Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Needs Some Advice QUICKLY

:crying: My Brother And I Decided To Service Our Vehicle Today, He Has A Maxima And Me With My Titan @ 1000 Miles. When They Brought It Back To Me There Was A Long Scratch Down To The Metal On The Back Of The Bed About Two Ft Long. I Almost Passed Out. Knowing How Much I Loved This Truck. I Called The Service Guy Over And He Looked At The Scratch And Went To The Back To Talk With The Guys Who Serviced The Vehicle. He Came Back Looked At It Again And Said That There Was No Sign Of Fresh Paint Back There And It Looked Like It Was Rusted. I Could Not Believed What I Was Hearing. I Went Up Spoke With A Manager, He Came Out Looked At The Scratch And Said The Exact Same Thing With The Exception That It Was Not Done There. I Was :flamed: P****ed Off At This Point. Then Finally A Sales Guy Came Up And Said That He Was Admiring My Truck Before It Went In For Service Because I Have A computer In There And There Wasn't Any Scratches On It Then. The Manager Finally Said That They Are Going To Fix It On Monday. They Mention Buffing It Out. But The Paint Is Scratch To The Metal. What Would You Guys Do In A Situation Like This? I Am Sad...upset...frustrated :flame: To The Point Where I Want A Whole New Truck....probaly Unreasonable. I Am Worried About The Dealer Doing A Cheap Job On My Baby... Please Advise Guys...
I'm Sorry For The Long Post

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
dickyn said:
My Brother And I Decided To Service Our Vehicle Today, He Has A Maxima And Me With My Titan @ 1000 Miles. When They Brought It Back To Me There Was A Long Scratch Down To The Metal On The Back Of The Bed About Two Ft Long. I Almost Passed Out. Knowing How Much I Loved This Truck. I Called The Service Guy Over And He Looked At The Scratch And Went To The Back To Talk With The Guys Who Serviced The Vehicle. He Came Back Looked At It Again And Said That There Was No Sign Of Fresh Paint Back There And It Looked Like It Was Rusted. I Could Not Believed What I Was Hearing. I Went Up Spoke With A Manager, He Came Out Looked At The Scratch And Said The Exact Same Thing With The Exception That It Was Not Done There. I Was P****ed Off At This Point. Then Finally A Sales Guy Came Up And Said That He Was Admirimg My Truck Before It Went In For Service Because I Have Acomputer In There And There Wasn't Any Scratches On It Then. The Manager Finally Said That They Are Going To Fix It On Monday. They Mention Buffing It Out. But The Paint Is Scratch To The Metal. What Would You Guys Do In A Situation Like This? I Am Sad...upset...frustrated To The Point Where I Want A Whole New Truck....probaly Unreasonable. I Am Worried About Doing A Cheap Job On My Baby... Please Advise Guys...
BY the looks of it theres no way that it will BUFF Out. A repaint is needed! Dont worry about it, if there going to pay for all the work done, That seems fair to me. I've had to have trucks repainted in the past and as long as the COLOR Match is good theres no problem. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
stevnmd said:
Man, I would be P!$$ED, too!!! Ugh, keep us posted. Just keep on them and make SURE it's fixed RIGHT... My heart goes out to you... I can only imagine how you feel...
Dickyn, stevnmd summed up my feelings on this very well...those pics say it all, and I'm horrified just thinking of how you felt when you saw that on your Titan-that's truly heartbreaking...I can't add much but to say that if they don't do a proper paint job, take the issue directly to Nissan Corporate. This is inexcusable...especially on such a beautiful truck as yours, knowing how we all feel about our Titans...

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Dickyn,

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of service were you having done?

I don't think it is unreasonable for you to want a new truck but I think that it is very unreasonable to think that you will get one. I think that getting a new truck would put you through more agony-getting an exact replacement, waiting for months for a replacement, etc.

Give the dealership a chance to make amends and repair it. Try to get them to give you a snazzy loaner while your Titan is being repaired. Ask about a warranty on the paint job in case it fades after a few years. Also see if they will throw in something for your agony- all weather floor mats, fog lights, or several oil changes etc.

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Bayou is right here...

What I would personally insist on is a warranty covering the work that is done as 'Long as I am the owner' of the truck. Years ago, when we bought an Altima off a lot the dealer had to disclose some acid damage on the trunk. Turned out, 4 years later it was really evident and when we took it back it was - oh, we only warranty that for 3 years.

Bottom line, we learned a lesson. Insist that if they will not replace it that they warranty it for the lifetime of your ownership.

Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING. Bayou Titan , I WAS HAVING MY OIL CHANGED. I WAS ONLY KIDDING ABOUT THE REPLACMENT. I AM WORRIED ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO, SINCE THEY WERE SO RELUCTANT TO ADMIT FAULT. THEY SAID IT MAY TAKE A FEW DAYS. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL TRUCKS BEFORE (TUNDRA, SILVERADO, SIERRA, F-150, S-10) AND THIS IS THE FIRST TRUCK I EVER FALLEN IN LOVE WITH LITERALLY. IN MY BUSINESS I PUT 50,000 MILES A YEAR ON MY VEHICLE EASILY.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dickyn said:
THANK YOU ALL FOR REPLYING. Bayou Titan , I WAS HAVING MY OIL CHANGED. I WAS ONLY KIDDING ABOUT THE REPLACMENT. I AM WORRIED ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO, SINCE THEY WERE SO RELUCTANT TO ADMIT FAULT. THEY SAID IT MAY TAKE A FEW DAYS. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL TRUCKS BEFORE (TUNDRA, SILVERADO, SIERRA, F-150, S-10) AND THIS IS THE FIRST TRUCK I EVER FALLEN IN LOVE WITH LITERALLY. IN MY BUSINESS I PUT 50,000 MILES A YEAR ON MY VEHICLE EASILY.

Typically the dealership bodyshops give "Lifetime warranty" as long as you own it. Our bodyshop does. Buffing will not fix it, it needs to be painted. A professional bodyshop will do a good job. Good Luck, I am sure they will help in the end.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I like to do my own oil changes to eliminate problems like this. It's easy to do yourself if you have all the stuff you need handy. I have seen oil changes done at the dealership where the filters were installed leaking, drain plugs left leaking etc. I like to let mine drain out for 30 minutes to get all of the sediment out. I don't put the plug back until I have less than 1 drip per minute.The last oil that drips out is the most contaminated. I've watched dealerships and express lube places change oil and put the plug back in with a steady stream of oil still coming out! There was a law suit in my city over an express oil company advertising that it was using a major premium oil when in reality they were using a very cheap, low grade, bulk oil. Have you ever been to a lube shop and watched your car during an oil change? You will see an oil gun leading to a drum of oil that is either hidden or unlabeled. I have several free oil changes that I got with my Titan purchase but I am not going to use them. I will ask the dealer for the filters and do the job myself. More work? Yes, but a lot more peace of mind also.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Did you take it to a dealer and if so which dealer?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
34,583 Posts
Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at those photos, that wasn't rust on the scratch. It looked like the primer coat which is always a different color. The bare metal showed no oxidation.

Lucky someone at that dealership stepped up and did the right thing.

You have all sorts of avenues to make sure that the repair is done to your satisfaction. We have a lot of very sharp people on this forum who can give you some very good advice if things don't go the way they should.

Please keep us informed about how this turns out.

We are all aware that this is one of those "but for the grace of God" stories.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I bought my Titan from Gerald in Naperville and have had nothing but good service from them. I am concerned by what I am hearing. Please keep me informed as to how they handle this.

If it comes down to it, do not hesitate to talk to the owner. I have met and talked to him and he seemed real sincere about making sure his customers were very happy. He told me that if I ever had any concerns or problems, not to waste my time and immediately have him contacted. He would do whatever needed to be done to straighten out the problem.

Also, where do you live that you went to No. Aurora? I am in Aurora, on Rt 34 acrosss from Rush Copley Hospital. We should try to get together sometime and show off our new toys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be careful due to trade-in value.

dickyn said:
My Brother And I Decided To Service Our Vehicle Today, He Has A Maxima And Me With My Titan @ 1000 Miles. When They Brought It Back To Me There Was A Long Scratch Down To The Metal On The Back Of The Bed About Two Ft Long. I Almost Passed Out. Knowing How Much I Loved This Truck. I Called The Service Guy Over And He Looked At The Scratch And Went To The Back To Talk With The Guys Who Serviced The Vehicle. He Came Back Looked At It Again And Said That There Was No Sign Of Fresh Paint Back There And It Looked Like It Was Rusted. I Could Not Believed What I Was Hearing. I Went Up Spoke With A Manager, He Came Out Looked At The Scratch And Said The Exact Same Thing With The Exception That It Was Not Done There. I Was P****ed Off At This Point. Then Finally A Sales Guy Came Up And Said That He Was Admirimg My Truck Before It Went In For Service Because I Have Acomputer In There And There Wasn't Any Scratches On It Then. The Manager Finally Said That They Are Going To Fix It On Monday. They Mention Buffing It Out. But The Paint Is Scratch To The Metal. What Would You Guys Do In A Situation Like This? I Am Sad...upset...frustrated To The Point Where I Want A Whole New Truck....probaly Unreasonable. I Am Worried About Doing A Cheap Job On My Baby... Please Advise Guys...
I'm Sorry For The Long Post[/QUOTE

Sorry about your luck. I just traded a perfect Tundra(other than being too small) for my Titan. It's trade-in value was depreciated by $1000 because bodywork due to an accident that was not my fault. They have a device that tested my pant and it indicated that it was not original factory pant. Therefore, they claim they could not sell it as a certified vehicle. I hope this does not become a factor years down the road with your vehicle.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Man that would piss me off!!! I think I probably would have barfed seeing that on my new truck. I would have jumped all over the dealer. It really sucks because it's your word against their with these kind of things and you really can't pissed them off since your at their mercy. I really feel for you...

·
Registered
129 Posts
That really sucks. I was about to ask which dealer you used but I see that it was Gerald Nissan. Seeing as how they were so hesitant to admit fault (and couldn't come up with a creative explanation), I'll be sure to avoid them.

I have a feeling that many Nissan service personnel (ie. not the ASE mechanic, but the porters, etc.) are not accustomed to such a large vehicle, and problems like this are going to happen frequently this year.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called Nissan Corporate up today and they open a file for me and said that if I had any problem with the dealer fixing it to call them back

·
Registered
182 Posts
Strength in Numbers

dickyn said:
:crying: My Brother And I Decided To Service Our Vehicle Today, He Has A Maxima And Me With My Titan @ 1000 Miles. When They Brought It Back To Me There Was A Long Scratch Down To The Metal On The Back Of The Bed About Two Ft Long. I Almost Passed Out. Knowing How Much I Loved This Truck. I Called The Service Guy Over And He Looked At The Scratch And Went To The Back To Talk With The Guys Who Serviced The Vehicle. He Came Back Looked At It Again And Said That There Was No Sign Of Fresh Paint Back There And It Looked Like It Was Rusted. I Could Not Believed What I Was Hearing. I Went Up Spoke With A Manager, He Came Out Looked At The Scratch And Said The Exact Same Thing With The Exception That It Was Not Done There. I Was :flamed: P****ed Off At This Point. Then Finally A Sales Guy Came Up And Said That He Was Admiring My Truck Before It Went In For Service Because I Have A computer In There And There Wasn't Any Scratches On It Then. The Manager Finally Said That They Are Going To Fix It On Monday. They Mention Buffing It Out. But The Paint Is Scratch To The Metal. What Would You Guys Do In A Situation Like This? I Am Sad...upset...frustrated :flame: To The Point Where I Want A Whole New Truck....probaly Unreasonable. I Am Worried About The Dealer Doing A Cheap Job On My Baby... Please Advise Guys...

dickyn:

It might help to copy and hotlink the url address at the start of your post and email it to the Owner or Management of the dealership. Tell them you thought they might like to know we are all watching how they handle this! Send it to Nissan Corp. too. They can read all the replys from members here directly and get the idea! This group has a voice they likely don't want to piss-off! :gunz:

We feel your pain!

NITEBLITZ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank You Guys All For Your Support

Thank You Guys All For Your Support And Concerns. I Am So Glad That We Have Such A Forum. I Stopped By The Dealer Today And They Said That They Found And Fired The Guy That Scratched My Truck And Was Very Helpful This Time Around. I Am Going To Drop The Truck Off Monday And See Where It Goes From There. They Promised That It Will Be Fixed To My Satisfaction. I'LL Keep Everyone Posted.............

1 - 20 of 34 Posts