Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,186 Posts
"They Mention Buffing It Out. But The Paint Is Scratch To The Metal. What Would You Guys Do In A Situation Like This?"

Years ago I bought a brand new Jeep CJ-7 and had clutch problems from day 1. I had it back several times, but the dealer could never get fixed. Eventually, the dealer told me he wasn't going to do anything further.

So I made a great big sign from a piece of poster board, taped it on the side of the Jeep, and legally parked it in on the public street right in front of his dealership, about 10:AM on a Saturday morning. The sign said "THESE ASSHOLES RIPPED ME OFF !!!!"

Shortly thereafter the Jeep was in the service bay getting a new clutch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First off sorry to hear about your truck. Second off, just get it repainted. It shouldn't hurt your trade-in value just because it won't show up on the title or a carfax maybe, if they ran it through the system. Also, I have had my Ram repainted & if some dealership tries to tell me it will depreciate then I say it's not my fault that I got bad paint on my truck from the factory because it was warranted? Good luck & let us know how things go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Follow Up

I picked up my truck from the dealer today after being there for three nights. It was dark so I didn't get a chance to look at the details. With the amount of light I had to work with it looks okay. The only thing I was not happy about was that they put a 100 miles on my odometer and didn't even fill my tank back up. Should I make a big deal about this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree that nobody is going to care that a part of a panel has been repainted. Auto appraisers have some kind of instrument (ultrasound device?) that can instantly determine if a panel has been repainted. But with your panel it should be obvious that it was the result of a scratch rather than an accident. So it wouldn't affect resale value.

As for the 100 mile trip, I would bring it up in a nonconfrontational way and see what they have to say. If you don't like what you hear, then give them a hard time. Maybe they'll say "we brought your truck to the best paint shop in Chicagoland, and it was 50 miles away".

·
Registered
190 Posts
If not the best place in town then maybe every schmuck in the back took it for a drag race. I would not be very happy..

·
Premium Member
17,186 Posts
dickyn said:
I picked up my truck from the dealer today after being there for three nights. It was dark so I didn't get a chance to look at the details. With the amount of light I had to work with it looks okay. The only thing I was not happy about was that they put a 100 miles on my odometer and didn't even fill my tank back up. Should I make a big deal about this?
Yes! I would check everything very closely. Those 100 miles might have been 400 1/4 miles at the track.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pissed

dickyn said:
I would be pissed! I would make sure they had a VERY good explanation.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I do know that Gerald Nissan's body repair and paint center is at their Olds/Suburu dealership at Rt 34 and Naperville Road. They would have had to drive it there and back but 100 miles seems like 80 miles more than necessary from their N. Aurora AutoMall dealership.

Maybe they drove it over, did the work, drove it back and didn't like the results and did it all over again.

Either way, I would definately ask where the work was done and how they drove it 100 miles and still expect you to pay for the gas. Don't let them play games with you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I called the dealer this morning and the service manager told me that they took the car to a bodyshop thats (naperville) 10 miles away and the manager of that location drove it back himself. He did not give me a good explanation of the miles. I want to know if there was any kid racing down the road with my truck? What would should I do?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
UPDATE

Spoke with GM and he said that they drove over to the shop and had to give the transporter a ride back because they were short on vehicle, so they decided to use my vehicle as a transporter without my permission and "sorry, but the miles are already on it"

BOTTOM LINE

DON'T BUY A CAR FROM :crying:GERALD NISSAN

·
Registered
514 Posts
Man, sounds like a lot of monkey business there. I hope you have another Nissan dealer close to do any other repairs. I'd be scared to take it back there for anything..

·
Registered
230 Posts
dickyn said:
UPDATE

Spoke with GM and he said that they drove over to the shop and had to give the transporter a ride back because they were short on vehicle, so they decided to use my vehicle as a transporter without my permission and "sorry, but the miles are already on it"

BOTTOM LINE

DON'T BUY A CAR FROM :crying:GERALD NISSAN

I'd go back and raise hell. Speak with the General Manager and don't take any answer other than "here's a check for the gas and mileage".

That's total crap that they used your car without your permission. I'm a police officer i'd say tell the GM you're gonna call the police and have them file a report for "unauthorized use" of your vehicle. They cannot argue the point, because you did not have the truck in for mechanical work that would require it to be driven anywhere for testing, etc and you did not authorize it to be driven off the lot.

Fear of having the cops show up at their dealership and scaring off some potential customers would probably grease the wheels a little.

·
Super Moderator
34,583 Posts
Sabre66 said:
I'd go back and raise hell. Speak with the General Manager and don't take any answer other than "here's a check for the gas and mileage".

That's total crap that they used your car without your permission. I'm a police officer i'd say tell the GM you're gonna call the police and have them file a report for "unauthorized use" of your vehicle. They cannot argue the point, because you did not have the truck in for mechanical work that would require it to be driven anywhere for testing, etc and you did not authorize it to be driven off the lot.

Fear of having the cops show up at their dealership and scaring off some potential customers would probably grease the wheels a little.
Sounds like a civil issue not a criminal one (although it might feel criminal!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
37L1 said:
Sounds like a civil issue not a criminal one (although it might feel criminal!)
It is civil, but we have to go to calls like this almost daily. Usually having an officer in the establishment is good way to say you're serious. It pisses most cops off to run these calls, but for me if i see someone getting screwed i do what i can for them (that goes for the business owner or patron). It works both ways though because we run calls for business owners all the time regarding disorderly patrons, loitering, etc.

I'm all about "fair, equal and impartial" assistance.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts