thing. Not airborne like normal.

So - the Question is; "Who makes a real off road system for the Titan? Something with a true "Holy-crap "we're going over" level articulation capacity that can pull off the slow rolls, high speed offroad handling performance, without the costly problems with Procomp constant rubbing, breakages, etc. Something I won't break 6 times just barely putting presure on it.

What's the best kit out there for the absolute "Tom's Titan Test Center", the one where you can't believe the truck is still upright? End to end - I need best suspension for off road I can get or need to get another truck that can pull it out when people are jumping out of my truck when scared?

Not trying to wreck my truck - but do need the best. Think Ivan level.

Please help. What's your experience out there? Suggestions?

there's really only 1 person you need call....





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Sounds like you want a truck to do it all in extremes. Good luck. You can setup for great desert racing, or excellent mudding, or outstanding rock crawling. Each have a downside. Will this also be a daily driver. You can setup a truck to be pretty fair at all, or good at a few, but not really great at all. Most really good off-road suspensions don't do a great job on the street or highway. Most trucks that ride great on the road are limited to what they can do off-road.

You'll have to pick your poison. Getting a solid 4in lift or a mid-lift kit would be a good compromise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great input. Thanks. I realize there is a trade off between technologies.

Most of what I do is rock crawling and the road handling is secondary really so a call to Greg is no doubt in order. I only ask for the extreme because I break everything I own and the Titan is getting really costly.

Secondly - I'm almost always alone at 10k ft - >100 miles from pavement when I'm out - so making it out is always good for my health and prevents wife induced shovel-poisoning upon return.

Frankly - coming from the 4 yota's which I broke / break regularly also... just not nearly as often, the first order is to "fix the Pro-comp" 6" lift which has failed in the field time after time. May be replacement time but want to know what your experiences have been and if there is better on the market. If Greg has all the answers - I'm good.

I'm not a big believer in lift (center of grav perspective) unless its at the wheel and tire level and only lift my trucks to clear the tires necessary to get where I'm going. Pro-comp was what was available when I initially put the truck together.

I've ground the knuckls, and replaced the cheesey lower sway bar end mounts and rod-ends PC supplies - 4 or 5 times per side. They still bust and pop the cv boots. So maybe the CST end-links will fix that problem with the Pro-Comp Stage II I have on there now. There are more probs with the PC kit but fixing that or getting rid of the PC now would be better if there is a better long term solution.

Another problem with my truck is suspension noise. May be lower front coilover shock bushings? But sounds like the samford and son truck even on pavement. The suspension is louder then your favorite rusty lawnmower. Are your trucks unrulely loud? Hooligan - does your truck scream when you roll it up like that?? Great pic by the way. Probably not an issue if your looking to get noticed - but I'm not.

Can back off the lower shock nut and stop some sqweekng noise for a few hours - but first off road and I'm back to "broadcast level." Tried every oil / grease on earth. Could be subframe components moaning and crackling too - but the squeeking is unreal?? Think the subframe is separate problem.

So just want to start out with the right foundation and if a change is necessary get-er done now when I can afford. I tow with it, haul with it, 4x with it and live in it for a week at a time or more at times when in the hills - so no tube frames necessary - but the best additions I can make within reason. I don't run at 60 constantly - but accasionally slam things when getting to the top is more important then body parts or the consiquences are not healthy. Most of my runs involve 500-2000 mile runs to other states or to the Eastern Sierra's- then the tech stuff. Rocks and angles with the best "roadable" tradeoff I can get. Again - appreciate your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,410 Posts
Why would a "hard core rock crawler" go crawling with the sway bar attached? Thats like crawling 101.

For crawling cut off the front end and replace with a SFA on leafs or links. Link the rear as well.

Get some glass to clear tires with less lift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
+1

If you really want a good rock crawler you're going to have to change out the entire suspension for something with a whole lot more flex.

I have a Rancho 4" lift on my 07. While it's not a rock crawler, it does really well off-road. I can fit 35" tires if I need the extra sidewall. For now 33's are doing really well. I have put the Rancho kit through the paces pretty well, and it's holding together great. I let someone at my dealer drive it yesterday and he said he liked it better than any other Titan's that he's driven.

I hope you find the combo that works best for you, because that's the only person it matter for.

:cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,897 Posts
I may be asking for a verbal bashing here, but have you thought about just getting a 3/4 Ford or Dodge? By the time you buy everyhting you want you will have more into your Titan (not to mention the time and headaches) than if you bought somehting closer to what you need. Lets see, solid and HUGE axles that will easily support 35 or 37 tires with corresponding large brakes. Turbo deisel...best for your high altitude and long distance runs not to mention plenty of power. Suspension options are in abundance, everything from white shocks to bolt-on 3" bypass units. Weight will not be nearly as critical as the truck can handle all your expedition extras. The remote areas you are going will be more apt to handle repair and replacement parts as Titans dont have nearly the dealer/repair shop network. This is just my 2 cents. If a 3/4 ton is too big, look into early '80 broncos (9" rear, twin-traction beams, easily 18" of bolt-on front wheel travel, bolt-on 4 links for the rear, big bolt-on 400+ horse power, good c-6 trans, lots of room for carring stuff and sleeping in the rear if need be). Again, just my lowly opinion.
As for your titan, if you have an ealy PC kit, they have since added a sway bar spacer (i have extras here), but you shouldnt be running a sway bar anyway. The cst endlinks will solve your endking probelm, but you still need to space the sway bar or grind the ends. This will prevent the sway bar from cutting the cv boots. Sqeeks are a sign of loose parts or metal-to-metal, if the lower shock uniball is rotated, get acouple rubber washers to put on either side to keep the coilover from rotating. There are really no parts that can squeek besides the coilover mounts or the subframes. The rear springs can squeek like crazy too, ditch the cross bolt on the rear spring-alignment bracket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
PrerunnerGreg said:
I may be asking for a verbal bashing here, but have you thought about just getting a 3/4 Ford or Dodge? By the time you buy everyhting you want you will have more into your Titan (not to mention the time and headaches) than if you bought somehting closer to what you need. Lets see, solid and HUGE axles that will easily support 35 or 37 tires with corresponding large brakes. Turbo deisel...best for your high altitude and long distance runs not to mention plenty of power. Suspension options are in abundance, everything from white shocks to bolt-on 3" bypass units. Weight will not be nearly as critical as the truck can handle all your expedition extras. The remote areas you are going will be more apt to handle repair and replacement parts as Titans dont have nearly the dealer/repair shop network. This is just my 2 cents. If a 3/4 ton is too big, look into early '80 broncos (9" rear, twin-traction beams, easily 18" of bolt-on front wheel travel, bolt-on 4 links for the rear, big bolt-on 400+ horse power, good c-6 trans, lots of room for carring stuff and sleeping in the rear if need be). Again, just my lowly opinion.


Now there's an idea! Had my truck in Barstow last weekend and it did well in the whoops and sand, no problems climbing the loose hills, and easily kept up with a Ranger prerunner in the faster stuff. But sheer size can be troublesome on tight trails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,748 Posts
ptgarcia said:
Now there's an idea! Had my truck in Barstow last weekend and it did well in the whoops and sand, no problems climbing the loose hills, and easily kept up with a Ranger prerunner in the faster stuff. But sheer size can be troublesome on tight trails.
The only trouble on tight trails is immovable objects...LOL brush, bushes and tree lmbs (to a degree) can be shoved out of the way! :upsidedow

My buddy in his Ram got stuck between 2 trees on the last trail drive we did..... He wedged himself in there good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
Yellomantis said:
My buddy in his Ram got stuck between 2 trees on the last trail drive we did..... He wedged himself in there good!
i'd say your buddy ain't the sharpest tool in the shed if he did that. either that or his risk asessment management can use some fine tuning...:teethmast


btw Greg, as always, excellent recommendations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These sites always amaze me. This is not just a 4x for rock crawling - its a hunting rig. A daily driver, a boat caddy and stone hauler and an office at times.

I appreciate your input but - no - don't want a Dodge. I looked at the Dodge - and had visions of that old Force outboard I inheirited one time. You guys remember what F,O,R,C,E stands for? Wasn't one available anyway within 300 miles when I was looking to buy.

I looked at the Ford's and Chevy's too - but they didn't have the right combo available either "but could easily order one for you sir - and have it to you within three weeks"! Everyone I spoke with locally (who owned one or the other) told me about trannies and ret,ret,ret,rut,rot.... that sound the starter makes before the silinoid starts clicking... - and then proclaimed what a piece of xxxx they were and that they wouldn't buy one again. I'd had good luck with the yota's and since I'm always alone and don't want to have to dig through a couple feet of snow to angle that screwdriver just right to get the thing started before spring.... Well - must also not be the sharpest tool in the shed - because I still bought the titan and have to live with it for now.

When someone says they fish on a sport site and - they then must always be the purest flyfisherman?? Nope - not in this case either. Need to use what I have and use it for multiple purpose. Know it isn't perfect - but as I absolutely hate to hear from the mrs... - it is what it is. Wish she'd put away those red and white striped socks - but I bought it didn't I.

I need to do "some" rock crawling and often end up with no paint and less then 3 wheels on the ground. I deal with snow and mud as it comes. I'm using what I have which is the titan - which I bought because it looked like a decent truck - both astetically and from a general function standpoint. One thing for sure - I don't 4x4 to impress anyone at all - and in fact most of the time I'm the only one I end up scaring. Don't care about name brand and don't crawl up a rock unless there is access to "never-neverland" on the other side where I can get away from the crowds and see what I photograph or hunt. Only want to get further off road quietly because this is first a hunting truck. Now before you ask - yep - have a grizzly 660 I drive into the back and use that but again - they are noisy and not very comfortable when your in the sticks for a couple weeks in the snow.

I need a reliable truck and if you cant lift the titan a little without the crap breaking all the time I have no use for the thing. Its a hunting truck and I'm a wildlife photographer so getting in quiet is good. Nope - not girls gone wild unfortunately - but because of that - deisils are a no go. Just as loud as that ATV. And I don't have hours on end to wrench a solution either. I don't mind dumping some more money into it if I can get it reliable and quiet. Seems the truck has been reasonably reliable by itself - only the lift which is a pain right now.

So - I'll start by changing out the rod ends- and then figure out if I have to jump ship and go back to my other older trucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
Call Greg and discuss what you want with him. He'll steer you in the right direction. But you have to call.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
ptgarcia said:
Call Greg and discuss what you want with him. He'll steer you in the right direction. But you have to call.....
umm, i think he's just gonna rant till someone responds with exactly what he wants to hear. personally, i wouldn't have HESITATED to call greg, once the recommendation was made but hey that's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
hooligan said:
umm, i think he's just gonna rant till someone responds with exactly what he wants to hear. personally, i wouldn't have HESITATED to call greg, once the recommendation was made but hey that's just me.


That's my guess also.

You gonna make it to Norco on Sunday? I'm thinking about dropping by since its only a few miles down the 15 from me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,541 Posts
ptgarcia said:
That's my guess also.

You gonna make it to Norco on Sunday? I'm thinking about dropping by since its only a few miles down the 15 from me.
yeah, i was thinking about it. might just make the trip up with the sd contingency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
hooligan said:
yeah, i was thinking about it. might just make the trip up with the sd contingency.

Right on. Bring the chick in your avatar with you...:lick:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top