Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in 2 weeks I'm moving to house in an area that it snows A LOT and my Titan is a 2wd. I bought snow chains for 315/70/17's a long time ago when I had them on my Silverado and kept the chains after I sold it. I've since bought 315/70/17's on the 17" OR Rims used from someone here on the boards in hopes to bolt them on after lifting the truck. So far I've only purchased DR coilovers set at the factory 2". What is my next best step to fit those wheels and tires that I have sitting my garage so I can use my chains? I would like to find a used set of CST spindles but I know they're tough to come by. Help?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Crank your DRs to 2.5" of lift. Some have to do the pinch weld mod, some don't. Probably 2.75" to 3" would be o.k. and might help with less trimming.

I don't think the chains will work though. My friend tore up his fenders with a 6" PC lifted Titan 4x4 and his Tires were 35s ... only 1/2" greater diameter. Of course once you get the tires on you will be able to tell if the chains will work at all.

So, if you can find some stock sized tires, you might want to run them with the chains, if you want keep the chains. The cable chains shown here might clear better on the 34.5s.
http://www.tirechain.com/315-70-17.htm

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NorCal 4x4 said:
Crank your DRs to 2.5" of lift. Some have to do the pinch weld mod, some don't. Probably 2.75" to 3" would be o.k. and might help with less trimming.

I don't think the chains will work though. My friend tore up his fenders with a 6" PC lifted Titan 4x4 and his Tires were 35s ... only 1/2" greater diameter. Of course once you get the tires on you will be able to tell if the chains will work at all.

So, if you can find some stock sized tires, you might want to run them with the chains, if you want keep the chains. The cable chains shown here might clear better on the 34.5s.
http://www.tirechain.com/315-70-17.htm
thanx for the link thats actually where i purchased them from about 4 years ago. i have the v-bar kind so they would definitely f**k some s**t up if they came in contact with the fender. i read on there that as long as the tire width is ok u can shorten the chains by taking links out so i may be able to fit them on my stockers. thanx again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i took off my sway bar today and what a difference! i also cranked my DR's 2 more full turns. i'm not sure what height i'm at now compared to stock but i can't see clearing my 315/70/17's. i'll measure tomorrow. if i crank my shocks to the max i will need new UCA's to clear the coilbuckets on full droop right? also, keep in mind i will only have chains on the rear.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
TitanmediC said:
so i took off my sway bar today and what a difference! i also cranked my DR's 2 more full turns. i'm not sure what height i'm at now compared to stock but i can't see clearing my 315/70/17's. i'll measure tomorrow. if i crank my shocks to the max i will need new UCA's to clear the coilbuckets on full droop right? also, keep in mind i will only have chains on the rear.
Yeah the first part of my post was targeted at fitting the 315s on your Titan. Since you're 2wd and the PRG 2wd level kits are 2.5" of lift, that is a push. But DR states 0" to 3" and I don't think you need Greg's UCA, unless you use the PRG custom 1" spacer he provides with the 4" Performance Pkg. (see link in my sig.), or do a hat flip, (for like a 5" lift, but that will likely have a major impact on droop).. At 3" your ride will be firmer, but I don't think a half inch will hurt much on most Titans as far as excessive bucket hitting.

Just like with a level kit, you need to have your alignment adjusted, or do the Toe-in yourself. It will ruin your tires quick.

I'll find out about the cause of the chain problem on my friend's, but I think it iced up ... giving less clearance and something broke, then the chains beat both the inside and outside of the fenders/bedside. Doesn't look like the v-bars would break very easily at 7+ mm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NorCal 4x4 said:
Yeah the first part of my post was targeted at fitting the 315s on your Titan. Since you're 2wd and the PRG 2wd level kits are 2.5" of lift, that is a push. But DR states 0" to 3" and I don't think you need Greg's UCA, unless you use the PRG custom 1" spacer he provides with the 4" Performance Pkg. (see link in my sig.), or do a hat flip, (for like a 5" lift, but that will likely have a major impact on droop).. At 3" your ride will be firmer, but I don't think a half inch will hurt much on most Titans as far as excessive bucket hitting.

Just like with a level kit, you need to have your alignment adjusted, or do the Toe-in yourself. It will ruin your tires quick...
so i'm thinking if i find some UCA's and get the special spacer from greg i could at least crank my DR's enough for a 4-5" total lift which would clear my 34.5's just fine right?

...and its the camber angles i have to adjust isn't it? not toe-in?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
TitanmediC said:
so i'm thinking if i find some UCA's and get the special spacer from greg i could at least crank my DR's enough for a 4-5" total lift which would clear my 34.5's just fine right?

...and its the camber angles i have to adjust isn't it? not toe-in?
No it's toe-in ... same as level kits. If your chamber is off now, then it will be off after you lift, but toe-in alignment is required within a day or so after leveling.

I believe with the spacer, and aftermarket upper A-arms, the maximum lift on the 2wd is 4", and something close to 3.75" on the 4x4s. For 5" you have to flip the hat, grind and cut away much of you coil bucket, and sacrifice droop.

The only advantage of a hat flip that I think is valid, is for a 4x4, it's is the only way to get more than 3.75" of lift without a bracket lift, and I think there would be more ground clearance. Specific application.

Since you're 2wd, get the CST spindle from PRG, and you can crank the DRs down to 0" or 1" of lift. I don't believe you loose any droop with the 2wd CST 4" spindle. You're there or almost there with the lift that you are after, so no cranking the crap out of the DRs ... so your ride will be way better than cranked to 4". Also, no aftermarket upper is needed if you don't crank the DRs over, (I think 2.5", which is the normal 2wd maximum for stock), because the 2wd CST 4" spindle is like a free bonus, i.e. just like modifying a stock height Titan.

Call Greg, but this sounds cheaper and way better than cranking the DRs, since you are now talking about buying aftermarket uppers. The good ones (PRG brand), are somewhere around $600.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts