Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nobody has these in stock so i special ordered the part (X-1022-BB) on 3/24/09 through Summit Racing over the phone. all the new INJEN products are going to be paired w/ these dry filters and none were available to purchase separately yet, hence the special order. was about $68 shipped. ETA was april 10 but it arrived a week early :redblob" :clap:

the swap is simple enough that even I was able to do it :teethmast took about an hour for this newbie but i had some minor distractions as you will see.

pic #1:
new filter in the box.

pic #2:
the power box needed some coaxing to get out w/out having to disassemble the whole thing, but it eventually came out.

pic #3:
new filter vs. old filter which had about 16k miles on it. didn't actually look all that dirty to my untrained eye. and i kinda like the red better but who really cares..

pic #4:
marriage:

pic #5, 6, 7:
my 3yo niece decides she wants to come and hang out in my truck. musta been boring cuz then she decides she wants to ride her tricycle..... IN my truck :huh:

apparently that didn't work out and i turned my back for a second and she decides to make a dirt pie out of the filter mount :bangit: :lol:

i gave her the box it came w/ to play w/ instead...

pic #8, 9, 10:
observing the power box, it's taken a lil bit of a beating under the hood. i got it used but don't remember those scratches being there.

so after reinstalling it i did my best to move it away from the edge by screwing it on to the rubber bump stop further to the right; it was more inward previously. it's pretty close to the edge so i'll be keeping an eye out but it's screwed on there pretty good.

pic #11, 12, 13, 14, 15:
decided to give the MAF sensor a once over to make sure all is well. been having a hard idle issue ever since the dealer touched her over 1k miles ago for her 15k service. they changed the fuel sending unit around the same time which threw a code soon after (evap leak). hard idle is still there :confused::confused::confused::confused:

i'm pretty short so i couldn't see the screws to remove the MAF so i grabbed my lil mirror to see what i was doing, and sure enough....

was my 1st time crawling under my truck :lol:

MAF sensor looks clean, i think..

so that's it! turned her on to make sure i didn't screw anything up and all seems to be well :)

..EXCEPT for that hard idle :confused: i did find a way that i'm going to show the nissan techs what i'm talking about. as i was sitting in the truck in park and giving it some gas, i could feel the rough idle at it's hardest at about 2.3k RPM. going passed 3.5k you couldn't even really feel it anymore and it smoothed out to what i've always been used to. was still present between 0-1k and a tiny bit less between 1k-2k, but at 2.3k it really starts to shake pretty good. i'm going back on tuesday to show them something's not right...

·
Registered
170 Posts
man this is great info, i am do for a new one. thx!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep, and you can get the INJEN CAI with the Amsoil filter from Amsoil for $376. Part Number - PF19501P-EA

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, and you can get the INJEN CAI with the Amsoil filter from Amsoil for $376. Part Number - PF19501P-EA
yep! and for those looking for just a replacement filter, the new AMSOIL filters are going to be priced the same as the old oiled replacements :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good info there! This will definitely be useful when its time to replace mine. Thanks

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thanks for the info Giimmelub! I wonder what the difference in the Maf gm/s readings are between the oiled filter and the dry one? BTW, yes your Maf is clean. I've seen one that was very dirty, the barbs were close to black....but I won't mention any names. :)

Reactions: giimmelub

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
thanks for the info!!!
this is what I've been looking into

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Giimmelub! I wonder what the difference in the Maf gm/s readings are between the oiled filter and the dry one? BTW, yes your Maf is clean. I've seen one that was very dirty, the barbs were close to black....but I won't mention any names. :)
ahhhhh thank you for the confirmation! :) i assure u i am not the one to discuss the gm/s readings, i do not know what that is :teethmast i can tell you, however, that it feels GREAT to have a brand new dry filter under there. sounds just as mean as before and i now have the reassurance that my MAF is going to stay clean and that all i'll have to do to clean this bad boy is suck all that nasty cali air and dirt outta there w/ a vacuum :redblob"

very happy this info is benefiting the masses :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
giimme, i'm impressed getting your hands all dirty and wrenching on your trucka!!! awesome! btw, thanks for the summit link! i just cleaned my AEM oiled filter which had a layer of desert dust which was coated on the oiled air filter like mold on bread. gonna order up this filter as i've been looking for a dry filter alternative.

also, my MAF sensor looked like yours and my idle was rough and would surge. but i doused it with CRC MAF cleaner ( CRC Industries - CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, 11 oz. (05110) ) and the idle went from rough to smoove! and the surging idle has become a thing of the past. i wasn't sure how well the spray would work but it's impressed me to say the least! i would try it...

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
I went to Amsoil.com and found the Injen CAI w/the EA filter for $376

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
ahhhhh thank you for the confirmation! :) i assure u i am not the one to discuss the gm/s readings, i do not know what that is :teethmast i can tell you, however, that it feels GREAT to have a brand new dry filter under there. sounds just as mean as before and i now have the reassurance that my MAF is going to stay clean and that all i'll have to do to clean this bad boy is suck all that nasty cali air and dirt outta there w/ a vacuum :redblob"

very happy this info is benefiting the masses :thumbsup:

LOL no worries. Yeah you may want to try the CRC just for peace of mind. But it sounds like the dealer screwed something up... maybe you have a vacuum leak. Is there another dealer in the area you could try?

also, my MAF sensor looked like yours and my idle was rough and would surge. but i doused it with CRC MAF cleaner ( CRC Industries - CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner, 11 oz. (05110) ) and the idle went from rough to smoove! and the surging idle has become a thing of the past. i wasn't sure how well the spray would work but it's impressed me to say the least! i would try it...
Yes, the CRC is some good stuff. I'm sure with all that fun you have in the dirt and with an oiled filter your MAF was dirty. Hooli you may want to get a pre-filter to help keep the filter clean. I have one on my other car since the filter goes down into the fender a few inches from the ground. Helps keep it clean especially since cleaning it requires removing the wheel. Kind of a pain in the a*&! Check it out...Outerwears, Inc. - Original manufacturer of Pre-Filters & Shockwears

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Yes, the CRC is some good stuff. I'm sure with all that fun you have in the dirt and with an oiled filter your MAF was dirty. Hooli you may want to get a pre-filter to help keep the filter clean. I have one on my other car since the filter goes down into the fender a few inches from the ground. Helps keep it clean especially since cleaning it requires removing the wheel. Kind of a pain in the a*&! Check it out...Outerwears, Inc. - Original manufacturer of Pre-Filters & Shockwears
oh, i had a prefilter that was a K&N prefilter and worked great for normal use. but with a preoiled filter the oil would transfer to the prefilter and then the dirt/dust would cake on the prefilter and embed itself in between the pleats. i guess it was a good thing cause the filter itself would stay pretty clean. i cleaned the prefilter and let it dry and then it was gone. have no idea where it went and have never seen it since. so, gonna order up the injen/amsoil filter and then get another prefilter and i think the prefilter which is hydrobaric as well if no one knew, will work better with a dry filter cause it won't get any oil transferred onto it. but ya, thanks Gary... prefilters do an excellent job of providing an excellent flowing pre-media.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL no worries. Yeah you may want to try the CRC just for peace of mind. But it sounds like the dealer screwed something up... maybe you have a vacuum leak. Is there another dealer in the area you could try?[/url]
i showed the weird idle to my dad and he seems to think it's just a sign of age and things "loosening up." so it's normal i guess? :confused: maybe i'm just being too OCD about my baby :teethmast

giimme, i'm impressed getting your hands all dirty and wrenching on your trucka!!! awesome! btw, thanks for the summit link! i just cleaned my AEM oiled filter which had a layer of desert dust which was coated on the oiled air filter like mold on bread. gonna order up this filter as i've been looking for a dry filter alternative.

hehe it was a pretty awesome feeling pulling stuff out and putting it back together again :bouncy: i'll definitely look into the CRC cleaner, thanks! :)

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
so Giimmelub, how do the truck run now? This is the set up I'm installing from Amsoil

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so Giimmelub, how do the truck run now? This is the set up I'm installing from Amsoil
everything seems to be just fine :) took the T on quickie road trip to Vegas and made it back in one piece despite the quiver. didn't take it in to the dealer on tuesday, tho. had to cancel that appointment. but as far as the intake and the filter everything is saWEET :thumbsup:

Reactions: ArmyAviation

·
Premium Member
20,597 Posts
Thanks for the info on getting an Injen through AMSoil with a dry filter. I didn't know that. When I was shopping for a CAI I wanted an Injen based on the great reviews but I didn't want an oiled filter. Maybe it's time to swap from the Volant to Injen. Hmmm.....

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I just checked and they're showing $520 :huh:
ya, if you already have a CAI you can always just add a dry filter. in my case i just purchased an AEM dryflow filter to swap out my AEM oiled filter out. performance gains between CAIs are so minimal and negligible that it really doesn't matter what brand you get so long as it has or offers a dry filter or you can always just add a dry filter such as and injen, volant or aem dryflow so long as you get the correct size.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts