Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on how to add trailer wiring for my 08 Titan. For some reason, it doesn't seem like they pre-wired anything for me to add trailer wiring for a 4 prong trailer. I talked to 1 dealer and he looked up the VIN and thought it didn't even have wiring available which seems odd. Anyone heard of this? I'm going to another dealer tomorrow but curious if anyone has any ideas what I can look for under my truck to confirm whether I need full wiring installed or not. I see wires under the back by the spare but can't tell if its for trailer or just the backup sensors.

Appreciate the help in advance!
Darren

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
So far all the Titans have wires for a 7 pin connector, which is what you should install then get an adapter to go down to the flat 4 style connector...

The trailer wires have been wrapped back onto the main wire harness in the rear where a hitch might go...You might have to un-tape part of that harness to find the trailer wires harness hidden in there...Just make believe it's a Easter hunt....:)

If haven't bought a hitch yet, I highly recommend a factory kit from Nissan, it contains a Class IV hitch rated for 10,000 lbs (w/ WD) and all the tow relays needed, 7 pin connector and bracket even the correct length and strength bolts to attach to the frame...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to check it tonight and see if I can find the 7 pin connector. I just had bought the 7 pin connector with the 4 pin attached to it as well. If the 7 pin exists underneath, problem solved! Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes.

-Darren

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed a u haul hitch on mine and put the 7/4 way combo from walmart on the rear bumper, just need to cut the bumper a little. i think i was also lucky cause the dealer gave me and installed what relays i need for my 06 CC LE when i bought it, guess each dealer is diff.
good luck which ever route you go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update, I found it! The 7 pin connector is right under the hitch I had installed to the left of center facing the back. It was taped to the other wires and had a cap on the top. It was easy to pull the cap off and plug in the 7 pin adapter I had purchased. Now, I just need to figure out where to put the metal plate holder . It looks like I'll have to drill holes but that's the least of my worries at this point! Thanks again for the help.
-Darren

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New update...I have the connector installed and since I don't have the trailer until Thursday, I wanted to test it. I bought a tester which is a 7 prong and has 3 lights on it. Well, not a good result. The only light that seems to work is the tail lights (running lights). Turn signals and brake lights don't seem to work. Does this mean I still need relays installed? Again, trying to avoid a costly trip to the dealer!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Turn signals and brake lights don't seem to work. Does this mean I still need relays installed? Again, trying to avoid a costly trip to the dealer!
I do believe your truck needs turn/brake relays...Several members have stated that their local U-Haul has the relays for much cheaper then Nissan...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All is good! Bought the $25 relays at Uhaul (Part number: 13804). It matches the above posting with 2 blue and 1 brown relays. Plugged them in to the matching open spots next to the battery and all lights and signals tested out perfect. Thanks for all the help and hopefully others can find this useful and save time/money from going to the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts